To kill a mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
***josh***
Bookshelf Size: 0

To kill a mockingbird

Post by ***josh*** »

Hello, I have to read this book for school, and I'm missing half of pages 111, and 112. If anyone would be able to wright down what it says on those 2 pages, I would be grateful.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

Which publisher and edition is it from? I just found this book in a charity shop today :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
***josh***

Post by ***josh*** »

uh, I'm not sure where to find the stuff you're looking for, but it's a yellow colored book. Published in 1985, by warner brooks, I'm not sure where to find the edition part.
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

Josh
Sacrifice the money you might have spent on your next three hamburgers, ten itunes, or anything else, and go buy a new one. You will own it, love it, write notes in it, and pass it on to your children. They will love you for it.
Failing that, there are many of us familiar with the text. Ask a specific question. You will get food to write the best essay ever from the avid readers of this site.
paulineee

Post by paulineee »

Lucinda wrote:Josh
Sacrifice the money you might have spent on your next three hamburgers, ten itunes, or anything else, and go buy a new one. You will own it, love it, write notes in it, and pass it on to your children. They will love you for it.
Failing that, there are many of us familiar with the text. Ask a specific question. You will get food to write the best essay ever from the avid readers of this site.
i agree! lol ive only decided to actually BUY novels for school on my senior year .. i regret not having done so in the earlier years ... it makes life sooo much easier ...
TeddyP

Post by TeddyP »

This book is amazing - it is worth it to read the whole thing.
akankssha23

Post by akankssha23 »

I've only recently read the book...
I guess one of the factors to have contributed to its success is how the writer has actually imagined the child's perspective and written about it in a manner that makes it lucid for the reader as well... a child doesn't know skin color or literacy level .. it only knows what is taught to him/her..
we take the world as it is for granted, not knowing the difficult lives that were led by the colored people back then; an eye opener for me at least!
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

wonderful book.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

"The one thing that does not abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience,” states Atticus Finch. The novel, set in the South during the 1930’s, was written at a time of segregation in American History. Atticus Finch, a lawyer defending a black man, Tom Robinson, who is accused of raping a white woman. Upon visual examination, it is clear that Tom could not have injured the woman due to a handicap, however the family testimony insists Tom inflicted said injury. Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Tom is convicted and sentenced. Hard visual evidence to the contrary, the black man is still convicted of a crime. To Kill a Mockingbird illustrates the ferocious prejudice in the South at that time in society.
Classified as classic literature, I wonder if at this time in our society, the youth would even understand this piece except as a history lesson. Mockingbird is a coming of age book, and exemplifies individual thought formation and consequences of moral action. However, since the Civil Rights Act, many instances of prejudice and racism have been diminished, hence the history lesson for today’s youth.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by miztree46 »

I mostly liked the book because Atticus tells his children the truth and doesn't try to gloss things over with them. Scout, attempts to get her way and her father’s skill of keep her on the straight and narrow made me laugh. I also appreciated profound wisdom that is subtly revealed Jem made amends for his bad behavior.

Although I liked the book, I didn’t like the fact that the father was wise during most of the book but didn't seem to exercise this wisdom toward the end of the story.

From a writer’s point of view I think Harper Lee is brilliant. Her story line flowed, evoked emotion, and her writing style allowed me to picture the world the characters inhabited.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
ekensak

Post by ekensak »

One of my very favorite books, and I happen to be reading it aloud to my children this week. We live where it snows often, so they laughed and laughed when Scout didn't know what the snow was. It happened to be snowing at our house while I read that very chapter.
Grouchiegirl119
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grouchiegirl119.html
Latest Review: "The Backside of Nowhere" by Alec Clayton

Post by Grouchiegirl119 »

One of my favorites as well and one of the few books I've ever reread. It's about time to read it again. My son read it recently and he mentioned a few things I'd forgotten. Lee writes in the pure voice of a child so magnificently...
Latest Review: "The Backside of Nowhere" by Alec Clayton
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

I had to read it for GCSE and instantly thought it was going to be rubbish but I was so wrong. I really enjoyed it and read it loads of times. My mum also read it and it is now her favourite book.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Amazing book but it has been axed from the national curriculum
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I NEED to read this book! I am surprised I made it through high school without it being assigned to me.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison

Return to “Classic Books”