Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dimes
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimes.html

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by dimes »

Everyone's been recommending Pride and Prejudice now, so I'm going to go for some underdogs.

I recommend The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a gripping mystery which kept me at the edge of my seat throughout the whole. I started off listening to the audiobook, but I got so impatient to find out what happened that I dug out my physical copy and started reading it at full speed. The Woman in White is written in the form of diary entries from the perspectives of various characters within the story. It starts off with Walter Hartright, drawing master, encountering a woman in white on a lonely road on his way to London. He is later hired to teach the beautiful Laura Fairlie and her half-sister Marion Halcombe, and gets embroiled in finding out who or what the woman in white is.

Another recommendation I would like to venture to give is The Chronicles of Barsetshire by Anthony Trollope. This is a series of about 6 novels, starting with The Warden. The writing may be a bit draggy, especially if you're new to reading classics, but the barb and wit with which Trollope writes this exposition on the clergymen of Barsetshire is unparalleled. I have only read the first 2 novels but I am fully intending to read the rest eventually. I absolutely love his writing here. Trollope has also written the Palliser series (also six novels), starting with Can You Forgive Her?, which I also enjoyed but I found that it was not as light-hearted as The Chronicles of Barsetshire.
Lizzy25
Currently Reading: Scarlett
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzy25.html

Post by Lizzy25 »

My top favorite classic titles include: A Tale of Two Cities, Gone With the Wind and anything by Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice though is my all. time. favorite. book.

Nothing compares to the relationship between Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I absolutely love Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. The reader follows Janie throughout her life as she searches for what she needs. It is a great story of love and struggle. Whenever I am at a loss for something to read l, I always reach for this book.
boog
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boog.html

Post by boog »

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton is always so magical for me to read. It's absurd to think that only one hundred years ago, women were merely adornments upon a marriage, upon their husband's arm. I love that the book, for its time, questioned societal norms.

An amusing moral of the story could be: "Don't fall in love with your fiance's tempestuous cousin."
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

I like some of the Classics like The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. A Brave New World is good too.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
ollesternberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ollesternberg »

A good book always makes a good present: This we hold to be true. The wealth of literary options can be both liberating and daunting. Looking for a quality new read? There’s no shortage of lists of the best books of 2015 circulating. But what about those books that have stuck around, and really stood the test of time?
lohit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lohit »

I must agree with The Tuggernaut. Crime and Punishment is a complex classical book and I love it.

-- 02 Apr 2017, 02:22 --

I must agree with The Tuggernaut. Crime and Punishment is a complex classical book and I love it.
Zoey141
Currently Reading: elephant vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Zoey141 »

The Brothers Karamazov and Notes from the Underground.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

For lovers of crime and thriller books like me, I recommend the Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. You will have great fun comparing the detecting principles of the present (DNA and technology have simplified evidence-gathering.) versus the olden times (Sherlock's method is "founded upon the observation of trifles.") So, "the game is afoot."
Redcraze
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Redcraze »

I've always thought it odd that Sherlock Holmes views the world with rigorous logic yet his creator, Arthur Conan Doyle was a dingbat who believed in spiritualism and fairies.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness is one of my favorite classical novels. I highly recommend this book if you're a fan of the movie Apocolypse Now because it's based almost completely on the ideas and themes presented in Conrad's novel. This novel is so amazing because of its unreliable narrator, Marlow, and his changing perceptions of the African Congo, African people, and colonization as a whole. The book is amazingly progressive for its time, revealing not only a lot about race politics during its release but also in modern day. People today still learn a great deal from Heart of Darkness in regards to the powers of greed and globalization, and that's just the mark of a true classic. It's persisted through time and resides on my book shelf to this day.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I would recommend any of the Sherlock Holmes books because even though there have been plenty of movies and television series; the books are fantastic. I am almost done with my complete Sherlock Holmes book and I am glad that I asked for it for Christmas three years ago.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Katherine Smith wrote:I would recommend any of the Sherlock Holmes books because even though there have been plenty of movies and television series; the books are fantastic. I am almost done with my complete Sherlock Holmes book and I am glad that I asked for it for Christmas three years ago.
Yes, indeed! I have all the books myself. "That's elementary, my dear Katherine!"
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

Surely someone here has read "Watership Down" by Richard Adams? It's centered on a warren of rabbits who must set out to find a new home. Adams' creates a real culture for the rabbits including their own mythology and their personalities are so unique as to make them unforgettable. You will be emotionally invested in these rabbits until the very last page. This book can be very dark and apocalyptic sometimes so read it before giving it to your children.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Lus
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Lus »

The Tuggernaut wrote:I recently read Fyodyr Dostoyevsky's paragon of classic Russian literature, Crime and Punishment. The protagonist of the novel is a young intellectual student who resides in St. Petersburg, named Raskolnikov. He lives in squalid poverty and murders an immoral pawn-broker for what originally appears to be her possessions. But, as Dostoyevsky delves deeper into the mind of Raskolnikov, the reader finds more intriguing motives for his crime, and Raskolnikov seems to view himself as a great man (he is constantly comparing himself to Napolean) that is exempt from moral law. In this page-turner Raskolnikov attempts to avoid arrest and redeem himself by helping the poor family of a prostitute. This novel was written by Dostoyevsky as an attempt to combat the growing Russian nihilism of the time period, and the author sternly reminds us that nobody is above moral law, whether your punishment comes in the form of imprisonment or grief and remorse.

one of my favorite books. We had it in our school program, but back then you read it as a crime story and you don't understand the whole deep meaning behind. I would recommend to read it in the mature age.

-- 04 Jul 2017, 02:21 --
Miriam Molina wrote:
Katherine Smith wrote:I would recommend any of the Sherlock Holmes books because even though there have been plenty of movies and television series; the books are fantastic. I am almost done with my complete Sherlock Holmes book and I am glad that I asked for it for Christmas three years ago.
Yes, indeed! I have all the books myself. "That's elementary, my dear Katherine!"
Great book and movies are cool too.

Return to “Classic Books”