Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Jeyasivananth »

My favourite classic books will always be Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, Sons and Lovers by D H Lawrence.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

When it comes to Thomas Hardy, my favourites are 'Far from the madding crowd' (just about the only one with a happy ending) and 'The Mayor of Casterbridge'.
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

Sometimes classic books can be a little weighty, or a little sad, so I think if someone is looking for a great classic book that is a bit lighter both in scope and tone, then Jane Austen is a perfect author. Emma and Pride and Prejudice are both wonderful classic novels, full of all of the intricacies of Victorian England, and mixing sharp wit and blossoming love in such a way that every page holds your attention.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice because it has an expansive vocabulary and I enjoy the formal style of writing. Another favorite: Walden by Henry David Thoreau. It's an eye-opener about a simple lifestyle.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I'm not sure If this book is considered a classic yet, but one of my favourite books is The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. The story takes place in the future after the world was devastated by a nuclear war and society has been thrown back to the age of horse and buggy. Religion is strict in this new world and it is believe that anyone born with a physical mutation, called a Deviant, must be destroyed or exiled. But what happens when your mutation is telepathy and no one else knows but the other kids who live near by with the same ability? David and the others must try and hide their ability from their families and community if they want to survive.
This book is a quick read full of detailed description and an engaging plot. It's also the only book I was made to read in high school English that I actually liked.
kelvok2014
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 33
2024 Reading Goal: 726
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by kelvok2014 »

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Betty Smith’s 1943 classic is a coming-of-age tale about a second-generation Irish-American girl named Francie who lives in Williamsburg with her family. The story focuses on an impoverished but aspirational adolescent girl and her family living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York City, during the first two decades of the 20th century. The book was an immense success.

The main metaphor of the book is the hardy Tree of Heaven, whose persistent ability to grow and flourish even in the inner city mirrors the protagonist's desire to better herself.
kelvok2014
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 33
2024 Reading Goal: 726
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by kelvok2014 »

To Kill a Mockingbird By Harper Lee

Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird was published in 1960 and became an immediate classic of literature. The novel examines racism in the American South through the innocent wide eyes of a clever young girl named Jean Louise Finch. Its iconic characters, most notably the sympathetic and just lawyer and father Atticus Finch, served as role models and changed perspectives in the United States at a time when tensions regarding race were high.

The novel is renowned for its warmth and humor, despite dealing with the serious issues of rape and racial inequality. The narrator's father, Atticus Finch, has served as a moral hero for many readers and as a model of integrity for lawyers. One critic explains the novel's impact by writing, "In the twentieth century, To Kill a Mockingbird is probably the most widely read book dealing with race in America, and its protagonist, Atticus Finch, the most enduring fictional image of racial heroism
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Libs_Books wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 15:27 When it comes to Thomas Hardy, my favourites are 'Far from the madding crowd' (just about the only one with a happy ending) and 'The Mayor of Casterbridge'.
I absolutely love The Mayor of Casterbridge. I haven't read Far From The Madding Crowd yet, but I am planning to read it soon. I did try his short story collection Under The Greenwood Tree once. But could not finish it. It was a cheerful book though :D
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Crazybud wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 04:49 I absolutely love The Mayor of Casterbridge. I haven't read Far From The Madding Crowd yet, but I am planning to read it soon. I did try his short story collection Under The Greenwood Tree once. But could not finish it. It was a cheerful book though :D
If you're going to see a film, I recommend the old (1967) one, rather than the more recent one. I'd usually say that books are better than films, but Hardy can be tough going, so the film can give you a good overview - on the other hand, it does rather spoil the surprises.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:38
Crazybud wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 04:49 I absolutely love The Mayor of Casterbridge. I haven't read Far From The Madding Crowd yet, but I am planning to read it soon. I did try his short story collection Under The Greenwood Tree once. But could not finish it. It was a cheerful book though :D
If you're going to see a film, I recommend the old (1967) one, rather than the more recent one. I'd usually say that books are better than films, but Hardy can be tough going, so the film can give you a good overview - on the other hand, it does rather spoil the surprises.
Yeah, Hardy's books are a bit tough, and hard to get through sometimes. I didn't know of the older movie, I'll be sure to check it out. But yes, movies always tend to do that :) Can't beat the book.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

kutty wrote: 02 Jun 2009, 07:03 Try Lynn Viehl's Darkyn series. It's romance but it is strongly laced with urban fantasy. This series is also darker than your standard vampire related paranormal romance. If you want to try something a bit different that is fast paced and has humor, try Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Another excellent paranormal series is Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. Does not involved vampires, but rather shifters, and it is superbly written. The setting is futuristic.

Have you read Anne Rice? Interview with the Vampire is exactly what you describe, and there are sequels too. Very dark and gothic.

There's also the classics, like Dracula (Bram Stoker) and Frankenstein (Mary Shelley) but they may or may not be holiday reading to you!

Ever, to the outside world, is an ordinary 16yr old girl. But she isn't. Ever since her family died in a ccident she somehow survived back into the world with a gift that she thinks she would be better out- a psychic gift and seeing auras. She wants to be normal, and handsome Damen helps her do exactly that..she tries not to show that she like him, but of course she does..when they touch...when he speaks..he's the only thing in the world. but whats more strange is that he doesn't have an aura. Only dead people dont have aura...but if he isnt dead..what is he?

Brotherhood of the Black Dagger by JR Ward.
Yasmine Galenorn - 3 sisters, one is a witch, one is a vampire and one is a death maiden and they are half fae.
Karen Marie Moning - fae series

well my moms reading this one series i think its a Sookie Stackhouse novel their vampire books the HBO show True Blood is based on them

read A LOT So here are some titles that are pretty good. If you have anymore questions or want to know something on a book please feel to contact me

Peeps: Scoot Westerfeld

Tantilize: Cynthia Lertich Smith

The secret Circle: L.J Smith

Blue bloods series: Melissa Delacruz

The House of Night Series: P.C Cast and Kristen Cast

The Vampire Chronicales: Anne Rice

The Beasties: William Sleator

Prom Nights form hell: Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele jaffe, Stephenie Meyer, Lauren Myracle.

[Moderation note: Seven consecutive posts by same user combined into 1 post.]
Wow. I really like it, I think I just might try it even though old fashioned.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
somsnam_16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: pdf

Post by somsnam_16 »

Jane Austen,Charles Dickens, Alexandre Dumas,R. K. Narayan,Ruskin Bond and many more are the best classic book authors of all time. Whether its Emma of Jane Austin or The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas its all are the best books of all time.
Hey Alyssa
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Hey Alyssa »

I would like to recommend The Diary of Anne Frank! It is definitely a must read book. Not only did Anne Frank describes her attempt to survive in the holocaust during WW2, but she also has an incredible view towards life. Her tragic story with her family was undoubtedly heartbreaking, and yet she remains brave and strong throughout her lifetime. I really idolize her for that.
armchair_bookworm
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by armchair_bookworm »

I had to read "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger in my young adult literature course, during my undergrad. I was one of the few people in the class who really enjoyed this book. As one of the first true coming-of-age novels to be written, it gives a voice to a generation of kids who were expected to grow up fast. The entire story takes place within a day, from the point of view of Holden Caulfield. Holden becomes an iconic rebel exploring complex issues such as innocence, identity, belonging and human connection. It is a relatively short read but it is a treasure trove of deep thoughts, issues, and relatable experiences. I highly recommend reading "The Catcher in the Rye" is you have not already. It is one of my favorite books.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Lolita.
I cry every time.

Return to “Classic Books”