Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissat0097
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Melissat0097 »

Grimm's complete Fairy Tales. I got this book from Barnes and Nobles. It was nice to read the stories like Red riding hood and Cinderella the way they were written and not a rewrite of it. Most of these stories I grow up hearing and seeing in cartoons but never read the original version of them until now. I would recommended reading it if you haven't already.
dogsrplayful
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogsrplayful.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by dogsrplayful »

In terms of classics, I must say I'm a big fan of Dickens' "Great Expectations." I definitely can't disagree with others posting about Crime and Punishment, though :)
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I really enjoy The Pearl by John Steinbeck. It's worth a few hours to sit with this work and absorb the melancholy, music, danger, and injustice of it all. Steinbeck is masterful in his descriptions and in his ability to evoke righteous indignation in the reader.

Frankly, anything by Steinbeck is worth another read.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
book worm1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by book worm1 »

Last year I read The Call of the Wild by Jack London to my 12 year old daughter. I thought that it was a great adventure story for her. She wanted to give up but I decided to read it aloud. I had forgotten the richness of the language. She was not a strong enough reader to make the leap on her own. I had originally given it to her to read for a school assignment. We both enjoyed the story of Buck, a dog from California, being stolen and ending up in the north and how he survives. Classic books have a different cadence. Sometimes it is like reading in a different language. We are transported to previous times and places through the classics.
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

I would recommend Bram Stokers Dracula or the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

The Mythwriter wrote: 15 Aug 2009, 00:17 Everyone has at least heard of "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, but I'm always surprised by how few seem to enjoy it. I'll admit that its true that the the plot, or rather plots, are very numerous and seemingly disjointed; yet the way they weave together in the end is simply genius, and I would think any who complain that plot lines are too linear these days would get their fix for life from this book.

I can only imagine that the complaints arise from how often the viewpoint jumps, and it's pretty hard to follow for awhile. In fact, I found myself really lost at a few points as to how anything was relevant. But when the conclusion comes around, and you see what everyone and everything is all about, your mind just reels from all the meaning you can draw from it!

Sydney Carton is definitely one of the most profound characters I know. A life of perpetual disappoint would lead so many to choose so differently, and especially when they could have benefited from it like he could have. But when he makes his final choice... not only giving his life a final purpose, but to define the height of true love and nobility, brings out the best of humanity we all hope actually exists in us.

This book will forever be one of my favorites... I wish I could talk about it for pages, but no one would read the post, haha! But the best way is to read it yourself.
This book is one of my all time favorites. Even in high school, I read it multiple times outside of required reading simply for the enjoyment. I loved the excitement of the political movement coupled with the turmoil of personal relationships.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Anything from Edgar Allan Poe or Gabriel García Marquez will do it for me when it comes to classical books
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

raikyuu wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 22:46 If one is a fan of "1984", I would also suggest "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Like 1984, "A Brave New World" also explores a dystopian-themed society where everyone is segregated according to their biology, and they don't have a problem with it. It is a good classic because one can't tell who the enemy is, or rather there is really an enemy or not.
Yes, Orwell will always be my favorite author!! Animal Farm is another great classic that I think everyone should read!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Gone with the Wind and Thorn Birds: all time favorites at the moment. :)
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

RebeccasReading wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 08:48
The Mythwriter wrote: 15 Aug 2009, 00:17 Everyone has at least heard of "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, but I'm always surprised by how few seem to enjoy it. I'll admit that its true that the the plot, or rather plots, are very numerous and seemingly disjointed; yet the way they weave together in the end is simply genius, and I would think any who complain that plot lines are too linear these days would get their fix for life from this book.

I can only imagine that the complaints arise from how often the viewpoint jumps, and it's pretty hard to follow for awhile. In fact, I found myself really lost at a few points as to how anything was relevant. But when the conclusion comes around, and you see what everyone and everything is all about, your mind just reels from all the meaning you can draw from it!

Sydney Carton is definitely one of the most profound characters I know. A life of perpetual disappoint would lead so many to choose so differently, and especially when they could have benefited from it like he could have. But when he makes his final choice... not only giving his life a final purpose, but to define the height of true love and nobility, brings out the best of humanity we all hope actually exists in us.

This book will forever be one of my favorites... I wish I could talk about it for pages, but no one would read the post, haha! But the best way is to read it yourself.
This book is one of my all time favorites. Even in high school, I read it multiple times outside of required reading simply for the enjoyment. I loved the excitement of the political movement coupled with the turmoil of personal relationships.
This is on my 2018 reading list and sitting in anticipation on my bookshelf! Thanks for such an awesome synopsis!
JamJam09

Post by JamJam09 »

Call me a romantic, but Pride and Prejudice will always be my favorite.
I love ALL of the characters. Who can't fall in love with Mr. Darcy?! It takes her foreverrrrr to figure out she is wrong about him. Love love love this book.
Adekanmi

Post by Adekanmi »

recently read Fyodyr Dostoyevsky's paragon of classic Russian literature, Crime and Punishment. The protagonist of the novel is a young intellectual student who resides in St. Petersburg, named Raskolnikov. He lives in squalid poverty and murders an immoral pawn-broker for what originally appears to be her possessions. But, as Dostoyevsky delves deeper into the mind of Raskolnikov, the reader finds more intriguing motives for his crime, and Raskolnikov seems to view himself as a great man (he is constantly comparing himself to Napolean) that is exempt from moral law. In this page-turner Raskolnikov attempts to avoid arrest and redeem himself by helping the poor family of a prostitute. This novel was written by Dostoyevsky as an attempt to combat the growing Russian nihilism of the time period, and the author sternly reminds us that nobody is above moral law, whether your punishment comes in the form of imprisonment or grief and remorse.
emast86

Post by emast86 »

My favorite book would be When Calls the Heart by Janette Okes, don't know if its a classic but remember reading it when I was young. I loved the story of them finding love through the brokeness in their life. They involved their faith in the story as well.
Vintagefaire101
Currently Reading: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Vintagefaire101 »

I just finished reading 'The Importance of Being Ernest' by Oscar Wilde. It's a great choice if you are looking for something lighthearted. The characters are comically entertaining and their antics will have you on the edge of your seat!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Browsers wrote: 16 Oct 2010, 01:25 Just read "Moby Dick" a couple of years ago, and was truly amazed to discover that is IS the Great American Novel. I can see how some people are put off by it, but I heartily recommend reading it.
Yes, I'm not qualified to comment on the different editions, but it is a great book - it's over 40 years since I read it, but it still stays with me.

Return to “Classic Books”