Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Sithmi »

The Great Expectations by Charles dickens is ome of the best novels. It brings out how the society was in the 19th century, class discrimination and many other themes.
Reading_Addict76
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reading_Addict76 »

The great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is an awesome book, it talks about a man who orders his life around one desire, to be reunited with Daisy Buchanan, the love he lost five years earlier. Gatsby's quest leads him from poverty to wealth, into the arms of his beloved, and eventually to death. I loved this book so much and its one of the most iconic books of all time in my opinion. I hope you enjoy the books as i did and thank you
Bookish Ambita

Post by Bookish Ambita »

1984 by George Orwell is a must read classic. It is a fiction, but quite imaginable and relatable in today's world. It is about a dictatorship of big brother who keeps a constant watch on his citizens and doesnt allow them the liberty to even do basic things like loving which are everybody's right. It is an altogether unique experience reading that book. I hope you will also like it.
sr145
Currently Reading: The Song of Achilles
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sr145.html
Latest Review: Memories of a Brain Doctor by Abraham Lieberman MD. NYU Bellevue 196

Post by sr145 »

I am an avid reader and lover of classics, but there are definitely some books that hold a special place in my heart. For young adult readers, I would recommend The Outsiders by S.E.Hinton, The Giver by Lois Lowry, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. These are all relatively modern but are often considered classics and are all special novels in their own way.

I also enjoy books of philosophy, so for the more academic or philosophically-interested reader, I highly suggest Ralph Waldo Emerson's collection of Essays and Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince. Emerson is a deeply humanist, Transcendentalist, and his work can provide hope and inspiration in these difficult times. Machiavelli's insights are exactly opposite Emerson's, but anyone interested in Political Science will certainly find value in his pessimistic ideas and their implications for political systems.
sierra_rosemarie
Currently Reading: What If
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra-rosemarie.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07TMJ1R3X

Post by sierra_rosemarie »

The Mythwriter wrote: 15 Aug 2009, 00:17 Everyone has at least heard of "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, but I'm always surprised by how few seem to enjoy it. I'll admit that its true that the the plot, or rather plots, are very numerous and seemingly disjointed; yet the way they weave together in the end is simply genius, and I would think any who complain that plot lines are too linear these days would get their fix for life from this book.

I can only imagine that the complaints arise from how often the viewpoint jumps, and it's pretty hard to follow for awhile. In fact, I found myself really lost at a few points as to how anything was relevant. But when the conclusion comes around, and you see what everyone and everything is all about, your mind just reels from all the meaning you can draw from it!
I wholeheartedly agree! I think a lot of people's confusion simply comes from the language itself; a lot of readers, especially young ones, find it hard to understand. However, if you give it the time, A Tale of Two Cities really says a lot about so many deeper topics. I think that if you just take the time to really stay in tune and follow the book, you'll enjoy it very much.
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

Speaking of Dickens, I love 'Hard Times'. A little different from other books by him, but it does have a lot of sentiment, and the powerfully drawn characters he is known for. (It is difficult for me to be indifferent to the characters in his books; either I am thoroughly repelled by them, or I love and admire them). I like the fervent plea for imagination he makes in the book, and I feel everyone interested in children (or everyone who is concerned about childhood) should read it.
Julia Jackson 2
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Julia Jackson 2 »

Hello! I have always been a Disney fanatic who grew to love the supernatural world. I use the words "supernatural world" as a general definition for things ranging in fairies and trolls to vampires and werewolves. Really all things magic. I have read and watched almost all remakes and renditions of the classical books and tales that inspired them. Though, I had never read the classics themselves. So I bought them, read them and loved them. At first it was hard to get used to the differences, but I am definitely re-reading them. So I am going to list of some of my favorite classical books that were the inspiration to my most loved books (and movies).
  • "Tarzan of the Apes" by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • "Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales" by The Brothers Grimm
  • "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll
  • "Great Tales of Horror" by H.P. Lovecraft
  • "Dracula" by Bram Stoker
  • "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley
Benson Mugweru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benson-mugweru.html
Latest Review: The United States of Opioids by Harry Nelson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Benson Mugweru »

I think Harry Potter is also worth being categorized as a classic
Abdulfatai Kareem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulfatai-kareem.html
Latest Review: The Site by Carlos Valrand

Post by Abdulfatai Kareem »

What is peculiar about this "Crime and Punishment"
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I would like to recommend 1984 by George Orwell. It is a dystopian novel which deals with the the story of a totalitarian state and how citizens are always under watch.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I will recommend “Rebecca” by Daphne du Maurier, “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and “Animal farm” by George Orwell. I really enjoyed reading all of them.
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

Animal Farm is the one classic EVERYONE should read. It explains human beings and why they act the way they do, and it is still very, very relevant even though it was written in the early 20th century.
James Morley34

Post by James Morley34 »

Macbeth was my favorite book when I was younger. I'll recomend it. Any Shakespeare book Is worth reading!
Stephmish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Stephmish »

Gone with the wind!!! I’d love to have a discussion on it.
Che Sparrowbosa
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

The Scarlet letter is alot better than I thought it would have been.

Return to “Classic Books”