Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookLover451
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover451.html

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by BookLover451 »

I would recommend:
Anthem - Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan
Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury
anavisharma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anavisharma »

I appreciate this post and its seems looking so informative Thanks for sharing with us..

We Provide Best Packers And Movers Bangalore List for Get Free Best Quotes, Compare Charges, Save Money And Time,
Household Shifting Services
jokersw1ld
Currently Reading: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jokersw1ld »

Of Mice and Men is a wonderful book.
Gabs_cool123

Post by Gabs_cool123 »

WARNING:SPOILERS

I recently read The Stranger by Albert Camus and it is officially one of my favorite books. This book gives us a look through the eyes of an indifferent man and how he goes about his life, but it isn't as simple as that. It starts of at his mothers funeral where it shows a view a lot of us can't give. He also the next day, gets a fiancé. We then about his pimp friend and various other things. He ends killing a man, and that's just the first part. He ends up going to a trial where he is proclaimed to have no soul. That seems like an overexageration of his indifference and listlessness. I like when he talks about how a man can spend such a long time in jail living off the memories of one day. My favorite part was when he was with the chaplain. I like how the chaplain is appalled at his way of thinking and pity's him for it. Though the part where the chaplain says that he will pray for him, set him off into a burst of anger that was very unusual for the indifferent man. Though the part that really sticks to me is the ending, it is honestly, in my opinion, one of the best ways to end a book a day before the protagonist's execution. He thought that he now only wishes for, at the day of his execution, to be greeted with howls of loathing and hate.
Whos_that20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whos-that20.html

Post by Whos_that20 »

I highly recommend the Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs .No movie can compare seeing as there are so many books and they can become complex.There are characters that are never in the movies
.The words and details in the books are far from as primal as Tarzan can be .The books almost have their own language for names of things etc.They leave long lasting images and if you like adventure it is not only adventurous ,it is intelligent ,mysterious at times,romantic ,and you will find yourself lost in the character and ecerything that is Tarzan of the apes.
Heidi-Ho
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-ho.html

Post by Heidi-Ho »

I would have to say that the Yearling is a great classic book! it is very visual with the writing and its a fast read which is good because its huge. The author takes you in to the back country with the view of a child that is trans-formative :ugeek2: .
ksyfullah07

Post by ksyfullah07 »

windchime64 wrote:"Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns

About a 14 year old boy growing up in a poor rural town in the 1920's alongside his beloved grandfather. Will Tweedy has many adventures and close-calls. This book will keep you laughing and probably make you shed a tear or two.
My ALL TIME FAVORITE!
A little bit of "Tom Sawyer" mixed with "To Kill a Mockingbird" style.
Agree with you...I love the book.
Victor Zuanazzi

Post by Victor Zuanazzi »

Hey guys!

I am also a big fan of classic novels. There are plenty of reasons of why these survived through ages (some even more than 1000 years!) and all the others have been forgoten.

My favorites are The three mosketeers and The Sherlock Holmes series. But Oscar Wilde and Jane Austen definetly hank high as well.

Anyway, I have recently started a website about classical novels (the newsletter comes with e-books every month :D ) please check it up and let me know if you like it! classics4classics.wixsite.com/classics4classics

Tekguardian151_+48
Currently Reading: The Tar Man
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tekguardian151-48.html

Post by Tekguardian151_+48 »

'Jacobs Room' by Virginia Woolf.
Published during modernism's ascendency in literary art, 'Jacob's Room' is Woolf's third experimental novel set in London prior to World War 1. Without divulging too much of the plot for those who intend to read it, 'Jacobs Room' cleverly depicts protagonist Jacob as more a faceless avatar placed for the title's sake alone than your quintessential war hero. Though he is present in many of the scenes, it is always narrated from another character's perspective and thus we are never given access to what Jacob is actually thinking. Woolf's authorial intention was to convey what academics refer to as 'realism' whereby Jacob's interlocutors are oblivious to his true thoughts and can only guess them based on impressions much like a real life conversation. Furthermore, the realist approach is taken further in the sense that Woolf's portrayal of the enigmatic Jacob matches how bereaved families of the novel's setting perceived the remains of their loved ones who served during The Great War but tragically died because of it- from a collection of shared memories and photographs.
For those seeking an unconventional war novel, Virginia Woolf's 'Jacob's Room' is a definite one to look out for :wink:
MarteenReadsBooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vergent</a>
Currently Reading: The Female of the Species
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marteenreadsbooks.html

Post by MarteenReadsBooks »

A separate peace by John Knowles. It's the only classic I have read so far in my life, and it was very thought provoking.
a_ring
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-ring.html

Post by a_ring »

One of my favorite classics and maybe the first one I read on my own was 'Jane Eyre'. This is a story that combines mystery, romance, and even a bit of macabre. Jane grows up an orphan and obtains a job working at the home of Mr. Rochester, a wealthy man. Eventually the two fall in love but mysterious circumstances threaten to keep them from one another. I remember picking it up assuming that the book would be boring or dry because it was a classic and then finding myself unable to put it down. 'Jane Eyre' was the cause of my initial interest in classical literature.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

pyb wrote:I recently read Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and it is one of my new favorites. A brilliant epic tale that mirrors important historical events in India. But even if you miss the political connections it makes, the story stands on its own.
For some reason I waited quite awhile to read Midnight's Children--I'm not sure why, because I had already read and loved a couple of Rushdie's other novels. All I can say is he's a great author, and his books are well written and very enjoyable.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

George Orwell's Animal Farm still resonates deeply with me. I often think how did he come up with this?
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
hockeyrules12
Currently Reading: Disciplines of a Godly Man
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by hockeyrules12 »

Hey everyone I'm hockey rules12 just currently made an account and look forward to reading many new books. I recently read an immense novel by the name War and Peace which i assume most have heard of it. I highly recommend it as Tolstoy has such an ability in describing situations in life that it makes you as the reader feel with such clarity. The detail of the conflict with Napoleon and Russia during the War of 1812 is amazing. And the characters and their lives that he described during this time was pure awesome. When you think of Napoleon you think of Hitler as he himself attempted to take Russia but failed as well. I know its a huge book and presents itself has very intimidating but do read it.
JakeofReadingdell

Post by JakeofReadingdell »

If you are interested in classic books, tales of adventure, love, hate, and journeys of unspeakable danger? If you want a book that you won't put down until it is finished look no further than Jules Verne's 20,000 Leages Under the Sea. You will follow Proffessor Piere Arronax out to sea to search and hunt a mysterious monster that has been terrorizing warships and seemingly reappearing across the globe. From the moment that you accompany him over the side of the ship you and the professor will be dragged into the adventure and in some cases the nightmare of a lifetime. 20,000 Leages Under the Sea is a roller coaster of adventure from start to finish and will leave you wishing for a nautical adventure of your own.

Return to “Classic Books”