Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
asmalle7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by asmalle7 »

One of my favorite authors of all time is Earnest Hemingway. His books are something that you can read over and over and still enjoy, even though you already know how the story will play out. My favorite book by him is Old Man and The Sea.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I love Crime and Punishment and The Underground Man by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, 1984 by George Orwell, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
Loulit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loulit »

Just a tip for people who haven't read Russian authors. Characters in their books are often called by their nicknames, as is customary in Russia. The problem is there are often several nicknames for a single given name. As an example:

Maria; Masha, Mashenka, Mashunechka, Mashunya, Marusya, Mashka.

Alexandr or Alexandra; Sasha, Sanya, Shura, Sashenka, Sashechka, Sanyechka, Sanyenka, Sashura
Not to be confused with "Aleksy."

Aleksy; Alyosha, Lyosha, Alyoshenka, Alyoshechka, Lyoshenka, Lyoshechka,

Some nicknames are used by friends, others my only be used by family, some are for lovers, and always there's a diminutive.
jwalls
Currently Reading: Stepping Up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalls.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by jwalls »

I enjoy reading books that later are turned into movie features. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is a well preserved classic that I find is more entertaining and filled with details that outshine the infamous black and white classic film.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

I don't know any classic books but Les Miserables. I'm not into classics really because I'm not really good at literature and there are so much big words and phrases in this book that I don't understand but the fact that it makes me compromise by using a dictionary as a reference material which I rarely do , makes this book as phenomenal as many are raving about.
I suppose I don't need to give a thourough explanation and summarization, its reputation speak for itself.
This is one of the books I've reread a couple of times , it's that good.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

windchime64 wrote: 31 Dec 2009, 08:49 "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns

About a 14 year old boy growing up in a poor rural town in the 1920's alongside his beloved grandfather. Will Tweedy has many adventures and close-calls. This book will keep you laughing and probably make you shed a tear or two.
My ALL TIME FAVORITE!
A little bit of "Tom Sawyer" mixed with "To Kill a Mockingbird" style.
Thank you for posting this! I love stories set in rural settings. And, I love TKAM. I'm going to look for this one right now.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Some of my favorite classic books are Crime and Punishment, Jane Eyre, Catcher in the Rye, and Sans Famille.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

With the tv-series making a huge splash I would like to talk about a book I myself just recently discovered, Margaret Attwoods "The Handmaids Tale". Due to a name, I had always sort of dismissed the story as another chick flick and boy was I wrong. With writing, the creepiness of the evolution of human society its close up there with the Orwell 1984. Something I was not expecting but was ashamed that I had not figured out sooner.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I would recommend Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and The Great expectations. These are just simply amazing!
malik860

Post by malik860 »

I adored A Tale of Two Cities! It's a lovely story.
To past blurb, you're not the only one in your affection for Emma. I adored all of Jane Austen's books, yet I think my most loved is still Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth Bennett is the ideal courageous woman IMO.

To the extent other Classic writing, I'm a major devotee of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest and additionally The Picture of Dorian Gray. Everything Wilde composed was splendid, however these two contrast from one another in tone to such an extent as to make them emerge for me. I additionally like Lady Windermere's fan.

I think Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights is a stunning story. It sucks me in each time I read it. Heathcliff is as yet the most merciless scalawag I've experienced in writing.
teresao
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresao.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by teresao »

I recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. It's one of my all- time favorites and the movie doesn't do it justice. The ending is quite different and there is a lot more to the storyline that was cut. To me it's a beautiful story about how living and obsessing over revenge is destructive, and how healing forgiveness can be. Plus, the story is very cleverly constructed.
Molly 27

Post by Molly 27 »

If you are looking for a book that includes action, reflection, love (and heartbreak); for a book you can stop reading and at the same time you have to stop an think and ask yourself about the society in which we are; you definitely have to read "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury, in this short book you will find a masterpiece of science fiction and a critical view about the culture and society.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I absolutely love Macbeth. The reversal of roles between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth I thought was really cool. There is so much symbolism which is good for a play to have. It is definitely my favorite of Shakespeare's work.
AlicialG

Post by AlicialG »

Little Women is amazing, the depth of connection you feel between the family is truly touching. I also think the ending really showed how grief can give us inspiration to try and honor those gone to soon.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

Well I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but just piling on more recommendations for Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I'm really glad I read through this because I love classics and found several more to add to my reading list!

Return to “Classic Books”