Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kawther22
Currently Reading: The Sea-Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawther22.html
Latest Review: So, You're Raising Your Grandkids! by Harriet Hodgson

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Kawther22 »

Try reading Macbeth even if you have read it before. Each reading is a different experience, and it is so fun to find all the clues in the characters' speeches that show us who they really are. I have read it twice; once when I was around 14 and another time in college. The second reading revealed a lot more hidden meanings and in some way raised and answered some questions such as was lady Macbeth really the evil mastermind many people think her to be? What role does gender play in the play? Does the play have a common moral edge or does it follow its own rules of morality?
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

A favorite modern classic of mine is Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. It's an amazing story of a misguided preacher who brings his family on mission to the Congo. It's told from the perspective of his wife and daughters as they adjust to life in Africa.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Kawther22 wrote: 24 May 2020, 12:19 Try reading Macbeth even if you have read it before. Each reading is a different experience, and it is so fun to find all the clues in the characters' speeches that show us who they really are. I have read it twice; once when I was around 14 and another time in college. The second reading revealed a lot more hidden meanings and in some way raised and answered some questions such as was lady Macbeth really the evil mastermind many people think her to be? What role does gender play in the play? Does the play have a common moral edge or does it follow its own rules of morality?
I've found this to be a great example of Shakespeare's dramatic skill. I'm so glad that I got to study it in school!
Kawther22
Currently Reading: The Sea-Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawther22.html
Latest Review: So, You're Raising Your Grandkids! by Harriet Hodgson

Post by Kawther22 »

Grace Bela wrote: 29 May 2020, 22:51
Kawther22 wrote: 24 May 2020, 12:19 Try reading Macbeth even if you have read it before. Each reading is a different experience, and it is so fun to find all the clues in the characters' speeches that show us who they really are. I have read it twice; once when I was around 14 and another time in college. The second reading revealed a lot more hidden meanings and in some way raised and answered some questions such as was lady Macbeth really the evil mastermind many people think her to be? What role does gender play in the play? Does the play have a common moral edge or does it follow its own rules of morality?
I've found this to be a great example of Shakespeare's dramatic skill. I'm so glad that I got to study it in school!
Shakespeare is Shakespeare for a reason! :D I am glad I got to study him in school too as it showed me how great he really is and how timeless his books are.
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx :D :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray:
Turk Joel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Turk Joel »

I've read Cs Lewis' books all of which have potrayed great depths but ultimately i'd recommended his Till We Have Faces. Its a book i'd read over and over again
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

I recommend the below list. All the books I am listing have themes and symbols in common. They all revolve around struggles their characters endure, and place importance on the concepts of identity and genuineness. They explore morality, education, and the relationship between the two. All 3 are symbolic of greater societal patterns. They are my personal favorites in this genre, as I am drawn to character-driven books.
    The entire Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott

The March family lives, loves, and grows in this trilogy that begins during the American Civil War. The women must make decisions between their family and themselves.
      Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Okonkwo and his community in Nigeria face outside forces. British colonial forces. Change threatens tradition.
        To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

In Southern United States, Scout Finch and her father, Atticus Finch, propel an agonizing narrative of racial oppression. It may be a classic, but it feels especially relevant right now. The rich cast of characters reveal both the beautiful and the ugly of humanity.
        glossy cherry
        Currently Reading:
        Bookshelf Size: 21
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glossy-cherry.html
        Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by glossy cherry »

My recommendation for a classic book is Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. This book was assigned to me when I was 12 years old in my school as the book read for the year. It sparked my interest in reading big books, and I've not stopped since.
        emoore12
        Currently Reading:
        Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by emoore12 »

I was recommended The Count of Monte Cristo by a friend, and I loved it. It's very long, but there are abridged versions if you're interested in them.
        Barbie_sidhu
        Currently Reading: Strong heart
        Bookshelf Size: 84
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
        Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

A mid summer nights dream
        Jane Austen's Emma and Pride and prejudice
        Little Women by Louisa May Allacot.
        Eucaelvin123
        Currently Reading:
        Bookshelf Size: 18
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eucaelvin123.html
        Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Eucaelvin123 »

I once read this book "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Pramahamansa Yoganadaji. Its a spiritual book but contains so much history in it. It gives more insight into the life of Indians and their worship pattern.
        Che Sparrowbosa
        Currently Reading: The Alchemist
        Bookshelf Size: 30
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
        Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

A Raisin in the Sun! Definitely a fine read of Caribbean classic literature and with everything going on now with the protests and such I highly recommend giving this gem a read. One of my favorites.
        Fairlylegal
        Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fairlylegal »

I enjoyed reading all of the reviews listed here. I am new to this book club and I am in awe of all that has been read. From 'Tale of two cities' to 'Othello' and 'Emma'. All of these books were a regular staple to read in high school. I enjoyed everyone of them. Every story shows our character flaws. Man's constant need to feel and be loved. Our need to be accepted in society and the world itself. What I've found amazing about all the books is that once we learn to love and accept ourselves, our lives change. Usually the change is for the better, I think one of the reasons for this is the fact that we learn to accept and understand things in life that we probably didn't care about before. I'm excited to read and discuss more books with all of you.
        Anna_TB
        Currently Reading:
        Bookshelf Size: 9
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-tb.html
        Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Anna_TB »

The last classic book I read was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott in preparation for Greta Gerwig's film and I loved it. The characters were so rounded, so well defined, and they cared so much about each other that I felt a little bubble of warmth and happiness in my heart every time I picked up the novel. I'm so glad that so many of you seem to enjoy it! If you know Spanish, I suggest reading Buenas hermanas by Costa Alcalá, a retelling of Little Women set in a world in the style on 1984 (another of my favorite classics). It sounds like a bizarre combination, but it really brings out the themes in the original novel(s).
        HanElizabeth397
        Currently Reading:
        Bookshelf Size: 23
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
        Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Anna_TB wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:27 The last classic book I read was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott in preparation for Greta Gerwig's film and I loved it. The characters were so rounded, so well defined, and they cared so much about each other that I felt a little bubble of warmth and happiness in my heart every time I picked up the novel. I'm so glad that so many of you seem to enjoy it! If you know Spanish, I suggest reading Buenas hermanas by Costa Alcalá, a retelling of Little Women set in a world in the style on 1984 (another of my favorite classics). It sounds like a bizarre combination, but it really brings out the themes in the original novel(s).
        I second this! Little Women is my favourite classic book! It's so well-written and there's also a personal connection because it was my great grandma's favourite book and she used to call me and my sisters her little women (there's four of us)
        drwcroaker
        Favorite Author: Stephen King
        Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
        Bookshelf Size: 24
        Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
        Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
        Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
        fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I love Little Woman too! I used to identify with Laurie, but now that I'm no longer so young and I now find a kinship with Mr. Laurence. Frightening from afar, but a sweetheart once you get to know me. :wink:
        We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.

Return to “Classic Books”