Watership Down

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
therewaseden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Watership Down

Post by therewaseden »

Started reading this recently, am really enjoying it so far. I love the fact that the author created new words for the rabbit-world, to me it really helps suck me in, gets me more into the idea of the story. I just reference the glossary in back a couple of times, and he uses the words often enough for me to learn them quickly.
I'm also so far seeing a bit of parallel to The Odyssey - not exactly in the reason for the journey, but in the building of character, the value of intellect, ingenuity, and story-telling.

Has anyone else read this? Any opinions? (No spoilers please!)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I read it a few years back. I enjoyed it but would like to mention my big complaint with it... so when you've finished...

My favorite book from the author is The Plague Dogs. This novel concerns itself with the exploits and misadventures of two escaped dogs from an animal testing lab. I've also read Tales from Watership Down, the sequel (of sorts) of the original and was very much disappointed with it.
ceve4life

Post by ceve4life »

Watership Down is a fantastic book!!! The Author wrote a second one in the mid 90's and I own it...but haven't read it yet.
jtothero

Post by jtothero »

Watership Down is my favorite book. And TC, I definitely saw the Odyssey similarities/references as well. The ingenuity and craftiness of the main rabbits is so similar to Odysseus. You'll see more similarities as you read through.
Last edited by jtothero on 29 Apr 2009, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Ell

Post by Ell »

Really great book. I've read it some time ago, but I want to re-read it agin.
hollybear8907

Post by hollybear8907 »

I have always wanted to read this book. I read Fire Bringer which I heard is alot like Watership down, just with deer and I LOVED it. So I really want to read it.
naruponk

Post by naruponk »

This is my first book which I have double read
great to read :o
Shakeelah

Post by Shakeelah »

Watership Down is fantastic. It's got a few digs at the brutality of society, as well as the unthinking nature of humans and their machines. It's very multilayered and one can read as much or as little into it without ruining the essence of the book.

I also enjoyed The Plague Dogs! It is not for the same audience as Watership though, as it's a harder, more mature read.
billrainier

Post by billrainier »

It is really a nice book. :D
rsullivan

Post by rsullivan »

This is one of my all time favorite books. I read it probably 25 years ago and just recently re-read it and was still enchanted all these years later.
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I've always been impressed that Adams used a fable for some very insightful themes in our society. You don't often see such things where adults get more out of the book than kids. Though, I'm not sure if I'd let my kid read it too young or not.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
shanakrahman

Post by shanakrahman »

Definitely one of my favorite books!
shanakrahman

Post by shanakrahman »

Definitely one of my favorite books!
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

I read it couple of months ago and I loved it! I also really liked learning some "Lapine" words. Who is your favourite character so far and what part are you on at the minute? :D
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

Watership Down is magical, and yet, unlike something like Harry Potter, it has real meaning and depth to it. I'm not saying Harry Potter is shallow, but at the end of the day, it's a children's series. Watership Down has a way of being just as inviting as a children's novel, but there are some heavy themes involved too.

I've never read The Prague Dogs, but I want to now.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy

Return to “Classic Books”