Sherlock Holmes Canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sherlock Holmes Canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by DATo »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 05:32 I watched the Sherlock Holmes movies but haven't read the books yet. I have a tendency of forgetting the story of the movie so now I had decided to read the Sherlock Holmes books. I am also mostly amazed by the brilliance of Sherlock's deductions. I used to wonder that how can someone be so intelligent. Arthur Conan Doyle has done a really amazing job in developing his characters and their relationships with each other.
I don't know if you have started reading these stories yet, but if not I would suggest reading The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes first and then following it up with the short novel, A Study In Scarlet. The first book is a selection of short stories which will acclimate you to the world of Holmes, and the second deals with how Holmes and Watson first meet and also adds a lot of explanatory trivia regarding other things germane to their association and their lives. This is the way I got into the Holmes stories and it was a perfect introduction. AND BY ALL MEANS read The Hound Of The Baskervilles after those two. In my opinion this is Doyle's masterpiece of the entire canon of Holmes stories.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

DATo wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 09:33
Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 05:32 I watched the Sherlock Holmes movies but haven't read the books yet. I have a tendency of forgetting the story of the movie so now I had decided to read the Sherlock Holmes books. I am also mostly amazed by the brilliance of Sherlock's deductions. I used to wonder that how can someone be so intelligent. Arthur Conan Doyle has done a really amazing job in developing his characters and their relationships with each other.
I don't know if you have started reading these stories yet, but if not I would suggest reading The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes first and then following it up with the short novel, A Study In Scarlet. The first book is a selection of short stories which will acclimate you to the world of Holmes, and the second deals with how Holmes and Watson first meet and also adds a lot of explanatory trivia regarding other things germane to their association and their lives. This is the way I got into the Holmes stories and it was a perfect introduction. AND BY ALL MEANS read The Hound Of The Baskervilles after those two. In my opinion this is Doyle's masterpiece of the entire canon of Holmes stories.
Thank you so much for providing me with this sequence. I will start reading today itself.
Shehid

Post by Shehid »

What I found about the Holmes stories is that I enjoyed the short stories featuring him more than the novels, whereas the opposite is true for Agatha Christie's Poirot. I liked it and it is good
DATo

Post by DATo »

Shehid wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 00:27 What I found about the Holmes stories is that I enjoyed the short stories featuring him more than the novels, whereas the opposite is true for Agatha Christie's Poirot. I liked it and it is good
I agree with you: the Sherlock Holmes written stories were better. The thing that makes these stories so good in my opinion is the author's (Arthur Conan Doyle) style of writing. It really puts you into the setting of the stories.

I have always said that there are two fundamental qualities a story must have; first, of course, it has to be a good story; and second, is the style in which the story is written. You can have both a good story, but a bad delivery on the part of the author. Two cases of this (once again this is my opinion only) are 'Dances With Wolves' and 'Being There'. In the case of these two stories the movies were far better than the books. And the opposite would be true of 'Catch-22' and 'Ender's Game' in which the books were far better than the movie. The only PERFECT example of a movie and book which were both equally excellent that comes to mind is 'To Kill A Mockingbird' .... another might be 'The Hunger Games'.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Maria N 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-n-1.html
Latest Review: “In Search of Jesus of Nazareth and His Original Teaching” by Paul A Weekes

Post by Maria N 1 »

This is the reason I started reading mystery and anything with detective work . It actually inspires my career in ways I can’t even imagine . I’m studying to be a paralegal
Alie Lowery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Alie Lowery »

I love this series too! I just finished re-reading all the novels and short stories. Some of my favorite parts were when Sherlock showed how much he cared for Watson. And, of course, I loved Sherlock’s deductions (and Watson’s failed deductions when Sherlock sends him to investigate by himself). I would recommend this series to anyone who is old enough to read a somewhat larger series.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I completely agree. I love all Sherlock Holmes books. I have them all and they are always recommended by me to others. They were written in a way that has never been truly copied by another. They stand the test of time.
Once_upon_atime
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Once_upon_atime »

Conan Doyle's novels and stories are my favorite, he described crime scenes and criminals in an unexpected way. I've read a lot of his work, I'm sure Mr. Holmes didn't believe in love, but those kinds of thoughts have gone since I read A Scandal in the Bohemian, The Girl Who Changed Mr. Holmes' Expectations. To be honest, this kind of story is awesome, I highly recommend it.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Sherlock Holmes by Conan Doyle is definitely one of my favorite books because the mystery itself was intriguing.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I agree with you. I even get cautious while reading Sherlock Holmes. I don't skim and I don't skip. There might be clues to the mysteries that must not be missed. Arthur Conan Doyle's such a superb mystery author.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

This has got to be one of the greatest books of all time. Picked it up as a 15 year old. I didn't sleep for two days straight just to complete this book. It was so thrilling. Arthur Conan Doyle is beyond brilliant and Sherlock Holmes beyond exciting
DATo

Post by DATo »

Once_upon_atime wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 08:32 Conan Doyle's novels and stories are my favorite, he described crime scenes and criminals in an unexpected way. I've read a lot of his work, I'm sure Mr. Holmes didn't believe in love, but those kinds of thoughts have gone since I read A Scandal in the Bohemian, The Girl Who Changed Mr. Holmes' Expectations. To be honest, this kind of story is awesome, I highly recommend it.
I think Holmes admired the woman from A Scandal In Bohemia whose name I believe was Irene Alder. I think it is quite amazing and it took me a long time to realize this, but Holmes was actually BEATEN on the VERY FIRST STORY of the entire cannon ... and by a woman. Now please don't think that I am being demeaning to women. In this day and age women are regularly cast as heroic characters, but you must remember that this was written in the late 1800s and back then it was very rare for a woman to beat the man who you are expecting to be the hero of the story. He forever after referred to her as "THE woman."
― Steven Wright
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Sherlock Holmes is bound to keep you spellbound with not just its mystery but also humour and compelling characters. I have not only read the books but also seen the series and the movies!
Calvin RH

Post by Calvin RH »

I've read almost four books by author conan Doyle,he has been best at his work,the first thing that attracted my attention was the fictional character Sherlock Holmes himself..well I've never watched the Netflix series yet, but still i love everything about holmes and Watson... their extraordinary adventures, doing what almost termed impossible and good humourous jokes along the way. Doyle always keeps me guessing what's goona happen next at each part,so i can say there ain't no moment where you get bored and decide to skip. I like detectives and their fascinating work and i think Sherlock is the best out there.Some chapters are fairly humourous and some may be like on the personal side of holmes...the one i like the most is where holmes has nothing to do with the case and yet he outdones himself everytime by finding the best conclusions.Most if the time I feel like I'm doctor Watson working alongside with holmes,i recognise his way of doings but damn he thinks outsides the box and I've never could've even imagine such scenarios.If i read this even today I'll be still astonished by The Sherlock Holmes.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

Sherlock Holmes would make any good reader marvel at his intelligence.

Return to “Classic Books”