Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GoAskAlice
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goaskalice.html

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Post by GoAskAlice »

Adventure, science, and a little bit of fantasy is what you'll find when you read this book. As it presents an imaginitave story it adds to the story by presenting scientific aspects. Although this often makes it a slightly dry read it adds substance to the fantasy. This is a brilliant, intelligent read that should be read by anyone with a passion for the classics.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

i haven't read it but i love the movie ill have to read it
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

Post by Goddess of Gab »

Though I will, even as an admitted lover of verbose and overdone language, admit it can be dry in some parts, the scenes described are fantastic in every sense of the word. Things that are literally impossible and which none of the movies do justice. There's a forest with no shadows. Everything is equally illuminated, and this affects everything in the forest. Can you imagine looking at someone's face and not having the nostrils, wrinkles and under the chin be any darker than the height of the nose and cheekbones? Crazy, imaginative stuff.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

This book came into my life through one of my students, and I must say I just loved it!
I think Jules Vernes creates great characters, and I enjoyed the suspense and the tension along the story from the beginning to the end. I could finally understand the concept "show, don't tell" when I read the first two chapters and I just enjoyed the way in which characters showed their nature in the small details...
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

Journey to the Center of the Earth (French: Voyage au centre de la Terre, also translated under the titles A Journey to the Center of the Earth and A Journey to the Interior of the Earth) is an 1864 science fiction novel by Jules Verne. The story involves German professor Otto Lidenbrock who believes there are volcanic tubes going toward the centre of the Earth. He, his nephew Axel, and their guide Hans descend into the Icelandic volcano Snæfellsjökull, encountering many adventures, including prehistoric animals and natural hazards, before eventually coming to the surface again in southern Italy, at the Stromboli volcano.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

One of Jules Verne's greatest books. He excels at making the scientifically improbable seem utterly believable and the adventures in this book are thrilling and full of suspense. I highly recommend it!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I enjoyed reading Journey to The Center of the Earth growing up. I have also enjoyed several of the movies that have been based on the book.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

Jules Verne is a wonderful writer. He carries one along in the worlds that he creates. I love this book as well as the others he wrote. It has been said that his books gave seed to the inventions of our time such as the submarine and others.
Amdad jutt

Post by Amdad jutt »

Nice book
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I read the book and I loved it. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I've actually travelled to the Snæfellsjökull peninsula. It's gorgeous and windswept and barren and so, so big and foreboding. Looking at it, it's easy to imagine all of the wondrous things Vernes describes because Snæfellsjökull itself is already so magical and alien.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Mekkinism wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 08:45 I've actually travelled to the Snæfellsjökull peninsula. It's gorgeous and windswept and barren and so, so big and foreboding. Looking at it, it's easy to imagine all of the wondrous things Vernes describes because Snæfellsjökull itself is already so magical and alien.

Are there any lava tubes that have been explored? I’d be curious to know if the fantasy starts well under ground, or right from the decent.

I always remember Wishbone when I think of this book. It was quite a few years after the show that I eventually read the book.
Pretynana
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Pretynana »

Amazing book. Much better than the movie
Silver3

Post by Silver3 »

I remember reading this when I was young. Very exciting and hard to put down. Lot's of drama and excitement!
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I used to love Jules Verne so much as a kid that I ended up reading most of his books like Clipper of th eClouds and of course Around the world in Eighty Days.

Return to “Classic Books”