Grimm Fairytales By Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DBorg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Grimm Fairytales By Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm

Post by DBorg »

I love reading their stories :) .
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I've read a few of these and it's always shocking to see what is and isnt the same as modern versions
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

My brother and I grew up watching the fairy tales told by none other than Disney. As you can imagine, the sweet, sugar-coated version stook with us many years and even know and mature YA. Still, I can remember going through that phase - we all have gone through that phase - where everything seemed hidden. That phase where you probably asked more questions about the obvious and the impossible than when you were a toddler.

One day we just asked why did Snow White's story end that way? Why doesn't she ever confront the wicked stepmother? I wanted to know what happened after the little mermaid got married to her prince, did she ever miss the sea and her family? What of Cinderella's stepfamily, what consequences did they face after years of treating her so cruelly?!

Yeah, that phase.

So when my brother and I discovered so videos claiming to have the answers to the questions, we spent nearly a whole night learning about the first fairy tales. The Grimm fairy tales became a popular topic for a while and I've only read a few of them. I think what I like most about them, is the fact that even back then in the old, medieval days, the art of storytelling was meant to accomplish the same as today. The creation of the Grimm Tales kind of shows how little has really changed in this department. Stories have always reflected the environment back at us tenfold. It reflects our fears of wandering into the dark by creating shadow monsters of deceitful faires. It reflects our weariness of strangers by turning the most unthreatening old women into children eaters. It was a dark and unexplored world back then, much was to be feared and punishment was plentiful, through stories like the Grimm Tales the people at the time used their best tool to keep the children safe; their voice. In a way, we still do that today. Lady Llarona is a popular creepy told to children in the Latin/Hispanic region to be home before dark and not to play close to rushing rivers. When I was a kid, my parents told me that spirits lived in the dark so I would stay out too late. It was creepy but effective.

I think the same can be said for Grimm's Tale, creepy yet effective. :tiphat:
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

I love Grimm's fairy tales! It's so interesting and reading the short stories is really fun. I am reading a watered down version to my son because they can be a bit grim...
berlin-brunett
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by berlin-brunett »

Growing up in Germany, Grimm‘s fairytales were a big part of my childhood and to this day I still love reading them. While as a kid I didn’t understand a lot of details about the stories it’s now fun and really interesting to get the „darkness“ behind the real stories. To this day it still bluffed me sometimes how well they’re written...
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I had a copy, I was reading it and then someone borrowed it and I never got it back. Fairy tales are, it seems, a lot scarier in writing than they are in films. I do recall "Cinderella" from the book. Pinocchio is kind of like these stories. Disney changes a lot.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

Grimm’s Fairytales is fantastic! I bought the book at the same time as an Edgar Allen Poe anthology, and spent quite a few nights after thinking “What the...?!” every few minutes. :lol2: I think it’s pretty cool to have adapted, kid-friendly versions of many stories that stem from quite dark, even macabre tales oriented toward an adult audience. The stories can take on so many new meanings as you grow.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I absolutely adore Grimm's Fairy Tales. The fact that they are the inspiration for so many of the fairytales we were told as kids just makes them more interesting. I am a fan of the darker themed books,but its not for everybody.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I like being able to see the original endings of fairytales because Disney has really changed them to be light and fluffy, it's quite cool to be able to find out that they are not all how they appear to be!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Ruth Odaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45

Post by Ruth Odaro »

A book with a lot of short stories is the kind of book I love to read and I am certain this won't be any different from the rest. You did a good job reviewing this book.
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

I'm familiar with many of these fairy tails and liked many of them. I had hoped to improve my German enough to read them in the original language but as of yet have not done so. I liked that the stories are not sugar coated fluff. I think even children usually like something with a little more substance than many of the tame stories of today. As my German professor said, children love the scary stories when they are reading them with a parent or grandparent, someone they love, and they know they are safe.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Grimm fairytales are the best. They really keep children growing.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I love the movies based ones and then went to read where they came from. I was not disappoint in it that is for sure, I like the book while I did have some that I prefer not to read again.
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

Love Grimm's fairytales! When I took German class in high school we actually had a whole unit on them. We practiced reading them in the original German and compared them with the more commonly known versions of the same stories. I became obsessed!
Arnis147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnis147.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Arnis147 »

Reading Grimm fairytales as an adult showed me the power of short stories. I was always a novel person, but after reading dozens of these tales, I realized short stories can pack a punch. It got me into reading short stories outside of the fairy tale genre. I love how both kids and adults can enjoy these. They also give good insist into Germanic culture and traditions at the time.

Return to “Classic Books”