Around The World in Eighty Days

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megha0107
Bookshelf Size: 2

Around The World in Eighty Days

Post by Megha0107 »

Around the world in eighty days is written by Jules Verne and the book is published in 1873. The story is about traveling across the in eighty days. The protagonist Fogg bets to travel across the world and was taking help of the estimation of dates published in the daily telegraph. The whole plot of the story is submerged with different parts of the world. The author has very neatly narrated to story providing a very smooth flow to the story.

An interesting and adventurous read.
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by falloutlunartic »

I read this when I first started getting into reading, and had just discovered Jules Verne. It was okay enough, not as intriguing as it sounds, especially because nowadays you can go around the world in like five days.... but I do enjoy Verne's unique plots in his books.
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." -Lemony Snicket
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

This is another fun classic that once can go back and read over and over again. Jules Verne was an amazing author!
Rina
Bookshelf Size: 121

Post by Rina »

I love this book ... reading it as kid I remember being swept up in the adventure. The fascination of travelling to unknown lands, striding towards danger and of course the thrill of doing something never before done. Plus how can you not like the ending :)
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I have only read Vernes' 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea thus far, and loved it! This one is next on the list! Looking forward to diving into this one.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I wouldn't mind reading a modernized take of this. I think the book is a bit dated with some of its travel methods, and I didnt find it as fun to read. I think it is a fun idea though, and its an interesting challenge too.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I first read this book in high school. when I saw the title, I was immediately interested in finding out how in the world one can travel around the globe in 80 days, and not with modern transport cause it was in the 1800's and the most common mode of long distance travel were the ships,boats and animals. I thought it was impossible to get around that fast without modern transport. Glad the book proved me wrong. And Mr Fogg's adventures were marvellous
HeyMimi
Currently Reading: Berserker Romance
Bookshelf Size: 2356

Post by HeyMimi »

So glad I recently got around to reading this one!

Even though I knew exactly what would happen in the story, (I've seen All. The. Movie. Addaptations.), it was still a thrilling read
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

This book really struck a chord with me. It inspired me to travel and see new places, and considering how easy travel is today, I really have no excuses.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Such a well-crafted book, full of suspense and excitement. I first read this as a teen and was riveted. It must have been even more fascinating when published, at a time when the technologies mentioned were all pretty cutting edge.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

The best thing about this book for me is the personality of Mr Fogg, the man who is always on time! My husband was inspired by him to become a disciplined person and take time seriously. He recommended the book to me and I absolutely loved the adventure!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This book has a really unique plot that's why I loved reading it. I first read this book when I was very young, probably 15 and I wasn't disappointed. I also loved the movie.
mangamancer
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by mangamancer »

I'm reading this. Will express my opinion after I finish.
247hub
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 247hub »

Amazing author with a great book, My parents loved this book, they kept looking at me and always expecting me to narrate it whenever I finish reading it as a young boy
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

I love traveling. It tebds to relax me when I'm overwhelmed by situations in life. I dont have to be overwhelmed to travel, sometimes i do it just for fun and get to know places I've never been before.

Return to “Classic Books”