The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Post by GabbiV »

What really struck me about the Old Man was his similarities to Jesus such as when the Old Man faltered three times etc.
obeyaisha123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by obeyaisha123 »

I love watching movie based on the books because the movie based gives us a different from the book and it comes to live. I love reading books as well including one of my favorite "Cross Over".
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I came across this book in the school library and enjoyed reading it. I didn't get the moral of the story until until after I read again some years later. It's a good book.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I came across this book in the school library and enjoyed reading it. I didn't get the moral of the story until after I read it again some years later. It's a good book.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I have never understood why some people don't like this book or Hemingway in general, I think his writing is great and he always, and I mean always writes a clear picture of the era in which he lived. As for the old man and the sea, the book resonated with me thanks to my Hispanic heritage as well as the fact that the plot was very interesting.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I had not thought about this book in so long. I had to read The Old Man and the Sea my freshmen year of high school. I remember my English teacher being such a fan of Hemingway. She even had his name on her license plate :D. I did not enjoy this one at all. It could have been the teacher as she saw a hidden meaning behind every word on the page! May reread someday but not anytime soon.
sirajaqb

Post by sirajaqb »

The Old Man and the Sea was one of my favorite books in high school. The underlying themes of courage, strength, and learning from your failures really struck me. I think his writing style was really what pulled me in. I absolutely hated the slow pace we were reading in for class! I wanted to devour the story, not savor it. I have gone back and reread it a few times now and I always learn something new about myself and Santiago.

If you are interested in Hemingway, there is a fictional story by Paula McLain about his relationship with his first wife that you might like to read. Titled The Paris Wife, this book looks at his life experiences and how they influenced his writing. Although it is fiction the author uses information from his real life and details garned from conversations with his first wife to lend potential insight. It isn't a classic novel, but it a fun read about one of the great classic authors.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Oh, Hemingway, my eternal love. This is by far my favorite book from him, though I have a soft spot for The Sun Also Rises, as well. It’s one of those book you can’t always understand immediately but needs to be dusted off and reread after a while to fully understand it.
Berry :wine:
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

sirajaqb wrote: 27 May 2018, 07:02 The Old Man and the Sea was one of my favorite books in high school. The underlying themes of courage, strength, and learning from your failures really struck me. I think his writing style was really what pulled me in. I absolutely hated the slow pace we were reading in for class! I wanted to devour the story, not savor it. I have gone back and reread it a few times now and I always learn something new about myself and Santiago.

If you are interested in Hemingway, there is a fictional story by Paula McLain about his relationship with his first wife that you might like to read. Titled The Paris Wife, this book looks at his life experiences and how they influenced his writing. Although it is fiction the author uses information from his real life and details garned from conversations with his first wife to lend potential insight. It isn't a classic novel, but it a fun read about one of the great classic authors.
I read The Paris Wife a few years ago. I think it accurately captured the time Hemingway and Hadley were together.

Hadley is from my town and I believe her childhood family home still exists. In A Moveable Feast Hemingway admitted that he had made an enormous mistake where his first wife was concerned. Till the day he died he bitterly regretted their break up, which was his decision, not hers. At the time Hadley was devastated but got on with her life and had a very successful marriage later. Hemingway met with her and her new husband and he kept in touch with her off and on till the end of his life.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

When I read this in school, I found it to be very dull, but as an adult, I will have to give it another go.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Wow I am going to be totally honest here and say that I found most of Hemingway's work boring and a bit self important, but I did enjoy reading the Old Man and the Sea. Lessons about courage were presented well in the book which endeared me to it.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Have studied this and i didn't like it very much. It was the part of sylabus and syllabus has the ability to make every book montonous...may be it was boring or it might have been syllabus😁
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Inayat black

Post by Inayat black »

The part that in your opinion is negative or not so good is what makes this story so special.people enjoy tragedy alot but most of them doesn't recognize the fact that this is how life works.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I loved the Old Man and the Sea. I Loved Hemingway's writing style. I loved the characterisation and the low head count. I loved nearly everything about this book.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I also loved this book. I found a copy of it lying around in my house and it was like a hidden gem that I couldn't wait to cash in on. It was a fantastic read from beginning to end. Would definitely recommend.

Return to “Classic Books”