The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lourdesinwonderland
Currently Reading: The Dark Half
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourdesinwonderland.html

The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux

Post by lourdesinwonderland »

Like many books I've read throughout my entire life, this one turned out to be different from what I expected at the beginning. Nevertheless, I consider myself a young reader, and there's still much more adventures for me to discover in the word universe.

Concerning the book in general, at the moment of finishing it I found myself quite confused about my feelings towards it. The elements of horror and mystery concerning the "Opera Ghost" were objects of attraction to me from the very beginning, and the author was able to grant me with the sensation of suspense in vaious points of the text. The psychopathy of the said Phantom takes an increasing speed throughout the tale, making it a tragic love story of a lunatic person that makes a girl the object of his obsession. Like other psychopaths, he cares more about his well-being than his loved one's. Furthermore, he becomes addicted to something, and that only: her voice. He becomes her personal Angel of Music, and tries to convince her that without him, her talent would be nothing.

"The Phantom" can be taken as a symbol of a unrequited love that eventually turns into an obession. The writing style is evidently european, and uses many french phrases and such, very much alike other authors from the same period, such as Lewis Carrol or C. S. Lewis. I enjoyed the aformentioned expressions and leared a little about the french language. Nonetheless, in some parts of the tale, I would've cared more for a detailed environment, but I cannot put much negativity into this: the styling of that period, like I mentioned, is particular, and the prominence of dialogues above anything else is common.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book and I added it to the list of classics that I've gone through this year. I recommend it to anyone who likes to absorb suspense in tragic love.

RATING: 4/5
Thanks for reading!
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Nice review! Really liked how you put in words your thoughts about the psychology and the symbols in the book. I read The Phantom of the Opera few years ago and gave it the same rating. It was nice read, but I guess I expected something more, after watching and listening to so many different versions of the songs (that I absolutely love). It was as if it lacked a bit in power and atmosphere, and didn't have the impact on me I was expecting. Maybe if I was to read the book without being exposed on the other media beforehand, I'd like it more.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I picked this up to read because...well...why not?
I didn't have any feelings toward it before starting it...just found myself in the mood for it.

I've read a lot of classics lately that I've looked forward to reading...and just never got around to...that actually disappointed me. That's not to say I didn't enjoy them, just that they weren't what I expected, or wanted them to be.

This wasn't one of them.

I never thought I'd read this, it was just never something that called to me, but I'm so glad I did. I loved it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I didn't read the book, but saw the movie and loved it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I haven't the book either, but absolutely loved the movie! It was actually nice seeing this forum because it reminded me that I would like to read The Phantom of the Opera. So thank you for opening it up!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amose13
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amose13.html
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King

Post by Amose13 »

Oh the book is so much different than the movie/musical. It's one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. Seeing Webber's version of it after having read it, there are so many things he alludes to that aren't explicit in the show/movie but are references to the novel!! It's such a cool and creepy book!!
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King
mgprice
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgprice.html
Latest Review: "Sweet nibbles for the soul" by A.J Hayes

Post by mgprice »

Love, love, love this book (and the movie, too)! This is such a classic, one that can be read over and over and over again. It will never get old. I find that re-reading books, especially some of the classics with thick story lines and hidden meanings, is very helpful. I get something different from each read.
Latest Review: "Sweet nibbles for the soul" by A.J Hayes
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

i love it i also saw the play and the movie enjoyed it all totally worth my time
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Hampton_Roe

Post by Hampton_Roe »

I always wanted to see the play but it was always so expensive...
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I loved the movie, but I think that the book was so much better.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

The Phantom of the Opera (French: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra) is a novel by French writer Gaston Leroux. It was first published as a serialisation in Le Gaulois from September 23, 1909, to January 8, 1910. It was published in volume form in late March 1910 by Pierre Lafitte. The novel is partly inspired by historical events at the Paris Opera during the nineteenth century and an apocryphal tale concerning the use of a former ballet pupil's skeleton in Carl Maria von Weber's 1841 production of Der Freischütz.[2] It has been successfully adapted into various stage and film adaptations, most notable of which are the 1925 film depiction featuring Lon Chaney and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I really need to pick up a copy of this. I love classic books, and I've always loved the play. I don't know why I've never read it before. Great review!
QuillReads22
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by QuillReads22 »

Great review! This book is one of my favorites, though I do have to say, it can be a little slow for me at times. The language is great and the characterization of the Phantom is always better in literature than it is in the Lloyed Webber material. For those of you looking for a good theatrical version of this book, I personally like Maury Yeston's, "Phantom" better.
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

I read this book when I was a teenager, and was really struck by how creepy it was, and also a tragic story of love gone wrong that turns to obsession. I think both the book and the movie version make you feel sorry for the Phantom, as he's someone who, due to his appearance, could never fit into normal society. Good review, btw. : )
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

gali wrote:I didn't read the book, but saw the movie and loved it.

yes i loved it too

Return to “Classic Books”