The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux

Post by CZCampbell »

Great review! I read the novel years ago and then, after not thinking about it for some time, stumbled across the most recent Hollywood rendition. It gave new life to the book for me and I knew I had to reread it. Shortly after reading the book again, I re-watched that movie and it made every scene more meaningful to me. The little parts they included in the movie that were a bigger deal in the book - for example the room of mirrors, took on a new importance.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
razain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by razain »

Nice review
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I really liked your review. It is well written and you have even explained your feelings about the book. :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I read the book version a long time ago, but of course, I prefer the musical. I always end up feeling sorry for the phantom, even though he has serious issues. I'd recommend reading about the history of the book, because it's seriously creepy stuff, like the real life opera house supposedly had a composer who fled to live under the opera house after a fire damaged his face. Interesting stuff like that.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I loved this book. I had seen movie and play adaptations before and had never read it. So, I was surprised by the differences. The book is so much darker and a lot more a horror than a love story, I think. I really enjoyed it.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I really wish the book was more well known; the story has multiple levels to consider. Was Christine more susceptible to Erik's suggestions because her guardians told her to believe in the Angel of Music? Was the relationship between Raoul and Christine built on their childhood friendship or did they latch onto each other because of what happened with Erik? What is the real story of Erik's life?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I loved the movie and the book, and I have to say that they're both very different. The Opera Ghost is definitely more sinister in the book, I highly recommend giving it a try.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

pricklypurple wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 08:25 I loved this book. I had seen movie and play adaptations before and had never read it. So, I was surprised by the differences. The book is so much darker and a lot more a horror than a love story, I think. I really enjoyed it.
I absolutely agree! The movie is great for when you're in the mood for something beautiful. The book is for when you want something scary.
La Stilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by La Stilla »

Even as my copy of the "Phantom of the Opera" isn't perfect, the book grew on me, and I often read it. It's very darkly romantic and melodramatic, it has some beautiful chapters, as "The magical violin", "The masquerade", or "Apollo's Lyre". It does lack logic in places though. While not masterfully executed, the premise and plot are very promising, twisted and I begin to love it.
The musical while being sensational, is not my cup of tea. I would love to read Leroux other works similar as this one, like "The kiss that killed" and his other macabre works,but they are not translated... :roll:
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I think it's one of the few cases where the movie and the theatrical performance are far better than the book. I managed to follow the 'proper' series of events, i.e. I at first read the book, then saw the theatrical and then the movie. The music grips the audience and this is a feeling impossible to occur with the book even if it's intriguing if considered as a standalone work. Great review either way for anyone that didn't manage or didn't get into the temptation to see the theatrical or the movie. If he/she manages to see it before reading the book then I think the magic is lost.
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

I read the book as a school assignment and it was perfect at that moment. It was dark and deep, and the characters are close to my heart
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

So a literature teacher told me that this was one of the original horror novels. I got a copy at the library, read it, and thought, "That wasn't really scary." Then I looked at the publication information and realized I had accidentally picked up a children's abridged edition. So then I got the unabridged version and read it- yep, it's scary. The part where Christine has to choose whether to turn the grasshopper or scorpion really got to me, I remember feeling as though I was experiencing the character's paralyzing helplessness as I read.
Majd Ali
Currently Reading: The Best Is Yet to Come
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majd-ali.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by Majd Ali »

I really enjoyed reading the Phantom of the Opera. I am very glad I had the chance to watch the play live in London, which made me love the book more and be more connected to the characters. I recommend reading the book, and watching the play.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I watched the movie and also read the book. The book was incredibly good. Couldn't stop thinking about it.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I haven't read the book, but from your review there seems to be a difference between the book and the movie, so it's a must to get this great book. Thanks for the review

Return to “Classic Books”