Flash Review: Giovanni's Room

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
christaward
Bookshelf Size: 0

Flash Review: Giovanni's Room

Post by christaward »

Giovanni's Room, by James Baldwin, may have the best written introduction I have ever read. The words hit me as physically as a punch to the gut. They sparked my brain and made me relate to the story. I truly felt for the main character as though this book had been written not just for me, but about me, despite not being bisexual or having a deceased mother.

The problem with having such an amazing beginning was that it left nowhere for the story to go. By the end of the prologue the reader is already informed of the major plot points. Giovanni's death is not foreshadowed, it is known. Despite the beautiful lyrical language knowing the ending in the beginning ruined the book for me.

The beginning itself would serve as a great short story. The rest of the book simply felt too long and drawn out after the first five pages.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

It's a pity the rest of the book didn't live up to the introduction. I've had my eye on this book for a while and I might pick it up now and see if I want to read past the first five pages... Thanks for reviewing it!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Classic Books”