On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kebbyhei
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Post by Kebbyhei »

I have heard about his pro book writing skills and I have read about his books and him he is very talented if he continued he will earn a lot of money maybe even richer than Bill Gates my shelf of books keep growing with Kerouac books I am a big fan of him I am sure I will go nervous if I ever see him
Pkl

Post by Pkl »

From the different opinions. This sounds good book. Am out to check it
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Great book about a totally different time in America, and the world for that matter. This is as captivating of a story as anyone could ask for, told in the language of the common man.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I read this book a long time ago and again in college when I wrote a paper on it. The divided self kind of reminds me of Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Stephen Kings' The Dark Half, but the genre is completely different, at least looking at them nowadays. I have yet to read Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Double which might also have the divided mind sort of notion, and of course, I have to think of the play The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. The play is, however, a much less serious take on it and the reason to divide oneself is not necessarily to do anything wrong, but rather to take a break from life. Gogol's Dead Souls, which I have not read has a character who takes numerous identities, and also the film starring Johnny Depp, The Secret Window. Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken. I've read (in one source) that studies have been conducted using schizophrenics and others to determine that if the brain of an individual is cut in half, i.e. the connective tissue severed, then when a person is assigned a task and they try to perform the task with the wrong hand, the other hand will, supposedly push the first hand out of the way to complete the task. Supposedly. The purpose was to determine right and left brain actions. Gross.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Twinkletoez

Post by Twinkletoez »

What is meant in the book (about halfway through, in my copy page 117) when taking about Carlo and his Doldrums ...
“when he lived in Harlem in midsummer and at night woke up in his lonely room and ‘heard the great machine’ descending from the sky;”

What is the great machine?

Return to “Classic Books”