Looking for a good summer classic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
leann77
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leann77.html

Looking for a good summer classic

Post by leann77 »

Hi I am looking for a good summer read that I can share with the kiddos so we can all read it together. Thanks for any suggestions.
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

I know most would say C. S. Lewis and the Narnia series, though I haven't read past the first book. I would actually suggest Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Following an adolescent boy in the gold of summer, it has certain elements of science fiction, such as most of Bradbury's work, but what drew me into the text was its style, the characters, the overall ambiance of the novel: nostalgic, at times bursting with energy, yet leveled with the consequences of growing up. It's one of my favorite reads, and I cannot recommend it enough.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
leann77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leann77.html

Post by leann77 »

Thank you so much I will look for that book!
aarchul2
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarchul2.html

Post by aarchul2 »

Anne of Green Gables is one of my all-time favorites. It would be even better if you were reading it with your children, especially if you have a daughter. I find that I love it because I am just like Anne (without being a redheaded orphan with elderly adopted parents living in Canada). It also shows the emotions that most little girls are told to ignore. It shows that it is okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. It also shows some of the flaws in vanity while saying "if you have a pretty nose, then it is okay to be happy with that pretty nose".
bree1103

Post by bree1103 »

Peter Pan may be a good one.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

Have you tried Mary Norton's 'Borrowers' books? Or maybe some anthologies from various mythologies.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Little Women is always good!
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

There are some great recommendations in here! I read all of these as a kid and definitely enjoyed them all. If your kids like animals, Charlotte's Web or Where the Red Fern Grows would be great. The Golden Compass series is also wonderful!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I suggest classic books that have movie adaptations so you can watch with your kid after reading together. And since they're kids, maybe children's books? Holes and The BFG come to mind, but I'm sure there's plenty other good ones, depending on your children's tastes.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

The Hobbit! I read that one to my oldest son one summer when he was 2! I made different voices for all the characters and he absolutely loved it!
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

If you're looking for books to read with your kids, I highly recommend A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. This book series is amazing! I read it for the first time a few months ago, and I don't know why I never read this series when I was a kid. It would have given me so much excitement and hunger for more (of the books or other books). I don't know any other kids books/series like this one.

There are 13 books in total, but the text is quite large and the books are not really long at all, so you'll probably fly through the books in no time (depending how much you're going to read with the kids). Your local library should have them in the kids section under fiction (I think).
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

You don't mention the children's age or tastes but I highly recommend Jacqueline Wilson for family reading. My daughter, aged nearly 12, loves me to read Jacqueline Wilson books to her. The first one I read was "Diamond". It's about a girl who grew up in a destitute family in Victorian times and was sold to the circus by her father. It's just brilliant. The story of Tracy Beaker might also be a good place to start.
Admittedly Wilson addresses some difficult social themes so if you're not into that, I can also recommend Philippa Pearce. "Tom's Midnight Garden" is amazing.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I know summer is over, but if you're still looking for great books to read to your children, I highly recommend my two favorites: "Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbitt and "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Patterson.

Not sure how old your children are, but I read these when I was 10.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

A Tale of Two Cities, all the Sherlock Holmes, and the Wizard of Oz stories are really good summer reads. I mean they are great year round but there's something in them that I always picture summer.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

For summer reads for kids, I recommend something like Charlotte's Web, the Anne of Green Gables series, Alice in Wonderland with its sequel, the Winnie the Pooh series, among others. Several libraries and book stores might also have lists if you are looking for something age or genre specific.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:

Return to “Classic Books”