Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Green_gable_annie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green-gable-annie.html

Re: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-G

Post by Green_gable_annie »

So in love with these books, the perfect summer -sitting-under-a-tree book.
GoAskAlice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goaskalice.html

Post by GoAskAlice »

I am obsessed with this story. Its a beautiful adventure about growing up and exploring your imagination. The characters are extraordinary and unforgettable. Whether you read it as a child or as an adult the magic of it will make you feel like anything is possible.
Nitya
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitya.html

Post by Nitya »

Thank you for that review. I have read both "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass" when I was a child, probably no older than 8 or 9. I was so entranced by the whimsical elements and fell in love with characters such as Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum, the Mad Hatter, and even the Queen of Hearts. The very fact that much of it was nonsensical was intriguing to me. However I could not get the idea out of my head that maybe each character and each obstacle that Alice faced symbolized something. It was not until a few moments ago when I read your post did I understand that it actually symbolized different aspects of political and social society of the 1800s. I am now inspired to re-read the books but through a different lens. I might even do some research about the 1800s to gain some background knowledge which will hopefully be able to shed some light into the matter. I never realized there was so much meaning threaded between the silly characters and events of the story.
Thanks again for your review! I am so excited to go back and visit Wonderland!
newhere

Post by newhere »

For anyone interested, there's a very good edition called The Annotated Alice. It explains through footnotes all the riddles, math problems and theories, word play, and even all the political and historical references in Carroll's books.
DivineDiva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divinediva.html

Post by DivineDiva »

Alice in Wonderland is every little girls dream, at least it was for me when I was young. Going on adventures and getting to be very tiny and talking to the flowers, getting bigger and your legs and arms go out of the house. Always chasing the rabbit and seeing a cat appear and disappear out of no where. I enjoyed this book because it is great for young and old alike. Brings out the young in the old and your caught up in the journey with Alice so much, it's like you become her. Absolutely wonderful read! :mrgreen:
agent_books

Post by agent_books »

I love Lewis Caroll's works. Specially his poems

-- 23 May 2016, 18:30 --

-- 23 May 2016, 18:30 --

wikkedpixxie

Post by wikkedpixxie »

I absolutely love these books in this series. As a child I would pretend to be Alice off a grand adventure, I enjoy any good adventure book; however this is one of my all time favorites. I have also heard where people describe the book as a drug induced hallucination. This can be stemmed back to the Hippie song about the book and how the eat me and drink me aspect was based on taking hits of acid or lsd. Then we have the caterpillar who is sitting perched on top of a shroom while toking on a hookah bong. Can anyone else see this side of the story and could there be any relevance to this thought pattern?
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

those books will always be close to my heart I re read them once a year and have done since I was a child. to bad the films reduced them to a farce aimed at toddlers. That is the problem with movie adaptions in general. Dealing with an image instead of the written word the story loses it's depth.
sreeraj v j
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sreeraj-v-j.html

Post by sreeraj v j »

I too loved this book. When i first started reading i felt a little weird though. I Felt like reading someone's dream. But then i started enjoying it and by the time i finished it i become a fan.
twirling Em
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twirling-em.html

Post by twirling Em »

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a very interesting classical novel. Carol's theme to these two novels, in my opinion, were mystery, suspense, fantasy, and dream like. These books have been entertaining people of all ages for generations. The first book, "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland" stars Alice, a young girl, with a great, big imagination. It tells the tale of her falling into a rabbit's hole and discovering many strange things, including enjoying a tea party that never ends, meeting a purple, talking cat, growing larger than a house, and playing a game of croquet with an evil queen. While this book gave me quite a bit of laughs, I found it boring and too odd for my liking.
In the second book, Through the Looking Glass, Alice, starring once again, travels back to Wonderland, only to find that the evil queen has caused a lot of trouble, and it is up to Alice to stop her from destroying her sister, the white queen. This book gave an interesting perspective and also was much too weird for me much like the first book.
Doodle98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodle98.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Doodle98 »

While reading this book I was reminded of J. M. Barrie's "Peter Pan" because both books seamlessly switch between nonsense and childlike attitudes towards life to very complex and adult ideas and issues. Once you pull back a few layers of ridiculousness you find that it is our society and perceptions that are truly nonsensical.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I love these books! I haven't read them in a while, this post makes me want to read them again.
KDao
Favorite Author: Robert Galbraith
Currently Reading: Graveyard Book
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdao.html
fav_author_id: 2890

Post by KDao »

newhere wrote:For anyone interested, there's a very good edition called The Annotated Alice. It explains through footnotes all the riddles, math problems and theories, word play, and even all the political and historical references in Carroll's books.
I almost picked that up last time I was in the bookstore, but I was afraid it wouldn't be what it seemed and ruin the original story!! Did you like it?

It looked really interesting, I should have bought it. Darnit. lol.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I've read the first, but never Through the looking glass. It's definitely a strange book, but very worthwhile to read.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I was never allowed to get into this book for some reason, I think the constant revisiting of the story by Hollywood, video games and other media have me fed up.

Return to “Classic Books”