Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scorpyo77
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorpyo77.html

Re: Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Post by scorpyo77 »

The latest news is that Harper Lee does have enough wherewithal about her to know about the book and approve its publication....so this is definitely going to happen! I just re-read To Kill and it is just a perfectly constructed story. Can't wait for the sequel!!
tori_loe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-loe.html

Post by tori_loe »

I heard that it was to involve Scout as a grown woman. I'm excited to see how the lessons she learned from To Kill a Mockingbird are integrated in to her life.
Brigadoon14
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brigadoon14.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Brigadoon14 »

I've ordered the book and I'm really looking forward to reading it. It's interesting to think that if This book (Go Set a Watchman) had been published, (back then) that "To Kill a Mockingbird" wouldn't have been written.

Any guesses as to the meaning of the title? I know, I know - it's not easy, not knowing the plot of the book but ...

-- 07 Jun 2015, 13:26 --
docdavy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docdavy.html

Post by docdavy »

I for one am waiting for this book which is supposed to have been written by the author long ago. I
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

Yes,Go Set a Watchman was written before To Kill a Mockingbird but I think it will be just as good. It will be interesting to see how the events in To Kill a Mockingbird affected Scout in the long term. I am extremely excited to read this new book.
beccawecca
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by beccawecca »

Hi :)
I just saw this, so, um... Excuse me being four months late.
To be honest, I think it's a publicity stunt. Harper Lee hasn't published another book since Mockingbird in more than fifty years. She's in her eighties, she's half-blind, nearly deaf, senile, and she suffered a stroke eight years ago.
I don't know... It just sounds suspicious.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I just discovered that my local library has this book. I requested it and found that I am in line behind 868 other requests.

Thought you guys might find tis interesting:
I always wondered how she came up with that title and found that the title is actually taken from the Bible ... Isaiah 21:6 ... For thus hath the Lord said unto me, 'Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth'. This theme is reinforced when Scout's Uncle Jack says somewhere within the text, "Every man’s island, Jean Louise, every man’s watchman, is his conscience.”
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
HeavanSent727
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heavansent727.html

Post by HeavanSent727 »

I CANNOT wait to read this. I read to kill a mockingbird at a young age and didn't understand it until I was older, and when I heard this...oh my gosh I just flipped. But my husband isn't a reader and doesn't understand. haha.
DaisyMay29

Post by DaisyMay29 »

Excited to read this sequel! Loved To kill a mockingbird.
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

I'm not sure how I feel about it! I don't really know where Harper Lee is going to take this one, but I am curious to see what she does. I feel as though it will be one book to surely look into.
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
rkrobart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0700">When Jesus Wept</a>
Currently Reading: C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 423
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkrobart.html
Latest Review: "Remembering Me" by Michael J Giannini

Post by rkrobart »

Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird in the last month or so. I've seen the reports about a sequel, and find it hard to believe that there could be much continuity between the two, given the amount of intervening time and the fact that these are the only two works by Harper Lee. I'm looking forward to reading it, but I'm anticipating it more as a stand-alone than as a sequel.
Latest Review: "Remembering Me" by Michael J Giannini
gran1990
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gran1990.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by gran1990 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the original and the movie. I have a little problem with the concept of writing a novel about the characters before the younger characters created and the story was written. I do a lot of things backwards because sometimes it seems the best way to do something. I am definitely going to read the new one.
Disilluded
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disilluded.html

Post by Disilluded »

I just got the book and so far, Lee's writing style is the same as from To Kill a Mockingbird. Knowing the reviews that the book got, reading it is actually a bit nerve wrecking. I'm anticipating certain events even though I don't know how they'll occur. So far so good.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird, but I am currently reading Go Set a Watchman - very rich in creating atmosphere. I'm not far enough along to to discern a story yet.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't know why the sequel has been out for so long and I haven't read it! I wonder if they will do a film version. As rare as this is to say, I enjoyed the film version of To Kill A Mockingbird more than I did the book!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Classic Books”