Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Post by Cbrunyate »

I just read an article stating that Harper Lee is having a second book published, which will essentially be a sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird. Excited? Against it? What's everyone's thoughts?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read about it and looking forward to it. I loved "To Kill a Mockingbird".
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cbrunyate

Post by Cbrunyate »

I'm excited too! I loved (and still love) that book. I just hope it doesn't take anything away from the original, it was good just as it was.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I have read mixed reviews on this. I was not a huge fan of To Kill a Mockingbird. I think being forced to read a book in school took all the joy out of it for me. I want to read it again and probably will one day.

Everyone I know is excited about the sequel coming out but Ive read about Lees decline in mental faculties and her issues with her lawyer (having her sign things she clearly doesnt understand for personal gain). Her sister was her care taker and I suspect had kept this novel from being published for many reasons. I worry that the new novel will disappoint her avid fans and possibly take away her credibility (I believe these are the reasons her sister kept it from publishers). Now that her sister is gone I think she has been and is being taken advantage of. Im not sure I will read this new book.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
gali

Post by gali »

I have read she wrote this book before writing "To Kill a Mockingbird", so hopefully it will be just as good.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Yes @gali. I didnt mean to imply that I thought she wrote the 'sequel' with limited mental faculties....I am more wondering her sisters reasons for keeping it unpublished and who is looking now to gain from the works after her sisters passing. Make sense?
gali

Post by gali »

TLGabelman wrote:Yes @gali. I didnt mean to imply that I thought she wrote the 'sequel' with limited mental faculties....I am more wondering her sisters reasons for keeping it unpublished and who is looking now to gain from the works after her sisters passing. Make sense?
Indeed it makes sense and I wonder about it as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

julieanne
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by julieanne »

I'm really looking forward to this sequel, "Go Set a Watchman" - to see Scout as an adult and eavesdrop on the conversations between her and her father will be fascinating
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

julieanne wrote:I'm really looking forward to this sequel, "Go Set a Watchman" - to see Scout as an adult and eavesdrop on the conversations between her and her father will be fascinating
I read that she wrote the new book BEFORE writing Mockingbird & that the manuscript was mislaid - so how can it be a sequel?
Anyway, doesn't really matter I'm looking forward to it and will definitely be reading it but I am somewhat apprehensive that it might not live up to the hype and that it might disappoint her legion of fans. <fingers crossed >
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
caity_cat_23
Currently Reading: Timebound
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caity-cat-23.html
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky

Post by caity_cat_23 »

I am looking forward to seeing scout as an adult. I didn't enjoy to kill a mockingbird the first time because I was forced to read and report on it for school. I have this mental thing where if you tell me that I have to read something then I'm probably not going to enjoy it at all where had I picked it up on my own or it just been suggested I would have really liked it. So yes I do plan to reread the original and read the sequel.
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

caity_cat_23 wrote:I am looking forward to seeing scout as an adult. I didn't enjoy to kill a mockingbird the first time because I was forced to read and report on it for school. I have this mental thing where if you tell me that I have to read something then I'm probably not going to enjoy it at all where had I picked it up on my own or it just been suggested I would have really liked it. So yes I do plan to reread the original and read the sequel.
I feel the same way about To Kill a Mockingbird! I dont like being forced to read books. I would like to read it as an adult and see if my perspective changes.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I just reread To Kill A Mockingbird a few months ago, loved it all over again. I wouldn't rush to read the sequel if it were by someone else, but it's by Harper Lee herself. It's called Go Set a Watchman, and was actually written before Mockingbird. But the story takes place 20 years after Mockingbird, with Scout as the main character.

The manuscript was believed to have been lost for more than fifty years, and was only discovered last fall. The initial printing will be 2 million copies. Release date is set for July 14.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
pstover07
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by pstover07 »

I am very excited about the sequel To Kill a Mockingbird. I just read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time about 3 months ago. I attended a lecture on it in college for extra credit several years ago. I didn't have time to read it then but I did watch the movie before attending the lecture. I had intended on reading the book long before now but forgot about it every time I went to the library. I ran across a copy of it at my mom's house several months ago and brought it home to read. It is an excellent book and I hope the sequel will be just as good.
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I am excited yet worried. She might be a 'one hit wonder'
So many books to read, so little time..
Cbrunyate

Post by Cbrunyate »

Like many of you, I have mixed feelings about the release of this book. While I loved the original and would like to follow the characters into their later years in life, I don't know about how I feel about the book being published post-mortem. I'm quite sure that the author knew that she could have published this book and would have had she wanted to see it in print. I'm not sure why she didn't destroy it to ensure that this didn't happen. I hate to see that her wishes weren't honored, but curiosity will probably get the best of me and I'll probably read the book. As conflicting as it is, I want to see where the story goes!

Return to “Classic Books”