Little House Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amorlina
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amorlina.html

Re: Little House Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Post by Amorlina »

Is it really a nice books I have been trying to find the next classic books I am going to read can you tell what is your rating for these books?
SeasonOfOpportunity
Currently Reading: Chasing Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SeasonOfOpportunity »

I read all these when I was younger, and now am re-reading them with my children. So far we have read the first three.
Crescentmoon_2007
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon-2007.html

Post by Crescentmoon_2007 »

I have read all of them and I have to say that Laura is my favorite. Personality wise I could see myself in her. I think it is wonderful how a mother can read the series and pass them along to her daughter. My mom did so with me.
cherylgilmore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherylgilmore.html

Post by cherylgilmore »

The Little House on the Prairie
Author: Laura Ingalls Wilder

The "Little House on the Prairie" series is one of the most famous series ever written, and for good reason. These books are true accounts of Laura Ingalls and her family as they travel and live in the prairies. Laura, the second oldest daughter, is an extremely inquisitive and fun young girl. Mary, her older sister, is also that way, but she is more "mature" than Laura in most of the nine books in the series.

These books are easy to read, and are continued to be enjoyed by many children and adults alike. There are bedtime stories, told by Pa and his violin that make the books homey and comfortable to read. There are also adventures that Laura gets to go through, such as going to her first in-town birthday party. Her Ma even pats a bear once, when she thinks it's a cow!

Laura Ingalls Wilder definitely had an interesting childhood and it is so easily put into story form for all to enjoy in these classic books. I would recommend them for all ages, but children would enjoy the easy way it is written. I didn't put this review in the children's section because I enjoyed reading these books recently, and I am almost forty years old! I think you should give it a shot and read these books as a reminder that we all have the hearts and dreams of children. :D
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I read Little House in the Big Woods and i loved it. Now that you've reminded me of this series, I'll definitely be reading the ones i haven't read yet soon.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

My favorite of the fictional series was probably "These Happy Golden Years". But my real favorite was her daughter, Rose's, autobiography. Extremely interesting for Wilder fans.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
twirling Em
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twirling-em.html

Post by twirling Em »

The Little House on The Prairie series was truly an amazing story that showed the incredible life of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It showed both the hardships and the joys of living on the prairie. I was swept away by the awe-inspiring tale written by Laura herself. The book brought both tears and a smile to my face. I would defiantly recommend this book to anyone with a taste for adventure,tenderness, and a whole lot of love.
Tolive-notexist

Post by Tolive-notexist »

Am I the only one who loved the Long Winter? From mole holes and Pa's bad day song to the spelling bee and the Chrostmas box in June I was riveted. I'm from a mountain community though, so maybe it is more familiar to me than most.
- M
Phoebe Castillo

Post by Phoebe Castillo »

Well I for one love all the books. Specially and most specially because it's a true story. Once own all of them, now I'm somewhat regretting I donated those. Well atleast others get to read them and hope they are loving it as much as I did.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I absolutely loved reading these books when I was younger. I'm pretty sure I read all of them including the ones about her mom, grandmother, and great grandmother. I even watched the movies that they made about these books.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I actually have never read the books before but I want to. I just recently bought a few of the books at a garage sale. So one of these days I will just have to get them out.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I have read all of the Little House books and my favorite character was Laura because she was feisty. She had a free, but stubborn spirit and the fact that these stories were true made me love her even more. My favorite book was Little House on the Prairie because of the struggle between surviving the harsh landscape and the isolation. I also loved watching the love develop between Laura and Almanzo.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

I have always liked Laura over Mary. Mary had no sense of adventure. Lol.

My favorite book is perhaps Farmer Boy (it's hard to pick because I liked all of them and especially together as a series). I loved Farmer Boy for its descriptions of food. It was hard to beat his family's table laden with breakfast: those stacks of pancakes oozing with syrup. And their dinner table. I remember the list going on and on, and little Almanzo eating, then sighing, tucking in his napkin, and diving in again.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I found them all in a second-hand bookshop and read them happily as an adult. I had only encountered the TV series before. I didn't relate to the House in the Big Woods - it was a bit boring - but enjoyed the others, especially the descriptions of the way the family lived. The horrors of The Long Winter was graphic and the burgeoning romance was sweet. By the way, I found a copy of The Next Four Years which had an afterword written by her daughter telling about Laura losing the 100 dollar bill to buy their farm, then finding it slipped behind the mirror. It's not in the copy I have. Has anyone else seen it? So sad that Almanzo, so husky, fell ill and was disabled. But then, this is real life, not TV
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

jenjayfromSA wrote:By the way, I found a copy of The Next Four Years which had an afterword written by her daughter telling about Laura losing the 100 dollar bill to buy their farm, then finding it slipped behind the mirror. It's not in the copy I have. Has anyone else seen it? So sad that Almanzo, so husky, fell ill and was disabled. But then, this is real life, not TV
I had never heard this. That's interesting. Have you heard of the book written about Laura called Pioneer Girl? I believe it's Laura's diary including notes, maps and pictures added by a biographer who had written about Laura before. Maybe that story is in there...

So which do you like better now? The books or the movies?
* *I miss snow!* *

Return to “Classic Books”