The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson (no spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lyn_R
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson (no spoilers)

Post by Lyn_R »

This is my all-time favorite short story.
Since it is a short story, there are no loose words. Jackson's writing is to the point and each point is spot-on to take you to its epic conclusion.
From the opening, you get the sense that something is not right with the main character. She seems more obsessed with making her house and appearance perfect than attending the up coming lottery. In fact, she comes across as down right fake and hypocritical.
The writing is clever and profound, but only in retrospect. I've read it several times over the years and the impact of it still amazes me.
If you haven't read it - go find it and read it now! You're welcome. :)
heatherchoffman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherchoffman.html

Post by heatherchoffman »

I completely agree with you! I am a high school teacher and I have used this story several times - it's great to watch young people analyze the characters! (Especially the main character, as you have mentioned.) It's disturbing, but several times I have had students laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. Good call :)
Stella White 47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-white-47.html

Post by Stella White 47 »

I have not read the short story, but my American Lit class in college put on the play based on the story for parent's night. A lot of people didn't like it because they were shocked at the ending, and I have to think they are not accustomed to analyzing stories for their meaning. They clearly didn't get the point. People still blindly follow traditions because everyone else is doing it. Jackson tried shock value to wake them up.
JessicaAnn123
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JessicaAnn123 »

I remember having to read this in school a while back. I think short stories work well with kids and teenagers because it's hard to keep their attention for long periods of time. This book was a great book and it teaches a great and important lesson.
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

I really wanted to like this story. I know it's a classic and it is always on the 'top 100' short stories of all time but I found it really boring and predictable. A lot of teachers like it but it is certainly nothing I would write home about.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Coincidentally, I just downloaded this story yesterday upon a friend's recommendation and then saw this forum thread. I have not begun it yet but after reading your comments I look froward to reading it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

I actually watched the movie in middle school but never read the book. It seems like it might be worth reading. We also read The Most Dangerous Game at the same time, which I also thought was an excellent short story.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

How can you not spoil this story? Doesn't everyone already know how it ends?
boaz6676
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by boaz6676 »

I remember reading this story several times during my high school career, normally in preparation for a standardized test. Surprisingly, given the context, I really enjoyed the story. More, each time I read it throughout those years, I found myself taking more from it. The first time, I found it more of a surprising and entertaining read. However, by the last read, I truly was learning to appreciate the comments on human psychology and society. I think it is definitely a story worth devoting the time into if anyone hasn't already read it.
alm69al1982
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alm69al1982.html
Reading Device: B007G7CO2C

Post by alm69al1982 »

I loved this when we read it in high school. I remember being shocked and just like whaaaaat???? Still a fantastic read.
Apruitt
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apruitt.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Apruitt »

I was a teacher and loved facilitating this book with my students. We also were able to draw a lot of comparisons to contemporary literature such as The Hunger Games.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I was just telling my boyfriend about this story the other day. I read it in college and highly enjoyed it. I would love to find a print copy of it somewhere, any ideas?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
jenmiller516
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 154

Post by jenmiller516 »

Literary cat, you can usually find The Lottery in most Short Story anthologies. It's one of my favorite short stories because of the shock value it gives to high school students.
Apruitt, I love that you draw comparisons with the Hunger Games series. I can imagine that the students are quick to point out the similarities.
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I read this in college and it is so much like The Hunger Games.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
AK413
Currently Reading: Circling the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak413.html

Post by AK413 »

This story has been popping into my head sporadically since high school... Ex:Recently i saw this video of a social experiment where people in a doctors office were conditioned to stand when they heard a bell, but not a single one of them knew why they were doing it. Moments like this my head jumps back to The Lottery and I cant help to shiver with the thought that it is so easily possible. This short story definitely leaves an impression on the reader that doesn't go away, whether you want it there or not.

Return to “Classic Books”