Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment"

Post by Michael Villanueva »

I think this is one of those books that require at least a second read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, but like many already said, the story took a while to take off. I didn't fee like the first 100 pages were boring, but they were all leading up to the inciting incident, which means the story didn't really begin until then.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

I thought this book was brilliant. It took a couple of chapters to get my head around Dostoevsky's way of writing but when I did I appreciated the story he had to tell. The way he wrote about the thoughts and feelings of the murderer was fascinating. It gets you to see the world in a whole new light. His characters are so well drawn and relatable, even if the subjects dealt with in the novel are not. I have read other novels by Dostoevsky, he has paved the way for my newfound love of classic Russian literature.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

I haven’t read this book yet but I keep on seeing it on my booktok. I guess it’s giving me the sign to finally add it on my shelf and read it.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Nikhil karande
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nikhil karande »

My review,
This is absolutely mistarical consider as me
I struggled to get into this book initially, and I think I agree in hindsight, maybe it was the first some pages. But once you're into it, it's brilliant. I've never entirely stopped questioning that basic idea of, why is it sometimes considered ok for leaders to kill a lot of people to get what they want, but not ok for an individual to kill one person who's in their way? The narrator and many of the scenes have really stuck with me, and it was a good some years ago I read it!

Return to “Classic Books”