Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Jmar_la
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Re: Jane Eyre

Post by Jmar_la » 05 Jul 2018, 00:37

I love this book! Jane Eyre, my favorite classic! I love the writing and the story. It was really a beautiful story! I remember how difficult the language, the detail of the scenes and dialogue, but once I got into the rhythm of the language, I really missed it when I came to the end and had to choose something else. It took awhile before I could find another book that would give me that same challenge.

Britty01
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 » 05 Jul 2018, 09:47

Laura Stamps wrote:
02 May 2007, 15:19
Jane Eyre is a masterpiece, and I have read all of Charlotte Bronte's novels and loved them all, except Shirley.

But I know why. At that time I was totally in love with Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I was at that emotional, hysterical age we all go through, and that novel really spoke to me. But when I grew up I read WH years later and found it too highstrung. Then I read Jane Eyre again and fell in love with it, because Jane is a very low-key kind of person, and I am too as an adult, so we clicked perfectly.

After that Charlotte Bronte was my favorite for a long time, until I discovered the two novels by Anne Bronte, and then I could finally understand why Charlotte said Anne was the more talented of the three sisters. Her two novels Agnes Gray and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall are awesome, and my very favorites now.
I loved the part when you explained the reason for liking Wuthering Heights.

I only recently got around to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I loved it. Anne Bronte certainly was a gifted writer and her poems are exceptional. "A Word to the Elect" is one of my favorites.

maryculverflint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by maryculverflint » 05 Jul 2018, 14:44

Jane Eyre is one of my top ten all time favorite books, the few movies made from it have been pretty well done too. I much prefer it over Wuthering Heights.

Northernbird84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Northernbird84 » 19 Jul 2018, 08:10

I first read this at university and I was dreading it. I expected to hate every part of it but it is one of my all time favourites! I even have a limited edition copy with gold leaf page edges.

Bertha Rochester is one of my absolute favourite characters. As someone with a mental illness I can relate to the mad woman in the attic and the way in which she was cast aside.

I've always found the novel to slow down a little as Jane heads to the Vicarage however I cannot rate this book enough.

If you have been tempted to read it in the past please do.

Cher432
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher432.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Cher432 » 26 Aug 2018, 14:15

I love Jane Eyre and I constantly read it to remind myself of good memories. I really loved the characters in this book and they are my all time favorites.

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Amanda Deck » 31 Aug 2018, 13:27

Yesterday I finished reading Wuthering Heights, don't like it. A story of cruelty, abuse, and crushed lives, not my kind of book.

Then this morning, I listened to Celine Dion singing It's All Coming Back to Me Now and looked up the meaning -- I couldn't decide if it was about a lover who died or one who left. Wikipedia says "According to Steinman, the song was inspired by Wuthering Heights, and was an attempt to write "the most passionate, romantic song" he could ever create."

The song's writer (Jim Steinman) views Wuthering Heights as a story of obsessive love more than revenge I guess. I see his point, still don't like the book, DO like the song. I'm still unsure if the man or the relationship died but I was amused to find that connection.

Return to “Classic Books”