Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DuchessAngel37
Bookshelf Size: 0

Jane Eyre

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

This is one of my all time favorite classic's, but I never can quite explain why. I once took it apart bit by bit in a literary review, psychoanalyzing each character and what each one was supposed to represent, and how characters from Jane's childhood re-emerged as different characters later in life, and that made me love it even more.

I remember I hated it when I had to read it in high school, but then as I got older I realized that I didn't hate it at all, I just hated HAVING to read it. I read and write like a fiend, but I don't like having to do it on cue.

What do you think of it?
bplayfuli

Post by bplayfuli »

I first read it when I was 12 and have loved it ever since! The copy my mother had (Ihave it now) was my grandmothers from 1945 & it has some beautiful illustrations. I think that is what first attracted me.

Have you read Villette? I read that one for a Victorian Lit course & really like it as well.
hotgeek

Post by hotgeek »

I'll have to read this book again maybe in a couple of months. It's a must-read for those who love "classics" like me.
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

I love Jane Eyre! There's also a book called Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys that explores (in a very different style) the life of Bertha, the crazy woman in the attic, which is definitely worth reading.
CollegeReader

Post by CollegeReader »

This book seems to have a similar effect on people! I, too, read it in high school and disliked it until I was forced to write a literary criticism on it. Then I began to see its beauty. I revisited the book a few years later and fell in love with it. It really is a beautiful story with such intriguing characters. One of my favorites.
"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled 'This could change your life'" ~ Helen Exley

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures"
Laura Stamps

Post by Laura Stamps »

Jane Eyre is a masterpiece, and I have read all of Charlotte Bronte's novels and loved them all, except Shirley.

Like almost everyone who has commented on this thread I tried to read Jane Eyre in high school and just couldn't get through it.

But I know why. At that time I was totally in love with Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I was at that emotional, hysterical age we all go through, and that novel really spoke to me. But when I grew up I read WH years later and found it too highstrung. Then I read Jane Eyre again and fell in love with it, because Jane is a very low-key kind of person, and I am too as an adult, so we clicked perfectly.

After that Charlotte Bronte was my favorite for a long time, until I discovered the two novels by Anne Bronte, and then I could finally understand why Charlotte said Anne was the more talented of the three sisters. Her two novels Agnes Gray and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall are awesome, and my very favorites now.
PsychoticxFreak

Post by PsychoticxFreak »

I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm a sophomore in high school, and I read Jane Eyre earlier this year and loved it. It really was fabulous. I started reading it because I had enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and wanted to read another 17th-century romance. Jane Eyre was the natural choice. It was really good--I couldn't put it down.
megustaleer

Post by megustaleer »

:?:
Last edited by megustaleer on 09 May 2007, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
megustaleer

Post by megustaleer »

Last edited by megustaleer on 09 May 2007, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
megustaleer

Post by megustaleer »

PsychoticxFreak wrote: I had enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and wanted to read another 17th-century romance. Jane Eyre was the natural choice..
Surely P&P is Georgian (C18/19) and JE is Victorian (C19)?
iAMheathcliff

Post by iAMheathcliff »

I'm a sophmore in highschool as welll, and I absolutely LOVE Jane Eyre. Charlotte Bronte is absolutey brilliant, and Mr. Rochester is the cherry on top =)

Wuthering Heights almost tops Jane Eyre, it has such passion and true heartbreak.

If anyone has read Villette, is it a good read? I'm planning on pickign it up, but I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion.
Dori

Post by Dori »

I haven't read it yet. I don't plan on it either, at least anytime soon. I have too many other books that interest me to read.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
megustaleer

Post by megustaleer »

PsychoticxFreak wrote:I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm a sophomore in high school, and I read Jane Eyre earlier this year and loved it. It really was fabulous. I started reading it because I had enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and wanted to read another 17th-century romance. Jane Eyre was the natural choice. It was really good--I couldn't put it down.
To repeat the question:

Neither are C17
Linda

Post by Linda »

megustaleer wrote:
PsychoticxFreak wrote:I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm a sophomore in high school, and I read Jane Eyre earlier this year and loved it. It really was fabulous. I started reading it because I had enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and wanted to read another 17th-century romance. Jane Eyre was the natural choice. It was really good--I couldn't put it down.
To repeat the question:

Neither are C17
mistakes do happen? why is it so necessary to keep pointing them out?...over and over and over?
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Dori

Post by Dori »

megustaleer wrote:To repeat the question:

Neither are C17
I believe you are correct (although I haven't read them myself). There should be no more question to this.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."

Return to “Classic Books”