Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
complimentarymatters
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by complimentarymatters »

I had to read it in high school. I liked it, but I think I would have liked it more if I had chosen to read it on my own.
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

I am definitely not on the majority side here. I didn't like this book all that much. There was nothing in it that made me stop reading it, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading it.

I am not particularly a 'classics' person, but I did enjoy reading Moon and the sixpence and The picture of Dorian Gray. But, Jane Eyre? No!

Whenever someone speaks so passionately about a book and I have to disagree with them, I ask myself if I read the book properly or whether I missed something. So, I ask you guys, what is it that you liked so much about this book? Your answers may change my opinion about classics and the next time I read one I may try to read it from a different perspective.
Frozeninside

Post by Frozeninside »

I love this book. It is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it in years though.
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

I loved this book too. Especially the end. I think all the Bronte sisters are great.
msllstarz

Post by msllstarz »

I read Jane Eyre in high school just for fun. My main reason for picking up the book was because there were quite a few of my English Lit. teachers who were completely in love with it. My first attempt to read it didn't work out that well, but sometime during that summer I picked it up again and couldn't put it down. Jane Eyre really is one of those beautiful books that make you want to go back and visit every now and then.
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I enjoyed this book for the most part, but I have to say that I disliked the ending to no end! The majority of the book was lovely: sensible Jane falling for Mr. Rochester (I have to admit that I'm a romantic at heart), all her discription and detail of every single person she coems into contact with, but the ending! It felt like Bronte got tired of writing so she just made up the strangest, most abrupt ending ever. I didn't like it :cry:

But the rest was gorgeous! The garden scenes! omg they were divine!
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
deasy

Post by deasy »

I love this book. It was an option to read in High School, and, like
PsychoticxFreak, I chose it because I was so fond of Pride and Prejudice. The part I love so much was when Mr. Rochester reveals he isn't going to marry Blance = I cried with joy :D

But the reason I love the book, to answer book_reader's question, is because the characters and story are amiable. Here's Jane, an intelligent girl but lacks the appearance. And there's Mr. Rochester, who seems cruel but actually good at heart. Now, doesn't that just dazzle you? :D The writing style is one to admire, considering it's a first person narration.

Regarding Wide Sargasso Sea, I had to read it in English class and didn't like it. It didn't capture the same feeling as Jane did. Or perhaps I just don't like spinoffs. :(
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

I must be the only person in the world to have not attempted this book earlier in life! I picked it up to go on holiday with, as it was one of the £2 green covered Penguin classics at Borders, and thought I wouldn't mind ruining it with sand and suncream!

I really enjoyed it! I have seen a couple of the adaptations on the TV and thought it was about time I got round to reading it. The characters had so much more depth than the TV could possibly put into it.

I liked Mr Rochester immensely. He had the bad luck and bad timing that seems so often to befall the actual hero's of these kind of books, and yet was even more likable for his flaws. All the characters are inherently flawed, and I think that is what kept me reading. A perfect hero become one dimensional, but Bronte keeps the characters real and imperfect to the end.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Indeed! I never ever get tired of Jane Eyre! :D I fancy Mr. Rochester as well :wink:
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

I fancy Mr. Rochester as well
Yep! Between him and Mr Darcy, I think I might just agree with you!
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

saracen77 wrote:
I fancy Mr. Rochester as well
Yep! Between him and Mr Darcy, I think I might just agree with you!
It's funny but I was thinking the men in my books far exceed the men in my actual life :shock: oh well :lol:
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I think Mr. Darcy is a better character, but he ranks right up there with Mr. Rochester anyway lol
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
newspeak

Post by newspeak »

I appreciate Austen for her biting social commentary and her irony, but Bronte is a better writer and more socially innovative.

First of all her description and use of symbolism are far superior to Austen’s. Remember her aunt’s red room? How ironic that such a cold woman should have such a passionate room. That Jane should have her breakdown in that room is no coincidence either.

From a feminist standpoint, the characters were also revolutionary. Jane was never a child to be suppressed, and although she became more pliant as she grew older, she never lost her independence. That is why Rochester had to be blinded at the end. He needed to be humbled to be worthy of Jane. I could go on about the other characters, but I’m sure you don’t want to read a dissertation.
Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood »

newspeak wrote:I appreciate Austen for her biting social commentary and her irony, but Bronte is a better writer and more socially innovative.

First of all her description and use of symbolism are far superior to Austen’s. Remember her aunt’s red room? How ironic that such a cold woman should have such a passionate room. That Jane should have her breakdown in that room is no coincidence either.

From a feminist standpoint, the characters were also revolutionary. Jane was never a child to be suppressed, and although she became more pliant as she grew older, she never lost her independence. That is why Rochester had to be blinded at the end. He needed to be humbled to be worthy of Jane. I could go on about the other characters, but I’m sure you don’t want to read a dissertation.
Okay, so I'm not original in the expression of my thoughts, but Newspeak expressed them so well I don't have to! Also - in many ways this is not much of a challenging read...but it seems to grow on me more every time I read it. I've read it many times in the last twenty or so years (eek, I dated myself there!) and certain parts of it seem to have more relevance to me depending on the phase in life I'm at when reading it.

Plus these kinds of writings were very revolutionary for their time! Charlotte was my favourite of the three sisters, but I like the others' works as well. I actually have a huge, lovely book I received last Christmas with all of the works under once cover, complete with copies of the original illustrations. It's a hardcover and the pages are edged with gold leaf. (Not sure why, but these details make me love it more. :lol: )
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

Jane Eyre was such a wonderful book. It was one of my favorites for a very long time. Jane Eyre is definitely a character feminists and independent women because, Jane survived on her own as a poor girl. She is super talented and intelligent. In high school, I strived to be like her because she's such a strong character

Return to “Classic Books”