Emma (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dani_Seilhamer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-seilhamer.html

Re: Emma (spoilers)

Post by Dani_Seilhamer »

I took a course in college that was solely focused on Jane Austen. "Emma" was one of the books I had to read, and I couldn't believe how badly I disliked it. I completely agree with the original poster about not liking the themes of the book. The story is basically just Emma destroying people's lives, and then it all works out in the end. I hated that Emma spent most of the book talking badly about marriage and ruining the lives of her friends, only for her to end up happy in the end. None of my friends could believe that I, an English major, could not like the book. I think Austen is a skilled author, but the story of "Emma" is simply weak.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

La la la... I can't read the post before this one becuase I think there might be spoilers from after the place Ii have read to.

So I didn't realize that there are different versions and some people's versions go straight through chapter 19 and upwards. Um.... Obviously I am like the worst book club planner in the universe, as I obviously dont' know what I m doing.

So, yeah, I read what is Volume 2, chapter 7-12, and it took me forever to read even that much because I thought I was going to die of boredom. The summary:
Frank Churchill got his haircut in London. Someone delvered a piano. They planned a ball and Frank wanted to dance with Emma. Emma's friend suggested setting up Jane Fairfax with Mr. Kingsley and Emma was appalled at such a suggestion becaue Mr. Kingsley MUST remain single so that her nephew is the one who inherits from the family. Then the ball was called off because Frank had to go back home. Boo hoo. First world problems of the early 19th century.

Oh, and don't forget the lady who talks a lot. Boy does she talks. More than Emma.

The more people keep on talking, the more I kind of hate them all.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read all Jane Austen's books, and I love them all to some degree or another. I have read this one several times, but prefer her other books. My favorite is "Pride and Prejudice", and I think it is her best.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Emma chapters 19-24 (Volume II 1-6)

I agree, the plot has yet to emerge. I'm still not sure what the major plot point is. With the introduction of Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill, more possibilities are presented and will, no doubt, be revealed. But this book is moving soooooo slowly, and is just page after page after page of interminable dialogue. The only character with any admirable strength of character is John Knightley, who was all but absent in these chapters (except 21). He is the only one who actually tells Emma when she is being a B.

Jane Fairfax - Emma is clearly jealous of her, and dislikes her for simply being "reserved." And Frank and Emma seem to enjoy trashing her and making insinuations for no reason. I have no strong opinion of her one way or another, but that is true of almost every character in the book so far, including Emma herself. Yes, Frank is immediately presented as oh-so-handsome-and-charming, maybe a a bit too much so. Mrs. and Miss Bates are there for comic effect, and it works to a limited degree.

I just find myself not caring that Mr. Elton is getting married, and that Harriet is broken up about it. She wishy-washily vacillates between him and the farmer dude Mr. Martin anyway, so she can't have had a very strong attachment to him. I see a possible Emma/Frank romance, a possible Emma/Knightley romance, a possible Frank/Jane romance, a possible Harriet/Martin romance. But I'm not "rooting" for any of them, because I don't really care. So far, Austen has failed to create a character in this book that interests me or that I care about.

This story is, so far, a bunch of people who gossip about each other and think about marriage more than anything else in the world. I suppose there are contrasts/comparisons between various characters and their station in society, and some of that might be lost on me because those things are of a bygone era.

One thing that made me laugh out loud: Ch. 21, Miss Bates says that Jane F. has "such a curiosity to see" Mr. Elton. The next line:

"Jane's curiosity did not appear of that absorbing nature as wholly to occupy her."

This is funny! It's sarcastic and witty. It's what Dickens did so well - his novels are full of funny, witty things like this. Too bad they are so few and far between in this book.

I'm not expecting gunfights or dragons, but I do hope the story gets more interesting. I'm 40% into the book, so I've all but given up on finding a character I really care about.

:sad-roulette:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I am so far ahead of you now! But still a week behind the schedule. Hahah! At this rate, I can still finish before the end of the year, which is my ultimate goal. This time, I actually took notes on what I was reading, because I figured if I died of boredom, then at least you would be able to read what I was thinking as it happened.

I'm on Volume 2, chapter 13-18, which I guess would be Chapters 31-36 for other versions.

Here's what I got out of this section:
Emma decides she is in love with Frank but she will reject him anyway because she has already made up her mind not to marry. Then she guilt-trips Harriet into quit pouting over Mr. Elton because it's making her feel guilty. What a great friend (sarcasm).

Mr. Elton got married, and there is a long boring chat with his wife, involving how much she likes music and Mr. Knightley. The new Mrs. Elton also has a fondness or Jane, which of course Emma can't understand and it drives her crazy that Mrs. E has such poor judgement skills. I actually really liked Mrs. Elton during this part. The first character I've thought was all right, but then she got a bit bossy later on and I didn't like her as much anymore.

Everyone made a big deal about Jane going on in the rain to get the post, and Emma discovers (with some relief) that Mr. Knightley is not interested in Jane. And is there a little bit of jealousy I detect in his tone when they talk about Frank Churchill? I tell you, I totally see him going after Emma. Because she is sooooooo perfect and how could anyone not love her. Ugh. Then there was one entire chapter where NOTHING happened of interest, except to learn that Frank is coming back to town. Then the final chapter of this section just consisted of Mr. Weston and Mrs. Elton talking, and then John Knightley talking to Emma about his boys causing her trouble in their upcoming visit.

Talk about a snooze-fest. The only interesting bits were those that I hightlighted here, and you can see how excited those are.

Actually, there was one line I had to note, as it actually made me LOL: "And now to chuse the mortification of Mrs. Elton's notice ... rather than return to the superior companions who have always loved her with such real, general affection." Speaking of Jane spending so much time with Mrs. Elton...

And what's up with the weird spellings of stuff? Chuse? Shew? I kind of giggle every time I see them.

-- 17 Dec 2015, 12:42 --

Now I'm absurdly ahead of you! Mwhahahah! I read Volume 3, chapters 1-6 (I guess this would otherwise be chapters 37-42?)

I actually hand-wrote notes as I was reading to help me remember the important bits of each chapter... because I'm actually having a really hard time getting into the story, as you have probably figured out. I'm not finding it interesting at all, mostly because I really can't stand Emma as a character. Or any of the other characters, for that matter. That's just the way it is.

Seriously, I wrote notes. This is what I had to say to myself:

Chapter 1 - THERE WAS NO DIALOGUE IN THIS CHAPTER. It's a miracle! But now Emma is not in love with Frank anymore, but he's coming back to town, so the ball is back on. Oh joy.

Chapter 2 - Time for the ball, and Emma takes a moment to observe Mr. Weston's faults. Great job. Then it hit me: Mrs. Elton is just like Emma!! And Jane is her Harriet; that's why Mr. Elton likes her! This chapter also makes me feel that my prediction of a Frank/Jane and Emma/Knightley match coming up.

Chapter 3 - Harriet had a breakdown after encountering a group of gypsies? LOL WAT!??! And now Emma is getting more terrible match-making ideas for Harriet and Frank. WHY!?!? Didn't see learn her lesson the first time??

Chapter 4 - Harriet burns some silly keepsakes from Mr. Elton and then resolves to never marry. Personally, I think this was the most intelligent declaration of the whole book so far.

Chapter 5 - Knightley sees something going on behind the scenes with Frank and Jane. Hm... who was it that called that match long ago?? ME! But of course Emma can't imagine such a thing because she's so convinced that Frank loves only her. :roll:

Chapter 6 - This is by far the most boring chapter yet. Another gathering and then Jane left without telling anyone. I actually thought that she hinted that she is pregnant. But then I realized that she was referring to how she will become a teacher... but this freaked me out for a second because I didn't think she had Frank were THAT close. Yet. But, yeah after she left, Frank was all pouty. So...

I'm about 75% of the way through the book now. Two more weeks and I will be done! I hope. I am really looking forward to getting this book behind me.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Okay, I finally finished chapters 25-30 (which I guess is volume II 7-12). I actually finished it a few days ago and have read a few chapters of the next installment, just haven't had a chance to post.

Once again, not much happened. Painfully slow. Frank Churchill is all hearts, butterflies, and peppermint patties. But his going off to London to get a haircut was almost a game changer. Whaaaa???? I don't understand what that was all about. Why was such a big stinking deal made out of a haircut? Maybe a plot device to give Emma pause, that maybe he's just a spoiled dandy? I don't know why that would be an issue, since Emma is a spoiled dandyette. Proof? She is invited to a dinner at the Coles', and has serious reservations about attending because their society is clearly beneath her. Ugh.

Well, she deigns to go to the Coles' anyway, and people engage in silly small talk. Much of it revolves around the piano that has been given to Jane Fairfax, and the gossip and guesses fly. The Campbells? Dixon? Knightley? And there is gossip about Jane Fairfax and Mr. Dixon. Emma and Jane have a sort of "Britain's Got Talent" piano competition.

In the next chapter, Harriet buys a ribbon.

Jane Fairfax plays her piano. More talk about who gave it to her. And there is some discussion about apples.

They plan a ball, and it takes a chapter to talk about that. Then Churchill has to return home on short notice, the ball is cancelled, Emma is disappointed.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if there is a point to this book. Wealthy people acting uppity and spending their leisure time gossiping and "calling" on one another. Observing all the protocols of their set, and extremely self-satisfied when they do. Do any of these people actually have a job???

At first, I thought that the plot was just moving slowly. Now I wonder if there is a plot at all.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

OMG!! I've been wondering that too!! What do these people do for a living? Just inherit money or something? They just sit around talking all day. Jane is the only one who will have a job in the future, and OMG she is so much more pitiful than the rest of them. I would die of boredom if I had to live this life. I am almost dying of boredom just reading about them.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

The slowest reader in the world is ready to post his oh-so-overdue installment....

Emma chapters 31-36 (Volume II 13-18)

I also took brief notes for each chapter, as there is nothing striking, significant, or terribly interesting; it all tends to run together as one long, boring dialogue. Well, here goes...

31 - Churchill leaves and Emma knows that she is in love with him. But since she has vowed never to marry or leave her father, she decides to refuse him if need be. I think her reasons are stupid and weak and they come across as lame and not very good reasons. Sorry, I don't buy it. Weak-minded Harriet is still upset about Elton, but Emma gets her to stop talking about it by telling her that every time she brings it up she reminds Emma of her big, stupid mistake. Because, after all, everything is always about Emma and her cattiness and vicissitudes.

32 - Emma and Harriet call on Mrs. Elton (everyone is always calling on everyone else). Then Mrs. Elton calls on Emma, of course. Because if someone calls on you, you should call on them shortly afterwards. I think it was the rule of call-ons or something. Anyway, Mrs. Elton seems stuffy and arrogant, and Emma doesn't like her. What a surprise.

33 - Mrs. Elton likes Jane Fairfax and wants to help her. Emma doesn't like either one of them. Emma tells Knightley that she thinks he likes Jane. Knightley says nothing will ever happen between them. Jane is too reserved. But Emma isn't so sure. As for me, I couldn't care less.

34 - Emma has a dinner, and an OVERLONG, BORING conversation ensues about whether Jane F. should go get her own mail at the post office. It rained this morning! Heavens, Jane was out in the rain?!?!?! That musn't be!!!! Then Knightley and Jane have an OVERLONG, BORING conversation about letters, and how important they are or are not. And then, just to add some stimulus into this tedious, I-want-to-jam-a-rusty-letter-opener-into-my-eye chapter, an OVERLONG, BORING conversation ensues about handwriting. Who has a strong hand, who has a weak hand, who has a man hand, whose hands look like they could be the Boston Strangler. Oh, wait, I made that up. After all is said and done, here's the reason for this chapter: MAYBE Jane F. wants to go to the post office to get her own letters because she's getting letters from....wait for it...waaait for it...Ireland! That is, Dixon. So this interminable chapter succeeded in moving the plot along...mmmm, maybe one millimeter.

35 - Mrs. Elton and Jane have an OVERLONG, BORING conversation about Jane getting work. Mrs. Elton thinks she should start to look immediately, Jane wants to wait. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. Mrs. Elton insists. Jane counters. I'm looking for my letter opener. Weston comes, and has a letter from Frank Churchill. He's coming again! Be still my heart!

36 - An OVERLONG, BORING conversation between Weston and Mrs. Elton, where each of them only wants to talk about himself/herself. Weston tells her that he doesn't like Mrs. Churchill. Mrs. Elton is only too ready to throw her under the bus, although she's never met her. Then John Knightley or somebody tells Emma what a social butterfly she's been lately, and she tells him that Mr. Knightley is away from home more than she. So nya nya. The last line of this chapter actually elicited a chuckle: "Mr. Knightley seemed to be trying not to smile; and succeeded without difficulty, upon Mrs. Elton's beginning to talk to him."

Sooo.....the plot thickens! Well, no, not really. The plot is as thin and insipid as water. I'm 64% through the book, and I still don't know what it's about. I would have a hard time describing this to someone else. Maybe..."A bunch of uppity English people spend all of their time talking about things, mainly marriage."

Yikes.

Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment!!! Murder! Mystery! Intrigue! Car crashes! Aliens! Or not.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

Ok, so I read Emma, thinking I would like it considering I am a huge fan of "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility" but as so many people have mentioned before me "Emma" seemed to completely miss the mark as far real drama and maturity. Emma lacked any development what so ever. She was the same character at the beginning of the book as she was at the end except she finally decided to get married. I understand that Emma is supposed to be some type of representation of the ignorance of youth, but I was more annoyed than anything especially because she lacked the maturity and strength of Jane Austen's other protagonists.

Outside of the brat Emma, I felt the other characters did not really matter all that much. Sure Knightly would say something interesting every once in a while, but I didnt really make a connection with any character in the story.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Emma chapters 37-42 (I think this is Vol. III chaps. 1-6)

37 - Frank returns, Emma senses that he isn't quite so much in love with her as before. He and the Churchills rent a house nearby for two months. The ball is back on again. Wow. Exciting.

38 - Within the context of the story, I actually kind of enjoyed this chapter. The ball. Interesting dynamic between Emma and Frank, Emma and Knightley, and Mr. Elton and Harriet. Instead of characters vacillating between being likable and unlikable, and just not very interesting - in this, Austen has done a poor job of character portrayal throughout the book - we finally have some people we're not supposed to like - the Eltons. How refreshing! Only Miss Bates, who I suppose is there only for comic relief, isn't funny, only tedious. Her endless droning is not pleasant to read.

I hope you are wrong about an Emma/Knightley romance. I don't think I like him.

39 - Harriet is attacked by "gipsies" and found by Frank Churchill. Finally!!! Something happened!!! A chapter that isn't just long, uninteresting paragraphs of nonsense small talk. But then...as if to ruin it all...what is the first and immediate consequence of it? Emma sees it as an inevitable thing that will bring Frank and Harriet together! Nooooooo! Right back to the same nonsense that we've been reading for more than half the book. Ugh. CAN WE THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE FOR A FEW MINUTES, PEOPLE????

40 - Weak-minded Harriet destroys two small mementos of Elton that she had been keeping. The conversation then passes on to - surprise! - marriage, because that's what these idle people talk about every minute of their lives. Harriet says she'll never marry, because the person she now likes is far above her. Without mentioning his name, they both know it is Frank C. I actually enjoyed this chapter; the dialogue was a bit more realistic - not pages-long speeches masquerading as conversation - and the balance between narrative and dialogue was much better.

41 - I enjoyed this chapter! Two in a row! It was well written and fun to read. And interesting. Of course, the theme hasn't changed, it's still all about romance blablahblah. But we find out that Mr. Knightley doesn't like Frank Churchill, and thinks he's sweet on Jane F. An interesting alphabet game is played at Hartfield, where Frank causes Jane to blush with the word "blunder" and makes her angry with "Dixon." Knightley afterwards tells Emma he thinks there is some attachment between Frank and Jane. Emma replies that she is quite sure there is none on Jane's part, and is absolutely confident there is none on Frank's. Oh, another interesting detail - Frank mentions that Mrs. Weston wrote him about Mr. Perry "setting up his carriage" - whatever that means. Mrs. Weston says she never wrote such a thing. Turns out it's true, but it is a big secret that not many people know about. So says Miss Bates. So they just attribute it to a dream. Well, this will clearly have some significance later. Hmmm...is this book actually getting interesting????

42 - Maybe I was a bit premature. I agree with you! This seemed like a long, pointless chapter. They want to plan an outing to Box Hill, but some thing or another prevents it, so they plan a strawberry picking party at Knightley's. Not much happens, except that Jane F. leaves early, ostensibly because Mrs. Elton annoys her, and Frank C. comes late, is grouchy, and is convinced by Emma to go to Box Hill with everyone the next day. This is the first time Frank has been portrayed in a negative light. Up till now he's just been a dreamboat. Soooo...our principals will be together for another day, to engage in meaningless chatter and suspect one another of plotting matrimony. Oh goodie.

A couple sentences made me chuckle:

Emma says goodbye to Jane F. when she leaves the strawberry picking party. Then it says "Such a home, such an aunt!" said Emma, as she turned back into the hall again. "I do pity you. And the more sensibility you betray to their just horrors, the more I shall like you."

Then this from Emma to her father, about Frank C.'s cranky mood upon arriving to the strawberry party: "I am glad I have done being in love with him. I would not like a man who is so soon discomposed by a hot morning."

Yeah, makes perfect sen-wait, whaaa????

Completely agree, I'll be glad when I'm done with this book. This has not elevated Jane Austen in my estimation, to be sure.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have a confession... I actually finished the whole book...

I didn't make notes this time because I was so annoyed with the whole book at that point that I couldn't waste anymore time remembering the petty little details of every chapter.

Let's just say that I TOTALLY CALLED IT. I called the whole book. Every single relationship that I thought would happened, actually happened, which doesn't do anything for the book's awesomeness because it just shows how predictable it is. And I hate that Emma got her happy ending when she totally didn't deserve it, and if she had just stayed out of everyone's business and kept her mouth shut, Harriet would have ended up happier in the end. And what a crap friend Emma was, sending Harriet away to cover up the fact that she was actually chasing after the man she liked! UGH!!!! I hated Emma so much. And I actually like Knightly until the end when he was a butt toward Frank's letter (like we really needed that whole chapter of his reaction to every line of the letter).

Anyway, I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars. I would have given it less, but I still felt kind of bad for Harriet (and I liked Jane) so I gave it one star just to be nice to them. But that is one very generous star, I hope they know!
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Emma chapters 43-48

@ALynnPowers I can't read your final post yet because I haven't quite finished yet. But I'm plodding along, and may be writing this to nobody, haha, but here goes:

43 - Weird chapter. The outing at Box Hill is strange and uncomfortable. Frank C. is "silent and stupid," but then becomes obnoxious, animated and super flirty with Emma. (I'm starting to think he needs medication.) Everyone sees and hears it, and then a weird challenge is made for everyone to say two witty things or three dull things. Mr. Weston is the only one who does. Emma insults Miss Bates, and Knightley chastises her for it. She feels bad and cries all the way home. Overall, the whole tone of this chapter is strange and, if not inconsistent with the book so far, presents a new element or direction in which the story may go.

44 - Emma visits Miss Bates, I guess to apologize or something, and finds out that Jane F. has accepted a position as a governess or something for people know by Mrs. Elton. But Jane refuses to see anyone. Also, Emma finds out that Frank has been summoned back to Richmond because of Mrs. Churchill and has left already. That's about it. A whole chapter just for that.

45 - Emma returns home and finds Knightley there, who softens when he finds out that she had gone to see Miss Bates. There is almost a little tender moment between them. Knightley leaves to go to London. Suddenly Emma wants to be friends with Jane and be nice to her - this after disliking her for such a long time, and there's no real explanation for Emma's change - but Jane refuses to see her under the guise of being ill. But she sees others and goes out walking, although she said she was too ill to go out with Emma. Once again, there is such inconsistency of character with Emma, which has pretty much been the case from the start.

46 - Bombshell!!! Frank and Jane have been secretly engaged!!! Only I don't care. What is clearly designed to be a super shocker toward the end of the story is just another dumb thing to keep everyone talking about marriage ad nauseam. Because these people don't have any other occupation in their lives. Not that we can tell, anyway. And since we are getting close to the end, well, people will start to get married. La di da. I just.don't.care.

47 - Another bombshell! Emma finds out that Harriet likes Mr. Knightley, and it seems he likes her too. Which makes Emma realize that she has loved Knightley all along, and she starts to regret her efforts to improve Harriet. Okay, a little bit of irony here, but it's all laid on a bit thick. Not as tragic as it's made out to be.

48 - Emma at last fully realizes that she loves Mr. Knightley and hopes that nothing comes of he and Harriet. She will be content if he never marries; she still feels that she never will. She receives news of Jane F., and how uncomfortable it was for her to keep her engagement to Frank C. secret for such a long time. She has no hard feelings toward Emma. Emma thinks about what a mess she has made of things, and her friends may all be lost to her, and part of this is her own doing. This is an import transition chapter considering the last two: Frank and Jane are engaged, and Harriet loves Mr. Knightley. As such, it is fairly well written and I didn't mind it too much.

The classic plot devices of misunderstanding and secrets (kept from both the characters and the reader) are used here, and they are fairly transparent. One can see how they were set up earlier in the book, but it's not done as skillfully as could have been. The "big reveals" lack impact and did not affect me too much, I think because character development is, overall, weak, and I just don't care that much about anybody in this book.

Soon I'll be finished. That makes me happy.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

PashaRu wrote:Emma chapters 43-48

@ALynnPowers I can't read your final post yet because I haven't quite finished yet. But I'm plodding along, and may be writing this to nobody, haha, but here goes:

43 - Weird chapter. The outing at Box Hill is strange and uncomfortable. Frank C. is "silent and stupid," but then becomes obnoxious, animated and super flirty with Emma. (I'm starting to think he needs medication.) Everyone sees and hears it, and then a weird challenge is made for everyone to say two witty things or three dull things. Mr. Weston is the only one who does. Emma insults Miss Bates, and Knightley chastises her for it. She feels bad and cries all the way home. Overall, the whole tone of this chapter is strange and, if not inconsistent with the book so far, presents a new element or direction in which the story may go.

44 - Emma visits Miss Bates, I guess to apologize or something, and finds out that Jane F. has accepted a position as a governess or something for people know by Mrs. Elton. But Jane refuses to see anyone. Also, Emma finds out that Frank has been summoned back to Richmond because of Mrs. Churchill and has left already. That's about it. A whole chapter just for that.

45 - Emma returns home and finds Knightley there, who softens when he finds out that she had gone to see Miss Bates. There is almost a little tender moment between them. Knightley leaves to go to London. Suddenly Emma wants to be friends with Jane and be nice to her - this after disliking her for such a long time, and there's no real explanation for Emma's change - but Jane refuses to see her under the guise of being ill. But she sees others and goes out walking, although she said she was too ill to go out with Emma. Once again, there is such inconsistency of character with Emma, which has pretty much been the case from the start.

46 - Bombshell!!! Frank and Jane have been secretly engaged!!! Only I don't care. What is clearly designed to be a super shocker toward the end of the story is just another dumb thing to keep everyone talking about marriage ad nauseam. Because these people don't have any other occupation in their lives. Not that we can tell, anyway. And since we are getting close to the end, well, people will start to get married. La di da. I just.don't.care.

47 - Another bombshell! Emma finds out that Harriet likes Mr. Knightley, and it seems he likes her too. Which makes Emma realize that she has loved Knightley all along, and she starts to regret her efforts to improve Harriet. Okay, a little bit of irony here, but it's all laid on a bit thick. Not as tragic as it's made out to be.

48 - Emma at last fully realizes that she loves Mr. Knightley and hopes that nothing comes of he and Harriet. She will be content if he never marries; she still feels that she never will. She receives news of Jane F., and how uncomfortable it was for her to keep her engagement to Frank C. secret for such a long time. She has no hard feelings toward Emma. Emma thinks about what a mess she has made of things, and her friends may all be lost to her, and part of this is her own doing. This is an import transition chapter considering the last two: Frank and Jane are engaged, and Harriet loves Mr. Knightley. As such, it is fairly well written and I didn't mind it too much.

The classic plot devices of misunderstanding and secrets (kept from both the characters and the reader) are used here, and they are fairly transparent. One can see how they were set up earlier in the book, but it's not done as skillfully as could have been. The "big reveals" lack impact and did not affect me too much, I think because character development is, overall, weak, and I just don't care that much about anybody in this book.

Soon I'll be finished. That makes me happy.
Try her "Pride and prejudice". I liked the book despite its weak points, but her other books are much better.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

Hi guys, I mostly skimmed through the posts here. How did I miss Emma? I'll add this one in my to read shelf so I won't forget it. My favorite Austin book is as well Pride and Prejudice. I loved it amd would read it again. But for Emma, as far as I've read here, sometimes is borring, sometimes interesting :) I'll try it too !
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

gali wrote:Try her "Pride and prejudice". I liked the book despite its weak points, but her other books are much better.
I've read P&P. I didn't love it - to me, it's just the 19th century version of chick lit/silly romance - but I liked it better than this. Better character portrayal & development, better plot, better story. Still, the premise of both books seems to be snobby, idle, wealthy people with nothing to do but obsess over class, romance, and marriage. Definitely not my cup of tea, and I'll not be in a hurry to read Jane Austen again.

-- 26 Jan 2016, 21:29 --

Emma chapters 49-55

I took notes for the final chapters. Here they are:

49 - Knightley returns and visits Emma. He finally declares his love for her, at which she is surprised. By the end, they are, apparently, a couple. I liked the first half of this chapter; there was tension, and the dialogue wasn't half bad. The second half became very wordy and effusive, but I suppose it fit the style of writing of the time. But the lack of dialogue in the second half was disappointing. I would rather hear it from the characters themselves than from long paragraphs of verbose narration. Such a pivotal chapter in the book, and I felt robbed of hearing from the characters themselves.

50 - Emma is concerned about how the news of her & Knightley will affect her father and Harriet. The rest of the chapter is a loooong letter from Frank C. to his stepmother, explaining some of his bad conduct, and that he & Jane had broken up but now are back together again. It seemed overly long, very wordy and full of unnecessary detail.

51 - As if the letter itself wasn't overly long and uninteresting enough, we have to listen to Knightley's running commentary of it as he reads it. They conclude that Frank C. acted badly in deceiving everyone and putting poor Jane through a bad time, but he is in love, after all, so it can be partially excused. Then follows what must be the most unclimactic proposal in all of literature. Again, no dialogue, just a few lines of matter-of-fact narration. Strange, for an author who seemed to be fairly obsessed with romance and marriage. So they both know that Emma can never leave her father and her father can never leave Hartfield. Knightley, therefore, proposes to marry Emma and live at Hartfield. Emma says she'll think about it. Harriet must be essentially avoided and cut off, like yesterday's newspaper.

52 - Harriet is unceremoniously shipped off to stay with Emma's sister in London, simply so Emma can enjoy her little romance with Knightley without having to think so much about how much she has screwed with Harriet's life and made her unhappy. Wow, how unselfish of her. Emma visits Jane F., and it seems all is right between them, although Mrs. Elton is there and is still a jerk. There is some strange confusion about Mr. Elton meeting Knightley to talk about business or something, but it's unclear why this is given such attention.

53 - Mrs. Weston has a baby, Emma tells her father that she is getting married, he reacts as expected. Other people in town find out, and they are all generally pleased except, of course, the Eltons.

54 - Knightley tells Emma that Harriet is going to marry Robert Martin. Emma is delighted. (This seems, once again, to highlight Emma's selfishness and self-centeredness. It seems she is only happy because she doesn't have to feel guilty over putting her own self ahead of Harriet and possibly making her miserable.) She also runs into Frank F., and everything seems okay between them.

55 - Harriet and Mr. Martin are married, and that's okay with Emma, and Emma likes him. Emma and Knightley get married. Mr. Woodhouse accepts it, but mostly because he's afraid his house might get broken into and is glad to have Knightley around. Mrs. Elton is a bit insulting, but they are happy anyway.

That's it. The end. I'll post my overall opinion soon.

Return to “Classic Books”