Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Re: Little Women

Post by Acwoolet »

I haven't read this book many years, I definitely need to go back and re-read it. I didn't necessarily understand the more complex ideas when I first read it as a child, but there were many good points that I did understand then, such as helping others who are less fortunate than you and trying to be kind to everyone.
Jayashree Lahkar
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jayashree Lahkar »

I had accompanied my father to the bookstore to buy my school books. As always I started browsing through the various books that were calling me to read them and I choose "Little Women" among a few others and I am glad I did. I could very much relate to the character of Jo. That was the starting/base of my present firm feminist views. The values of being there for each other in times of darkness, upholding your values and self dependency shines through the book.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Little Women is one of those books which made such an impact when I was younger. Since I have sisters, this book took on a more personal note. All four girls are wonderful pictures of how beautiful the differences in women can be.
Each giving to the other what is needed for her to grow up. The story just capture's you and you begin to feel for these little women in the different stages of life. All the joys and sorrows.
My favorite character is the mother. With her no nonsense practical views, going against fashionable convention. Love her.
This is one of those books you can read over and over.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I loved Jo as well! I think a good discussion would be seeing what character you associate yourself with and why. What are all their different qualities
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I didn't read this until I was an adult but I kind of wish I had read it earlier (like in my adolescence) - I remember it had a lot of strong moral lessons and nice emotion... probably much better than some of the other stuff I was reading as a teen.
samarv
Currently Reading: City of Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by samarv »

This book is adorable. I enjoyed reading it a lot. It reminds my childhood and shows how the members of a family could be protective in difficult situations. Also you can experience both funny and doleful feelings when you are reading this book which I found it very creative and appealing.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I started reading this to my daughter a couple of years ago. Normally we love the classics but for some reason this didn't really do it for us - she in particular found it rather staid and boring.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

BookishBookkeeping wrote:Little Women is one of those books which made such an impact when I was younger. Since I have sisters, this book took on a more personal note. All four girls are wonderful pictures of how beautiful the differences in women can be.
Each giving to the other what is needed for her to grow up. The story just capture's you and you begin to feel for these little women in the different stages of life. All the joys and sorrows.
My favorite character is the mother. With her no nonsense practical views, going against fashionable convention. Love her.
This is one of those books you can read over and over.
It had a huge impact on me when I was younger too! It made me want sisters (I have two brothers), but it also made me a little glad not to have them because I feared I'd get an Amy for a sister. I really couldn't stand her character when I was younger. My favorite characters were Jo and Laurie. To this day I'm still upset about those two. However, I think now, like you, Marmee is probably my favorite. I find now that I'm a mother myself, I start sympathizing with mothers in books more. Funny how that happens.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I did not read this as a child, but I've been coming across a lot of references to it recently, including a tip that the best chapter is one where Amy throws Jo's story on the fire, but then Amy nearly drowns and Jo feels terrible. I plan to give it a go at some stage!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
panaginip
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by panaginip »

This is the first classic I've ever owned and I still treasure my copy!! I have three younger sisters, and while I'm the oldest, I feel most kin with Jo.
Sebasrodalba
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sebasrodalba »

I loved this book in my childhood and especially liked Joe. It was a bit preachy, but the good parts compensate on that.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I love the bond between the girls and their mother. I was always able to connect with Jo out of all the girls. Especially when her sister destroyed all of her writings. My little sister did that once (as an accident) and I was devastated. I keep a copy in such pristine condition because I hope one day to read it to my daughter(s).
dawuddustin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dawuddustin »

This was the book we discussed about in a primary grade at our school and loved the book. After reading these comments I want to reread it :)
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by dhwanis »

I read this when I was a child. I loved that it was warm and hearty. Of all the women, I loved Jo's character, she was so relatable in her rebelliousness.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I read Little Women when I was younger. Jo was and still is my favorite character. I should go back and reread it.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden

Return to “Classic Books”