Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Re: Little Women

Post by shravsi »

One of my favorite books which I seem to go back whenever I need comfort. Bonds between people is beautifully woven and also with pieces of advice for life, like hidden gems throughout the book." I think we are all hopelessly flawed".
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

I would be very curious to know if anyone knows of any interesting essays or close readings of this book. I loved reading it (and every single one of its many sequels) as a child, I only ever see dismissive references to it now, and I would just be curious to engage with it a little more. For the original poster: as a teenager I read a biography of Louisa May Alcott-- Invincible Louisa by Cornelia Meigs-- and I think that while a little hagiographic, it was child appropriate and put the work in important historical context. It's hard to reconcile the slightly boring family life portrayed in Little Women with the cutting-edge intellectual, radical, utopian-community-building life of Alcott's real family.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

Also: I am annoyed that Jo got married. Alcott didn't. It seemed like a throw-away ending, because readers wouldn't think Jo was a successful, fully-realized woman otherwise.
Jiya bothara
Favorite Book: Anne of Green Gables
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Jiya bothara »

I finished this book yesterday. I liked jo the best because she is a bookworm like me. Beth was good or rather too good, but I understood her pain as I was also sick few months back.

I just had a question which is the next book in the series 'LITTLE MEN ' or 'JO'S BOYS'?
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I love this book so much! I was gifted the complete unabridged version when I was 10 years old and I still reread this book today. I also have the sequels and I feel that those aren't as discussed when they definitely should be! Seeing the March girls grow up still gave me something to relate to, even with the drastic changes in our society today. I would still definitely recommend this to this day, and if I ever have daughters, I would pass down my books in a heartbeat.
Wisdom777
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Wisdom777 »

Little women....one of my most favorite books. I still remember reading this book in my childhood days. I grew up with sisters I can relate to this book. The bond is between sisters and how the sacrifice of one sister to make sure her sisters are well bred is amazing.
What a classic book I really wish authors could write like these books in this generation. Way to go girl. Little women. A must read to all ages.
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

Family is a very complex unit. Often, it is in this complexity and the unending unfolding of life's experiences that create the memoirs of a lifetime.
Thanks to this book, I know life on a more grand scale.
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

This was one of my favorite growing up! My sisters and I loved both the book and the movies. There are two sequels that are equally excellent: Little Men and Jo's Boys. We have lots of great memories reading these together as a family.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

I believe that Little Women is an expectional reading for a young girl. The four sisters have differents personalities and it's easy to reflect yourself in at least one of them. Moreover all the girls have a personal growth during the book, and I think that reading about their improvement is a very good example for the reader.
noraberry64

Post by noraberry64 »

I think its a good book because it let you know that those sisters had different personalities. You can't judge by seeing, every person is different.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

They are turning it into a movie!!!
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

rowoody wrote: 23 Mar 2014, 21:09 This is a book that I loved reading when I was younger. I think I will need to add this to the reading list when my daughter is a little older. My favorite character was Jo. However, I find myself often think about Beth's death. So sad.
I have read Little women multiple times and find it to be the only novel so far that can have the reader so attached to the way the story is going then change directions and you still love the story. Just recently watched the movie, cried like a baby at the scene of Jo going through childhood memories.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila_Hashem »

One of my favorite books. Sad, yes. But it does represent poverty and conditions of the family in a way that is truly memorable. loved it!
ratpizza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by ratpizza »

This is a really good and timeless book. It shows the reader how important it is to love one another as well as the importance of being there for your family in times of need.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I read this one in high school. It is an intriguing read.

Return to “Classic Books”