Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JudyM5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Little Women

Post by JudyM5 »

In these days of such pressure on young girls to conform to certain stereotypes I think that Jo is an admirable heroine. She is a tomboy, a non-conformist who demonstrates it is possible to be a good daughter and supportive sister without always following every rule about ladylike behaviour.
Southernstarr011
Currently Reading: The Midwife
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-southernstarr011.html

Post by Southernstarr011 »

Little Women means so much more to the reader who recognizes that Alcott includes some autobiographical touches into her story. She strongly identified with Jo and had fierce familial ties. The unrequited love of Laurie for Jo always made me a little sad when I was younger, but as an adult, I admire Jo for not taking the "easy" path of love. She showed her strength and independence until her perfect match appeared. The personalities of each sister are thoroughly explored and are sometimes brutally described. Alcott is unapologetic in presenting the good, the bad and the ugly of family interactions.
JudyM5

Post by JudyM5 »

I absolutely agree with you Southernstarr011, and I also like the fact that Jo chose a man who was intellectually interesting rather than the usual tropes of rich and handsome.
Veda
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veda.html
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones

Post by Veda »

I read little women as a teenager and just re-read it again and absolutely loved it. The lessons learnt in that book are still valid to date.
Latest Review: "Antique Mirror" by D.F.Jones
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I love this book so much!! Jo is such an awesome and strong girl. She kinda reminds me of myself because I'm also hot-tempered. Like her, I also love books and love writing stories. I used to look up to her for inspiration when I was in middle school and high school, alongside Hermione Granger and other inspirational women characters in literature
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I loved this book so much! Jo is such a strong woman and her family has flaws like we would expect a real family to have. Though this is a classic, it is a book that transcends in themes and lessons. Jo lets her heart and her head help her create the life she wants and with her determination she is able to succeed.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

One of my favorite parts about Little Women is that the relationships between the sisters are imaginable. I had similar fights with my own sisters and could therefore relate to these sisters.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Booklover813

Post by Booklover813 »

This book is a true classic and is written so well. I would recommend reading little men after you finish little women. It made me cry, but I'm not posting exactly what made me cry! Most classics are dry but this one isn't and definitely worth the read, no matter how old you are!
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I adored this book. It has so many critiques in favor of feminism, and in the college course I read it in, we discussed its rejection of Christianity. It contains so much symbolism, it can resonate with nearly anyone who reads it in some way.
Jbondal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbondal.html

Post by Jbondal »

It is a great book. I think it displays how every girl grows into a different young woman...and thats okay. You have the tomboy, the girly girl , the sensitive one and they each grow into their own woman.
bookloverInCBOR

Post by bookloverInCBOR »

I read Little Women for the first time when I was in fourth grade - I guess that would make me about 9 or so years old. I remember finding it hard to get into. As some have said, it was a bit goody-goody. But I read it again when I was 13 or so and loved it. I went out and found Little Men and Jo's Boys and devoured them. I think the change was how I could relate and understand the story and characters. The heroines, though a little on the "goody-goody" side, were ones with whom I could connect. I was the oldest of four girls and enjoyed looking for attributes of Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy in my sisters and vice versa. I would call my tomboy of a sister 'Jo' and tried to emulate the kindhearted, Beth since I was shy. I think that when you can find realistic associations between a book and your real life, you have a classic, regardless of the opinion of society. In my case, though, I was lucky. It was a classic for me and in literary circles.
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott was probably one of the first books I read. I truly loved the book and characters. Being raised in a home full of boys, escaping with the "girls" was my reward. Coming from a home with strong family values and having to struggle to make ends meet really made me feel "normal". I found it easy to relate to each girl and their personalities. This book taught me to dream, persevere, work hard and do not give up. The road will not be easy. Life, death, struggles, parties, laughter and love. It was all there for me. I think this is a perfect book for your Girl Scout troup.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
ninachatterjee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninachatterjee.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by ninachatterjee »

This is one of those books that I dare to call a favorite. The life of four sisters woven together through trails of love and laughter, tragedies and turmoils. Beth and Jo were my obvious favorites, their bond shone through.
On the other hand, Little Boys lost the original charm, though still quite an enjoyable read. The characters changed so much due to their new life adaptions and the focus was on charming little boys. The prequel is beautiful, the sequel could be honestly a stand-alone novel.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Paich73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paich73.html

Post by Paich73 »

One of my favorite books and I reread it every few years. I have a older copy of both it and Little Men.
Mrsred
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mrsred »

I have a copy of the first edition of this book. Read it over and over, such a love story about the old south. I live in SC so it was very good to me and I also love the history of the Civil War as I had a great-grandfather lost in that war. I still remember the little black girl that said (oh Lord I can't birth no baby) so true because I have had 4 but sure could not birth one. One of the all time favorite books of mine.

Return to “Classic Books”