Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgannaban1995
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgannaban1995.html

Re: Little Women

Post by jemgannaban1995 »

I love the book... I used to hate it (past tense, so, please forgive me).

I found the characters to be refreshing even though they fit a lot of stereotypes during that age. I found the character developments rather logical, except for Amy's which actually came out of the blue (that is, in my opinion). I love how the author aspired to show how women are and how women can be. Alcott, although quite uninteresting when narrating with the voices of her characters, exhibited great talent in telling the story with her own voice.

Also, I think with discussing the book to young girls, the administrator must provide answers to questions as to the characters (outside the novel but famous to the author) whom she was alluding to. There were several persons/characters she mentioned that I had to research on just because I don't want to be in the dark when it comes to her similes.
jenvorm
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenvorm »

I enjoy reading this book. The author does a good job of portraying how we can overcome many disadvantages (poverty, absent father, being women in that era) by not playing the victim role but instead being kind, generous. I love the creative ways that the girls make their own fun! I think in this era this is a good reminder that we can act with honor, bravery, and make the most of what we have no matter our circumstances.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I didn't read Little Women until I was already an adult. I saw the most recent movie in high school. I really enjoyed reading it. I feel like the sisters all represent different ways to be a woman. They're not all the same, but all of their life choices are acceptable because it's their choice. Also, all of the surviving sisters end up happy and content with their choice.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
danamarie95
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danamarie95.html

Post by danamarie95 »

I have never read this book but it is on my list of books that I just have to read! I love my YA fiction but also broadening my horizons :)
teacher33
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher33.html
Reading Device: B00JKCH4V2
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by teacher33 »

I read this when I was younger and my daughter just finished it. I did love how the author developed the characters and colored the relationship between the sisters. All in all this is delightful classic deserving to be read, even if one does not give it highest praise. There is always something to be achieved by reading classic literature.
emmawatson009
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by emmawatson009 »

This book is extremely gorgeous. I am normally more of a fantasy girl, but I must say, everyone should read this book. It's genius. Louisa May Alcott is brilliant author. Once you read Little Women, you'll have to read all the sequels and, like me, you'll go through a major Alcott stage and start crazily reading all her books.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I have enjoyed reading "Little Women" several times. If you like "Little Women" I highly suggest "Little Men" it is a continuation of the story and revolves around Jo and her husband. I really enjoy Alcotts writing and I am a fan of both books.
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Yvonne hawse

Post by Yvonne hawse »

My ability to become so engrossed in a book I become oblivious is what prompted my grade five teacher to pass her copy onto me. I subsequently read every book in the series and have been forever in love with the characters. Jo was my best friend, Beth my little sister, Amy made me laugh with her affectations and Meg, 'the pretty one", was simply my vision of elegance and grace. I never knew what normal family life was like, but this family is the one I wanted... If offering this book to a young reader, do not get one of the many condensed versions out there, get the real. It may be preachy and the language is old, but the beauty of the writing can only com through in the real versions.
beingchinmay

Post by beingchinmay »

Little Women is one of the best cherished books ever. Exquisite Meg, gifted Jo, fragile Beth, ruined Amy: these are hard lessons of destitution and of experiencing childhood in New England amid the Civil War. Through their fantasies, plays, tricks, letters, sicknesses, and romances, ladies of all ages have turned into a piece of this surprising family and have felt the profound trouble when Meg leaves the circle of sisters to be hitched toward the end of Part I. Part II, annals Meg's delights and accidents as a youthful wife and mother, Jo's battle to turn into an essayist, Beth's catastrophe, and Amy's masterful interests and surprising sentiment. In view of Louise May Alcott's youth, this exuberant representation of nineteenth-century family life has an enduring imperativeness that has charmed it to eras of perusers.
AL150N

Post by AL150N »

I absolutely love Little Women - I even read Good Wives (the second part of Little Women), Little Men and Jo's boys. I wish I was as fearless as Jo - I am certainly as opinionated and I think she is my true literary heroine.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I love the world that Louisa May Alcott created! Even though I have read the series many times I can't get enough and have to start all over. I think what is the most addictive to me is the fact that all of the characters have flaws and make mistakes but they learn and make better choices next time. I think that is a good message to sent to readers!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
ReadingwithChocolate
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingwithchocolate.html

Post by ReadingwithChocolate »

I probably related to Jo March in this series more than any other book. However, did anyone else find Meg to be extremely aggravating? Interestingly enough, Louisa May Alcott created her to represent the stereotypical woman of the day (the type of woman Louisa despised).
shemob

Post by shemob »

Reading this book as a teenager I found it to be feminist and preachy. However, rereading it as an adult I found it to be more a story of overcoming of many obstacles and how a family bonds together and supports one another.
-rachson-

Post by -rachson- »

I loved most everything about "Little Women" with the exception of Jo having children at the end of the book. I felt it was disingenuous and just a way for Alcott to have her conform to the rest of her sisters and society's expectations. I never found Jo the type to have children and for some reason that bothered me exceedingly.

Anyway, I will admit that the book was a little sappy, but it is categorized as a Sentimental Novel (kind of like "Uncle Tom's Cabin") so it makes sense.

On a side note, in college we actually discussed whether this book could be considered feminist or not... I think that it's hard to really say. On one hand, the fact that the whole book focuses on a group of women and doesn't trivialize their lives, then I'd say it is could be considered feminist. However, the basic premise of the book seems to be getting married and being demure.

Either way, I found it a good read, and something I wish I would have dived into when I was a bit younger.
laurayam
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurayam.html
Latest Review: "Jason's Luck" by Amanda Morrissey & Katie Macway (The M. Girls)

Post by laurayam »

I loved this book when I first read it. But after I finished it, I didn't feel the need to reread it again. I think I read it about 7 years ago and have not really thought about it since. It was a good story though and at the time, I couldn't put the book down. Maybe I'll try to reread it again if I don't have any books on my "to read" list one day. :)
Latest Review: "Jason's Luck" by Amanda Morrissey & Katie Macway (The M. Girls)

Return to “Classic Books”