Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Re: Little Women

Post by Fliesie01 »

I enjoyed this book a lot. I read it this year for the first time, but it will not be the last year. I loved Jo the most she is different from her husband seeking sisters Mary and Marge. Jo defies all the rules that society sets for her as a girl and later as a woman.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
kukiekun_89
Currently Reading: The Benefactor
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by kukiekun_89 »

I've read Little Women when I was a kid and I enjoyed how the story tells four sisters grew up together through thick and thin and they stood for each other those years. Then, the courting stages, the romantic relationship stages, how their mother in favor of the guy and not. Until they all took different career path and the marriage life. It's a very classic story for me.
Night_mage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-mage.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Night_mage »

I watched a TV adaptation of the book when I was younger and quickly forgot about it. It was only when I read the book at 15, that I remembered. Every March lady has something to offer to the story. I especially like how they teach readers love, loyalty and selflessness.
WildaNew53
Currently Reading: Shadow on the hills
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by WildaNew53 »

This is my all-time favorite book. I love the characters. Allcott brought them to life. My favorite is Jo. Growing up I wanted to be a writer and loved history. So this story was the best of two world's for me. I know it's fiction and not entirely period but it lets the imagation run wild. You can almost picture yourself in Civil War America.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I can remember that Jo resonated with me so strongly when I was younger and read this book. Again, this is a book I'd love to go back and re-read. It is so hard to justify the time for a re-read when you have so many unread books to discover though!
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

This is a very interested novel. Anybody could read and enjoy it. It shows love in family.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Little Women is one of the best novels. it brings out the social settings, cultures, family, relationships as themes in the story.
rf-03
Favorite Book: Normal People
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by rf-03 »

Love this Novel. I read it first when I was young and has re-read it many times. I will never get bored of its themes and storyline.
BIRANCHI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BIRANCHI »

Little Women is very nice novel. I love the characters in this novel. It brings out the social settings, cultures, family, relationships as themes in the story.
ElisaCr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisacr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ElisaCr »

Jo and Laurie were always my favorites. I have to say I understand better now Jo's reaction to Laurie's romantic interest. The first half of the book was delightful and engaging but the second half feels like an appeal to publishers of the era and what they wanted instead of what would be a satisfying ending for the story.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

Reading this thread made me realize how much I want to re-read this novel! I find so many interesting aspects of it. From the role of women back then, to how much each of the sisters is different, to the very realistic description of struggles of everyday life in that era. I also liked Jo and Laurie the most, but I still can't quite get over with the fact that she didn't choose him. Then again, the last time I've read Little Women I was a teenager, so right now my observations will probably be different.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

Little Women novel seems to be such an interesting read. I must look for it and get to read it.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
faaliha_salman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by faaliha_salman »

When I read this book, I though it was slow, But later on it got me hooked up, I think this is an inspiring novel, It basically is all about your purpose of life, Your goal. It is also one of the most revolutionary feminist novel, that shows that woman's can conquer anything, if they want. It also shows the affection and love of a family which makes an individual, A whole.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

Little Women is a right of passage book for all youngins in my opinion! It's just one of those novels that you need to read in your pre-teens.
I actually took my little sister to see the movie adaptation and we both cried during the same parts. She loved it and could relate because we're a family of three girls.
Anyone could see themselves in these characters. Maybe you're the younger, spoiled Amy? Or the mature, level-headed Meg? Or you identify with Jo's need to fight the gender stereotypes and make something of herself in the world. Or maybe you're quiet, meek Beth? Maybe Laurie's heartbreak is something you've experienced. No matter what there's is something in this story that we can all relate to!

Maybe, as you all finish the book, you could ask the troop members to pick a character that resonates with them and ask them to reflect on why that is?
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

It was one of the classics I read in school, but I read the abridged version. Now I feel like reading the unabridged one too.

Return to “Classic Books”