Steinbeck, anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gnj
Bookshelf Size: 54

Re: Steinbeck, anyone?

Post by Gnj »

I read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck at school and this experience unfortunately dissuaded me from reading any more of Steinbeck's work for a long time.

I decided to try The Grapes of Wrath a few months ago after coming across it again and again in 'Must read lists' all across the internet. And I'm glad I did.

This book really stuck with me from the beginning. Unlike a lot of my favourite novels which take some time to get into, you are completely engrossed in Steinbeck's story from the start. The way the fictional story is interwoven with short chapters drawn on the history of the Great Depression through an objective lens really brings home the fact that for some people, this was the reality. I truly felt like I was one of the Joads, fighting through their struggles alongside them. The feeling of hope that illuminated the first few chapters really had you hooked - you wanted the Joads to reach their destination of wealth and prosperity, as unlikely as you knew it to be.

My heart really went out to all those countless immigrants looking for a better life. My mind often comes back to this novel when I read the news and hear more stories of immigrants trying desperately to enter the UK, often risking life and limb to reach the 'green grass' of Great Britain. It makes me wonder how far we have really come from The Grapes of Wrath. This is definitely a story that has stayed with me - it's not something I can read again, but it touched my heart in a way that very few stories have done.

I also subsequently read East of Eden, and while I cannot deny that it was a good book, I can't understand the hype around it. The stories linked through generations was well done, but it didn't capture my emotions the way Grapes of Wrath did. Then again, I feel like it would take a lot to overtake Grapes of Wrath, or even come close (that's certainly how much I love it!).
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

Gnj wrote:I read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck at school and this experience unfortunately dissuaded me from reading any more of Steinbeck's work for a long time.

I decided to try The Grapes of Wrath a few months ago after coming across it again and again in 'Must read lists' all across the internet. And I'm glad I did.

This book really stuck with me from the beginning. Unlike a lot of my favourite novels which take some time to get into, you are completely engrossed in Steinbeck's story from the start. The way the fictional story is interwoven with short chapters drawn on the history of the Great Depression through an objective lens really brings home the fact that for some people, this was the reality. I truly felt like I was one of the Joads, fighting through their struggles alongside them. The feeling of hope that illuminated the first few chapters really had you hooked - you wanted the Joads to reach their destination of wealth and prosperity, as unlikely as you knew it to be.

My heart really went out to all those countless immigrants looking for a better life. My mind often comes back to this novel when I read the news and hear more stories of immigrants trying desperately to enter the UK, often risking life and limb to reach the 'green grass' of Great Britain. It makes me wonder how far we have really come from The Grapes of Wrath. This is definitely a story that has stayed with me - it's not something I can read again, but it touched my heart in a way that very few stories have done.

I also subsequently read East of Eden, and while I cannot deny that it was a good book, I can't understand the hype around it. The stories linked through generations was well done, but it didn't capture my emotions the way Grapes of Wrath did. Then again, I feel like it would take a lot to overtake Grapes of Wrath, or even come close (that's certainly how much I love it!).
You might take a look at Cannery Row and the sequel Sweet Thursday. They are, in my opinion, more accessible than some of Steinbeck's other work.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
PixieCatterall
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PixieCatterall »

At almost 24 years of age, I'm yet to read Of Mice and Men - remarkable given I'll read almost anything put in front of me. As of right now, I'm approximately 1/3 of the way through and finding it a very interesting read so far! If only I could stay on track more, I'd have it finished by tonight. Will be back to read through thread fully, gather a list of other recommended Steinbeck works and, hopefully, give a more informed, better thought-out response.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

Steinbeck is amazing in so many ways but the first thing I always notice reading one of his books is the beauty of his language. His descriptive passages are among the best I've ever read. The first paragraph of "Of Mice and Men" is one of his best. But he doesn't stop there.

His characters, two very unusual guys, are extremely vivid, as are the books other characters. And it's hard not to think of George as being unusual only because he's with Lennie. Otherwise he might just fade into the crowd. But he has someone to take care of and he's part working man and part mother. And then there's the story, something only Steinbeck could think up.

It's hard to recommend a second Steinbeck book; they're all so good. Just pick one that sounds right to you.

I've most recently read "The Winter of Our Discontent", which is a very strange book and not one I'm sure I'd recommend when just getting into Steinbeck, but if you do pick it you'll probably like it anyway. Before that I read "The Moon Is Down", which is among my favorites. That might be a good choice for a next book.

He wrote "The Moon Is Down" at the request of the US Government to be dropped into occupied Europe during WW2 as propaganda and as a moral booster for the resistance. It was dropped and it was said to have had a huge effect and it's still a favorite in those European countries. It's sometimes described as the most effective propaganda ever. And it's a beautiful story and a short easy read.

His blockbusters, of course, are "The Grapes of Wrath" and "East of Eden" and you sure can't go wrong with those. "East of Eden" isn't a difficult read but it's a very thoughtful one; a book you'll probably want to take your time with. And it's a fairly long book. It's certainly among my favorite books ever, by any author.

"Grapes of Wrath" is most people's favorites and one of mine, also. It's a beautiful story you'll never forget and it ends with an unexpected scene that's almost unbearably sweet and poignant at the same time it's tragic. It might just be the single most beautiful scene in literature.

And if you want to see a different side of Steinbeck, take a look at "Tortilla Flat", where he takes what might almost be a slapstick comedy and turns it into something with real depth. You'll laugh and laugh and laugh, even at the tragedy. This might be a very good next Steinbeck book. It's about as opposite to "Of Mice and Men" as it can be and yet it's very much the same. And it's full of the rich beauty you expect from Steinbeck.

Another thing you might do is obtain a copy of his movie "Viva Zapata", with Marlon Brando and Anthony Quinn, two great actors giving what just might be their best performances. He agreed to write the script on the condition that the studio not change a single thing, but just film it as he wrote it. They did and if you see it you'll understand why. This is more of Steinbeck doing what he does best and it just might be one of the best films ever made.

I hope that helps. I think I just talked myself into re-reading another Steinbeck book. :)

Barry
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

@BarryEM,

That was an excellent post and I think you just about summed it all up. I'm glad you mentioned Tortilla Flat because it is a much underrated book in the Steinbeck canon. Actually, if I am not mistaken it was his first book. It is uncharacteristically humorous though all of Steinbeck's humor seems to be tempered with tragedy of one sort or another.

Have you ever read Saint Katy The Virgin, a short story by Steinbeck? It was a satirical farce directed at the Catholic Church and it was outrageously funny. it was about a pig who became canonized as a saint *LOL* I think it can be found in the collection of short stories titled The Red Pony.

Steinbeck is often compared to Hemingway. For my money there IS no comparison. John Steinbeck was one of the greatest novelists of all time. East Of Eden is arguably the best novel ever written by an American; by comparison, Hemingway, like Tataglia, was a pimp. He never could have outfought Santino *LOL*.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
pjswink
Favorite Author: John the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pjswink.html

Post by pjswink »

The Pearl....read it years ago and still think about it sometimes.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I thought about including "The Pearl" but it's such a strange book I decided not to. It's an immensely powerful little book.

I've only read one book by Hemingway "The Old Man and the Sea", which I've loved every time I've read it. A few times I've decided to read another one but none of them really interest me. None have made me want to read it.

I have read several of his short stories and some are very, very good. I have nothing against Hemingway since all my exposure to his writing has been impressive. But most just doesn't attract me.

I read "East of Eden" the first time when it first appeared in paperback when I was in my mid teens. Looking back now I'm surprised I understood it and each re-reading of it seems so fresh I always wonder if I really understood it last time. But I don't think I've ever had a problem understanding it. It's not a simple book but it's not hard to follow at all. I think what happens is that when I read it about every 5 to 10 years I've changed and I get to understand it in a new way.

I guess I have to say that Steinbeck is my favorite author, although there are a couple of others that I like about as well. Nevil Shute is one and Grace Metalous is another. And Bernard Malamud. And Pearl S. Buck, that amazing writer who seems to be drifting into obscurity today. I'm not sure believe in things like "best author" or "best book", or if I do at least I don't believe those are stable claims. They change according to my mood. But if I had to pick a favorite it would be one of these. Probably a different one on any given day. :)

Barry
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

@BarryEM,

OK, I must agree with you there with regard to Hemingway - The Old Man And The Sea was an exceptional piece of fine writing. I think that by the time Hemingway reached this point in life he had grown up. If you've only read this one book then I think you picked the best one. Unfortunately I have read everything he's written and I wish I could have the time back *L* but if suffering through all his other bunk was the price I had to pay for finally arriving at Old Man and The Sea then maybe it was worth it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Bkyle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bkyle.html

Post by Bkyle »

Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors. I have never found a work that did not resonate with some aspect of my life. His ability to use vivid imagery to portray the people and places he writes about astounds me.
Kent
Currently Reading: In Our Time
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kent.html
Latest Review: "Twe12ve" by Ceri Bladen

Post by Kent »

I have read both, The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. I read both in high school. I think I was too immature to understand or appreciate the Grapes of Wrath, but Of Mice and Men was a different story, literally. Mice and Men really hit me though. I thought it was one of the saddest stories I had ever read. The ending gave me a similar feeling to that of Old Yeller.
Latest Review: "Twe12ve" by Ceri Bladen
JB_corbin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb-corbin.html

Post by JB_corbin »

I am a BIG Steinbeck fan. I liked Of Mice and Men, really enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath, and I could read East of Eden every year for the rest of my life. I loved Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, and The Wayward Bus too. I got lost very quickly in Steinbeck's descriptions and enjoyed the depth of his characters. I hope to read every piece of writing he created, and I would not be surprised if I love them all.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

One you didn't mention is Steinbeck's "The Moon is Down". It was written at the request of the war department during WW2 and was dropped by air all over Europe. It's said to have made a big contribution to the moral of the resistance. It's also considered by some to be one of the most effective pieces of propaganda ever. That all ignores the fact that it's a beautifully written story.

Barry
RDryden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdryden.html

Post by RDryden »

I wish I had read Steinbeck in school but I suppose it's not too late.
SABernier12
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabernier12.html

Post by SABernier12 »

I read of mice and men and grapes of wrath and even though they were relatively short books, they took me FOREVER to read because they were boring to me and tended to drag on. Due to those reading experiences I haven't read any other works by Steinbeck. His books are dull in my opinion.

SABernier
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I have just read his 'The Winter of our Discontent'. It was the first Steinbeck's book I have read and I enjoyed it, especially his sense of humour.

Return to “Classic Books”