Steinbeck, anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Re: Steinbeck, anyone?

Post by Scerakor »

I had to re-read what I wrote there to see how you were getting that I didn't like "Of Mice and Men" because that isn't what I meant at all. I see it now, but all I was saying was, we've already talked about "Of Mice and Men" so besides that, I thoroughly enjoyed the others mentioned.

I agree, "Of Mice and Men" is a short but hard punching book which can stand toe-to-toe with many a classic.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Of Mice and Men is in my top three favorite books of all time. I need to get my hands on some more Steinbeck, for sure!
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I enjoyed Of Mice and Men, but I really loved East of Eden. I've been meaning to read The Grapes of Wrath for so long, but never seem to get around to it!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I think the first Steinbeck I finished was The Pearl, which was okay. It wasn't the most enjoyable story because I dislike sad endings, but I do appreciate some of the themes in it, like being happy with what you have and riches not necessarily making a person happier.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I love Steinbeck too!

After I read The Grapes of Wrath I found out that my mother picked grapes and cotton in California when she was a child. She and her family lived in rundown shacks as they traveled from place to place to pick the crops. I can't imagine what a hard life that must have been. I haven't read East of Eden for a very long time, but I remember it really affecting me as a young reader. I'll have to pick that one up again soon.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I have read Of Mice and Men, and I wasn't really impressed either. I haven't read any other of his works, and I do not plan to. Maybe some day, I might read Grapes of Wrath, but it's not likely.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

sophiemer642 wrote:I have read Of Mice and Men, and I wasn't really impressed either. I haven't read any other of his works, and I do not plan to. Maybe some day, I might read Grapes of Wrath, but it's not likely.
I read Of Mice and Men and wasn't crazy about it either. I didn't read Steinbeck for years afterward. Then one day I picked up and read The Grapes of Wrath, and liked it very much. Then I read East of Eden, and it's easily one of the top 10 or 15 books I've read.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

I'm pretty surprised at these negative reactions to "Of Mice and Men". My first Steinbeck book, I think, was "The Moon is Down", which we read in high school, probably around 1955 or so. I was really impressed. I re-read that a couple of years ago, for maybe the 5th or 6th time, and it just keeps getting better.

I think my next Steinbeck book, not long after "The Moon is Down", was "East of Eden" and I was a fan. Then I read "Of Mice and Men" and I knew that was the best book I'd ever read. I kept that opinion for a lot of years. I've read it every few years ever since and my opinion of it just keeps improving.

I didn't read "Grapes of Wrath" for a few more years and when I finally did I started reading everything I could find by Steinbeck and I've been re-reading them all my life.

I have a hard time picking a favorite author. A lot depends on who I'm talking and thinking about. A lot depends on what I've been reading. I think the weather might have an effect too. But Steinbeck is certainly among the top choices, along with Pearl S Buck, Bernard Malamud and Nevil Shute. These are all so good I'm not sure I could ever really decide.

Today Steinbeck is considered a classic writer but when I was young he was a contemporary writer and we waited eagerly for his next book. I still have a hard time thinking of him as "classical". :)

Barry
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

"The Grapes of Wrath" is the one I've read from Steinbeck so far, but it is socially relevant up to today (not just in the US). I find the story a little disappointing though, but the way he presents the problems in the story is the reason I like this book.
-rk
MindyW
Currently Reading: Allegiant
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by MindyW »

I have a love hate relationship with Grapes of Wrath. It became clear as to why the movie was made with scenes of cheer and an ending of hope. When one looks into the history of the dust bowl, you realize that Steinbeck captured it perfectly. The hopelessness of the people, their situation, and the feeling of never finding a way out were vivid. Which is why I threw the book more than once. Only one other book has ever given me so much trouble. This book is splendid, a slice of the depression as never been captured before or since.

Mindy V. :tiphat:
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I read Of Mice and Men in high school and enjoyed it, so I got into East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath, but sadly neither of these were my cup of tea.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Of Mice and Men is my go to book when I don't know what to read next. It makes me cry everytime I read it and I always say I won't read it again but that's a lie. I read it about twice a year.
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

Oh I love Steinbeck! I read East of Eden a couple of years ago, and I fell in love. We "read" Of Mice & Men in school, but I'd love to go back and really read that one. This post has me so nostalgic for East of Eden, I may have to go re-read that now!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I went through a real Steinbeck phase when I was an undergraduate - couldn't get enough of him. I taught Of Mice and Men for four years and still think it's terrific, though, by and large, I think he doesn't do all that well with female characters. Having said, I thought Ma Joad in The Grapes of Wrath was terrific - it's years since I've read it, though. I should re-visit.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am not a fan of Steinbeck in general, but The Grapes of Wrath is amazing. I love how he has every other chapter the story of the family and the in-between chapters are snapshots of the setting and time of the depression in general. The imagery is vibrant and the story, although tragic, is full of hope and the resiliency of mankind. I highly recommend it.

Return to “Classic Books”