Steinbeck, anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Steinbeck, anyone?

Post by Chandler_Greg »

Of Mice and Men was my first Steinbeck and still my favorite, but I've enjoyed several of his other books. I read them all when I was in 7-8th grade, so may have missed something. East Of Eden didn't make much sense to me then. I should probably reread it. Grapes of Wrath was amazing and my introduction to the Great Depression, union-busting etc. His book In Dubious Battle is a more focused treatment of unions, and I actually liked it better. I found Travels with Charlie so entertaining..still fantasize about hopping in an RV when I retire to make my own trek around the country. Like Steinbeck (according to another comment here) I'm pretty shy and would probably have to make up conversations if I ever wrote about it. Advantage to bringing the dog is that his presence would start a lot of conversations.

Also loved Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday and Tortilla Flats, all focusing on the outcasts of San Francisco and showing great empathy and love for them.
kerricellis
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerricellis.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by kerricellis »

I've read East of Eden several times. I think I keep re-reading the book because I miss the characters! Samuel Hamilton, Lee, Adam. There's still this hope that THIS time they'll make different choices. I know how crazy that is, by the way. Plus it's happening in this really exciting time in America when there's all these innovations and new ideas. The Cain and Abel discussion between Sam, Lee and Adam is just so interesting. I've thought about getting a "Timshel" tattoo.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

nah tbqhqy, never understood why we had to study him in school, such a drag imo
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

'East of Eden' is my all-time favorite novel. I love the twist of using a biblical story, the family dynamic is unmatched, and the storytelling is beautiful. I pick it up every few years, sit on my porch with a beer and candle smelling of tobacco, and I'm transported. I adore re-reading that book. I love all of Steinbeck's works, but that one is particularly special to me.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

Tortilla Flat is absolutely fantastic. It was the first I had ever read of Steinbeck, and it felt very out of character in comparison to everything I had ever read about his writing.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

Steinbeck isn’t a genre writer. He’d get an idea and write a book. Sometimes there’d be a second book on the same idea but more often the next book would be unlike anything he or anyone had written before.

Barry
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The only book by Steinbeck that I enjoyed was Of Mice and Men. I tried reading The Grapes of Wrath later on but couldn't get through it. Steineck books are a hit or miss for me.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I think East of Eden is one of the greatest American novels of all time. But Grapes of Wrath is lacking for me.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I do love Steinbeck. We had to read a lot in school, but one I read of my own accord was probably my favorite and the was Travels With Charley. If you have a dog, read it. If you don't have a dog, read it. It's a great book.
blossomjin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossomjin.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by blossomjin »

See I much prefer Of Mice and Men to The Grapes of Wrath
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

PashaRu wrote: 16 Mar 2014, 08:25 Who loves Steinbeck? What's your favorite?

I read Of Mice and Men many years ago, and wasn't terribly impressed. Didn't read Steinbeck for years afterward. Then I read The Grapes of Wrath. Loved it. That inspired to me read East of Eden. I had seen the film with James Dean, but never read the book.

The film is actually only a section of the book (as is often the case). East of Eden is easily one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's incredibly well written, and the main antagonist is one of the most disturbing and fascinating characters you'll encounter in American literature. It's a book that stays with you after you've finished reading it. You won't soon forget it.
The only book I’ve read of Steinbeck’s is Of Mice and Men and I only read it because I had to teach it. I shall try East of Eden on your recommendation!
asmalle7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by asmalle7 »

I also have read Of Mice and Men and didn't care for it too much. I will check out Grapes of Wrath. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

I know this is an old post, but I am a new member and browsed this section. I love Steinbeck, he is one of my favorite authors. I absolutely love East of Eden. By far it is in my top five books of all time. Of Mice and Men is also good, a good shorter story for sure. Anytime I can I recommend East of Eden to people.
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

Steinbeck, goodness!
Well, the last Steinbeck book I read was called "The Pastures of Heaven," which I enjoyed greatly. Was a short-story compilation that centered around a region in central California that locals felt a unique draw to. Many of the people who lived there would go through outrageous ordeals or just culturally understandable outcomes for the Western settlements (i.e. a strict father going to jail for threatening violence protecting his daughter from teenage boys, an indigenous man who is treated unfairly, etc).

I enjoyed Steinbeck, and unlike many of his longer works, this one was just the right amount. :)
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I've read Steinbeck and I have to be honest...the books were kind of boring, but well-written. I read Grapes of Wrath in high school and then East of Eden on my own years later.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D

Return to “Classic Books”