Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 » 19 Jul 2018, 10:47

I studied this in school and analysed it a great deal, so I would more than likely not be able to read the play without thinking about how to answer a question on it!

As my first introduction to Shakespeare, it's certainly a difficult one given the tragic story and the language, but I did enjoy reading it and seeing it performed live.

In terms of the story, my inner feminist would view it differently to how I read it as a student, especially given the patriarchal society and how women are almost bartered to be married, but Juliet as a heroine is one who battles back against this and does her best to shape her destiny, despite its tragedy.

I never really liked Romeo's character, as his impulsive, hot-headed nature got him into dire trouble and his fate was almost pre-determined.

I do like this play, and it is a classic for me with many good memories, and will surely be discussed for decades to come. It's 2018 and we are still talking about William Shakespeare, so that certainly says something about his legacy as a writer.

Zohaib nazim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zohaib nazim » 20 Jul 2018, 15:18

This book is very similar to story of famous "Heer Ranjha".The intensity and passion is written in very beautiful words, i love it.

hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu » 27 Jul 2018, 20:02

I love the book, its poetically written. After the first time I read it, I became obsessed with quoting it! but that aside, the book was just wasteful with lives ( teenage hormones :roll2: ), but there's a solid lesson in there about bad parenting and not listening to your children, that is still relevant in this day and age, that still dumbfound's me, humans really never learn.

hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu » 27 Jul 2018, 20:04

EmeraldEyes8918 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:47
I studied this in school and analysed it a great deal, so I would more than likely not be able to read the play without thinking about how to answer a question on it!

As my first introduction to Shakespeare, it's certainly a difficult one given the tragic story and the language, but I did enjoy reading it and seeing it performed live.

In terms of the story, my inner feminist would view it differently to how I read it as a student, especially given the patriarchal society and how women are almost bartered to be married, but Juliet as a heroine is one who battles back against this and does her best to shape her destiny, despite its tragedy.

I never really liked Romeo's character, as his impulsive, hot-headed nature got him into dire trouble and his fate was almost pre-determined.

I do like this play, and it is a classic for me with many good memories, and will surely be discussed for decades to come. It's 2018 and we are still talking about William Shakespeare, so that certainly says something about his legacy as a writer.
Well said

Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu » 27 Jul 2018, 20:18

Romeo and Juliet was about as funny as it is tragic because of how the story was resolved.

booklysis
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by booklysis » 13 Aug 2018, 08:54

I never read it but I love the storyline. If I read it someday I will surely love it a lot.

Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by Serena_Charlotte » 22 Aug 2018, 22:14

I have a lot of trouble reconciling Romeo and Juliet with my realist mind. The trouble with romances, especially tragic romances, is that it lacks that element of reality that makes it believable. Suffering through the play my freshman year of high school, I noticed even then how unattractively forced and childish the whole thing was. In my opinion, it's better as a children's story, just like Pyramus and Thisbe.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?

M-H-D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by M-H-D » 24 Aug 2018, 19:13

Zohaib nazim wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 15:18
This book is very similar to story of famous "Heer Ranjha".The intensity and passion is written in very beautiful words, i love it.
i love it 2

Cher432
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher432.html
Latest Review: Colour Your Legacy by Susie Briscoe

Post by Cher432 » 26 Aug 2018, 10:49

Honestly school ruined it for me and all I could think about was what an utter lack of communication the couple had. Some simple coordination between the two lovers and there would have been an entirely different ending. It reminds me of today's soap operas whose bedrock is miscommunication.

Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jsovermyer » 12 Oct 2018, 22:08

Romeo and Juliet is my favorite Shakespearean play. I also like A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Sweetp120 » 25 Oct 2018, 17:26

if you enjoy reading it as I have and you enjoy the different aspect of the language to it then might I suggest to you to watch the modern day version of Romeo and Juliette with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. It is by far my favorite version of the old Shakespeare classic. I love the story line to it and the love that -though as doomed as possible from the beginning- it shows. I just wish instead of being a tragedy that maybe they could have overcome the star-crossed doomed part of their love to have a happier ending instead of losing not only those they loved but themselves as well.

Return to “Classic Books”