Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by BookishCreature »

I had zero appreciation for Shakespeare until I read Romeo and Juliet - not because of the play itself, but because my school copy included some essays at the end. One of them described how the play isn't actually a tale of true love conquering all. It's really about how dumb teenagers can be. Like SPasciuti said a few posts ago, Romeo was head over heels for Rosalind and then suddenly fell for Juliet after knowing her for about five minutes. The Montagues and the Capulets don't reconcile at the end because they're touched by their kids' love, but because they realized, "Oh, jeez, our kids are super dumb and rebellious and killed themselves because we wouldn't let them talk to each other. Let's try not to let that happen again." I mean, like, six people DIED for crying out loud. :P
Arianac10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arianac10 »

Romeo and Juliet is one of my least favorite books. I detest a story about a three day romance between a thirteen year old and a seventeen year old. Now, part of the reason I do not like it is because of the hype it gets from middle/high school girls. That aside, it is well written (I mean it is Shakespeare) and is not a bad story. The lesson of the feuding families is very important for people to remember as well. Sometimes you just need to put your own feeling aside when love is blooming.
Georgejuma66
Currently Reading:

Post by Georgejuma66 »

I love this book because of three major reasons:
It moves swiftly to a climax but over a period of three days

Its language is archaic yet very romantic. I can it again and again.

I love poetry and this book is poetry at its best.
Abychacko

Post by Abychacko »

Having first read this play in the adapted Lamb’s version, I confess that I was unaware of its beauty for a rather long time. Shakespeare was fully aware that he was working with a plot that was clichéd even in his own time – today it is even laughable. But the brilliance of a story lies in the story-telling. Romeo and Juliet experience true love the moment they see each other. Love makes them forget everything else. From the very beginning they are somehow aware that they are doomed to die – they have given up their lives to love. Not only love, but every emotion in the play is heightened and leads to terrible consequences. The hatred and antagonism between the two familes, the Montagues and the Capulets, often find expression in extreme violence. Likewise love is also inextricably linked with violence, mostly self-inflicted. Fate rules the lives of human beings, but as Mercutio would say, human beings also determine their destiny. Uncontrollable emotion and the consequences of the same is one of the major themes of the play. The play is also an interesting comment on suicide. The protagonists are Catholics (unlike Pyramus and Thisbe), and to Catholics suicide is a mortal sin. But the play glorifies the suicides of Romeo and Juliet as noble sacrifice, and raises them to the level of martyrs.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

I love Romeo and Juliet, one ofmy most favourite stories ever. I read the book for the first time when I was fifteen. At that time it proved really difficult to me I mean, I don’t know it was difficult to comprehend afterall it was Shakespeare. Nevertheless I read the book again and I simply adore it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
libese

Post by libese »

Extraordinary love. Great book
Valon1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Valon1 »

We are the same every time I read it like a new story again. Great love for that book
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I first read this as a freshman in high school, making me 14. I remember being so upset that Romeo's affection for Rosaline was brushed off so easily! Now I'm out of HS I realize that Shakespear characterized his teenaged boy protagonist very accurately.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

When I read this book I was disappointed to know the age of Romeo and Juliet . Its is definitely one of the most overrated books of Shakespeare as far as the plot or titular characters are concerned. JC, Hamlet and Macbeth are far better books to be read.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I had a high school english teacher that was OBSESSED with Shakespeare l. I am not exaggerating when I say I read this story 6 times a year for 3 years. I was over it. I just recently picked it up again to read it and after 9 years I could actually read it again. I think it is a good read in small amounts, but I believe that it is also overrated easily.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I've never been a fan of Romeo and Juliet although I've tried reading it a couple of times. However, I think that people have different tastes and probably there are those who really love this book. The plot doesn't resonate with me for some reason.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I have to admit that although I like several Shakespeare plays, Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite. The language and imagery are good, but I just can't get over the tragedy of two teenagers 'dying for love'.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Yes, I have read it.Definitely one of my favorites, I haven't gotten tired of re-reading it.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
-+[]

Post by -+[] »

Extreme love. It is interesting to read it again & again
asmamia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by asmamia »

Good book and chekspir marked a lot in it

Return to “Classic Books”