Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

lindyk93 wrote: 13 Feb 2014, 15:03 Romeo and Juliet is one of my least favorite books. I detest a story about a three day romance between a thirteen year old and a seventeen year old. Now, part of the reason I do not like it is because of the hype it gets from middle/high school girls. That aside, it is well written (I mean it is Shakespeare) and is not a bad story. The lesson of the feuding families is very important for people to remember as well. Sometimes you just need to put your own feeling aside when love is blooming.
YES! I agree wholeheartedly! It's a good story, but so many people focus on the relationship of Romeo and Juliet rather than the impacts of hatred.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Everything is fair in the game of love. I must admit that the deaths of Romeo and Juliet saddened me. I couldn't stop crying every time I remembered that such adorable youths died at such a young age.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

A tale almost as old as time itself but the original in its kind. Love it always
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

I have seen this movie when i was a kid i also read the book. This one of the very popular Shakespeare's book. I loved it so much.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

The book actually has an interesting storyline... But why did everyone have to die like that 😪😪. I like happy endings, and having to go through multiple death in one book, isn't pleasing.
mr vettipasanga008_
Currently Reading: The Lamb and the Dove
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by mr vettipasanga008_ »

[amazon=][/amazon] Romeo and Juliet is a classic tale of love and tragedy written by William Shakespeare. The story follows two young lovers, Romeo and Juliet, from two feuding families, the Montagues and the Capulets, who fall in love despite their families' disapproval. The play is set in the Italian city of Verona, and the couple's love ultimately leads to their tragic deaths.

The play is a timeless classic, and its themes of love, loyalty, and tragedy are still relevant today. The story's central conflict between two families, and the consequences it has on the two lovers, is something that many people can relate to. The play also explores the power of love, and its ability to overcome all obstacles, even death.

Romeo and Juliet is a classic piece of literature that is sure to captivate audiences of all ages. Its themes of love, tragedy, and loyalty will continue to resonate with readers for years to come. :roll2:
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Aditii Mehta »

My all time favourite book. Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is a beautifully written story.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

When you put some thought into it, using this specific Shakespearian play for school reading doesn't make the most sense. It was the first play of his I read, and I'm sure it was for many others. Teenagers will be teenagers, but as a young adult I'm not sure you can fully appreciate the emotions they went through. I did enjoy it, but it's not my favorite.
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

Great review,
You explained everything in details
Thank you
I'll definitely read this book myself
The author did extremely well
Tayba Almazimi

Post by Tayba Almazimi »

The play Romeo and Juliet written by Shakespeare. It is a tragic love story where the two main characters, Romeo and Juliet, are supposed to be sworn enemies but fall in love. Due to the constant conflict between their families, they cannot be together, so they kill themselves because they cannot bear to be separated from each other. Romeo and Juliet Shakespeare's Tragedy.
This play is considered one of the most famous and certainly the best
I advise teenagers and older people to read or even learn about the story because it will be interesting for them (teenagers)
TARICK22

Post by TARICK22 »

its a good story and the ending is good too and the story the plot it is a sold 10 out of 10
Rexxar_133

Post by Rexxar_133 »

Romeo and Juliet is one of my least favorite books. I detest a story about a three day romance between a thirteen year old and a seventeen year old. Now, part of the reason I do not like it is because of the hype it gets from middle/high school girls. That aside, it is well written (I mean it is Shakespeare) and is not a bad story. The lesson of the feuding families is very important for people to remember as well. Sometimes you just need to put your own feeling aside when love is blooming :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:
Violeta Rodriguez

Post by Violeta Rodriguez »

Romeo and Juliet is a world famous tragedy written by William Shakespeare. I found the play to be excellent because of the story of forbidden love that takes place throughout the book.
Regarding the characters I think they are all very accurate and play a very important role. The main characters, Romeo and Juliet, are the ones I liked the most, because despite the hatred between their families they put their love before any inconvenience that may arise. As for the secondary characters, I want to highlight Fray Lorenzo, because he is very kind and does everything possible so that things between Romeo and Juliet go well.
The setting, is based on the fifteenth century as in the play we can find samples of it, such as the costumes, or the palace in which Juliet lives. It seemed to me a very successful time because the romantic plot is well set among castles and walls.
In conclusion, the story in general has seemed to me very romantic and at the same time interesting, since I did not expect it to end like this. The work has moved me on several occasions and that is why I recommend it to people who like tragedies and at the same time romantic works.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Believe : A Poetry Collection by Denise Alicea

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I have a complicated relationship with Romeo and Juliet. I love Shakespeare, he is great and his work has survived this long for a reason but I hate the hype it gets. People only know this: rival families, "falling" in love, dying. But they lack an understanding of the story, it was a romance between teenagers that lasted 3 days. I just laugh when people that never took the time to read the book say "I want our love to be like Romeo and Juliet's"
Tonka Petesic

Post by Tonka Petesic »

I have read this book many times trying to understand why it became such a popular classic. It teaches you a good story about peoples relationships but aside that its just a story about two teens that didnt even for more than 3 days. Its written brilliantly but the backstory just doesnt add up

Return to “Classic Books”