Strange case of dr jekyll and mr hyde

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vilana74
Currently Reading: Sandy's Story
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Strange case of dr jekyll and mr hyde

Post by vilana74 »

I did not expect this book to be so short))).
I've read it not so long ago alongside with Dracula and Frankenstein (I was doing my MA then and was looking at good and evil in literature).
May be because of my age, life experience, motherhood, I looked at all the monsters from a very peculiar angle. I felt sorry for them.
Who are we to call them monsters?
MindyW
Currently Reading: Allegiant
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by MindyW »

Paul, in the bible, best describes this duality. There is the intent to do good, but the desire to do what is bad. In the case of Dr. Jekyll, he decided that giving in to his bad side would make his good side more bearable. The slipping on of a new personal, in the form of Mr. Hyde, was simply a way to distance himself, even just a little, from his terrible nature. When beating someone to death is not enough, what can a personality like Hyde reach to before the malice is sated for our Dr. Jekyll. His death was the death of a monster, one that was not made in the releasing of Hyde, but one that always lived inside of him. To a romantic, the idea of the tortured soul may seem appealing. Which, perhaps, is why I always stream back to the pages of the book. We can all resonate with his feelings and needs, yet which of us would show gratitude toward a serial killer? There is a strangeness to it, like watching a horrific collision, unable to turn away. The knowledge that such beasts belong buried is a comfort to the reader. Yes, your boogie man is on page. Put it back on the shelf and feel safe in your moment. Yet, look not to the news or to the paper, less you read of the Hyde among us.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

R. L. Stevenson is such a great writer. The convoluted structure of this work builds up layers of mystery and suspense and the basic premise is one that has penetrated into the psyche of the twentieth century and beyond. I love how Stevenson is so concerned with issues of morality as well as being able to weave a cracking tale.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

One of my favorite books of all time, I just love how short and to the point the story is, I have read it more than ten times in the last couple years and I never get tired of it.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I am just starting reading It on my iPhone so still clueless how this story will end, I get to continue reading it was like solving mysteries on crimes comitted by only one person who disguise himself not to be caught by the authorities, i was on that part so If I am wrong please correct me this is how I understand the first part of the story.
What goes around comes around
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Dr. Jekyll succeeds in separating both halves of himself-the evil and the good. But both cannot exist separate from themselves. Within each of us there is both light and dark in balance. When one becomes more, both are destroyed. This is the paradox of humanity.
Deenu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Deenu »

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was a part of my literature studies back in high school. I spent nine months studying the plot, going through the themes, writing styles and lessons learnt from the story. It is arguable whether it is a dual personality character or a double life character.

For me, it may be a cross from both. Hyde is Jekyll's alter ego. Alter ego is present in people with split personality disorder. However, in Jekyll's case, his alter ego is stimulated with the use of chemicals (the reason why he is somehow related to hulk by most reviews).

It is however different from regular plots where often the good character overtakes the bad one. Since, jekyll himself is the protagonist and antagonist (Hyde), in the end, both characters die leaving the story to be narrated by poor Mr. Utterson who is left to entertain the readers with a closure.

It is a book worth reading if you have patience and curiosity to know how the evil Hyde could be related to the gentleman, Dr Jekyll. Could it be social status and professional requirements that creates alter personality to humans?

The author has tackled one modern day issue right before time..
millyweb19
Currently Reading: Gulliver's Travels
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millyweb19.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by millyweb19 »

We read Jekyll and Hyde in the Edwardian Literature module of my first year of university. I really enjoyed it, probably one of my favourites. We touched briefly on Freudian theory which I had studied in A-Level Psychology and I found it really interesting. The notion that man is not truly one, but truly two is fascinating. I think I will probably end up writing my dissertation on it.
Gloria Kaszyczky
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-kaszyczky.html
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Post by Gloria Kaszyczky »

I think that one of the key themes of the book is definetly the Doppelgänger. I think it's really interesting to see the dynamic of the main characters, how they are intertwined with each other and how there's this fight between them, there's always one who wants to overcome the other and in the end one of them always ends up dead; in this situation it's Jekyll who decides to end his life to end Hyde's as well. I love how this concept is found in so many contemporary books, it's extremely intersting to see how Doubles work and how they influence everyday life.
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

A lot of H G Wells' work is so foundational to contemporary entertainment that major plot points and themes have become cliché. Same can be said for stories like Dracula and Frankenstein. What I enjoy about reading H G Wells is that his books are surprisingly short by modern standards and the pacing keeps you interested the whole time. A lot of stories that are inspired by his books like The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, end up feeling bloated by comparison. Sometimes the story was best told the first time.

Return to “Classic Books”