Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SheReads23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Post by SheReads23 »

This book was very creepy to me as a teen. Like nightmares creepy. To see the television adaptations were no better. :|
Sun_Loving_Bookworm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sun-loving-bookworm.html

Post by Sun_Loving_Bookworm »

I finally read this book about a month ago because it was one of those books that I've heard of but had never read in my youth. Well I found it pretty disturbing to say the least. I can't believe parents would let their children read this.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I really enjoyed this series as well. I've read it a few times actually. I have not watched the movies yet. I seen them on Netflix the other day and was tempted to watch them but I'm not really a fan of reading and then watching the movies, or the other way around. Seems to wreck the story for me. Now that I know the movies don't do the books justice I will definitely be skipping the movies!! Thank you for your review on both!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

I read they first two books in the series, "Flowers in the Attic" and "Petals in the Wind", however I did not read the rest of the series. Not because I did not like them, I am just not a series type reader. I love to read, but find that after two or three books, everything becomes repetitive and predictable. I love surprises and turns, scare me, make me cry or make me laugh. And most of all I find that I much prefer to read a book, and I almost never like the movie that they make. I think the only movie that I appreciated reading before seeing the movie was "Close Encounters". I think I was the only one in the theater that understood what was going on.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Wndr_Wmn wrote:I need to reread the series, I read them in my late teens and loved them. Their lives are so tragic but you can't stop reading! I liked both Flowers In The Attic movies despite their differences, I thought they did a great job with the redo.
I agree. I had to complete the series when I was a teenager reading these books. Reading all five books brings an appreciation for certain characters that you would not otherwise have, too. It is a tragic story that really never gets any better. There is no happy ending.
I liked both movies as well. In order to reach a broader audience, there are things from the books better left out of the movie. When you watch it with that understanding, you can appreciate the movies on a separate level.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I had no idea there were books for the movies. I found the movies eerily disturbing, but being a lifetime buff as i am, i watched all three movies (hides face). The plot was interesting, and if the book is more vivid, I'm wondering if i could handle it. I will add it to my 'to read' list, and i hope it doesn't make me dislike the movie in the end.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Excitedreads wrote:I had no idea there were books for the movies. I found the movies eerily disturbing, but being a lifetime buff as i am, i watched all three movies (hides face). The plot was interesting, and if the book is more vivid, I'm wondering if i could handle it. I will add it to my 'to read' list, and i hope it doesn't make me dislike the movie in the end.
Were there three movies? I only knew of two - the 1987 version and the 2014 TV Movie. I would love more information on another adaptation. If you think the movies are eerily disturbing, the books are even more so. The books are very disturbing indeed, but I had to keep reading.
panaginip
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by panaginip »

I read this in high school and was shocked by it. I did enjoy most of the book so I would still read it again, once.
Sebasrodalba
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sebasrodalba »

Flowers seem to be very beautiful and fills colour in life when seen regularly...Flowers in the Attic is a nice book nice and interesting
krisengel
Currently Reading: Bittersweet
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisengel.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by krisengel »

I read the books as a teenager. I remember being surprised by the content, but liking the story. I may have to reread these as an adult. V.C. Andrews was a favorite growing up, but I don't remember the details too much anymore.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I have never read these books. It sounds like they have an interesting plot, though.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have read all the books in the Dollanganger Series (Flowers, Petals, Thorns, Seeds and the prequel Garden) and all the VC Andrews books actually written by her and some inspired by her. They all have the same mature themes which I'd rather not mention to a general audience.

The themes may be horrible, but they are real. From antiquity to the present, these horrors are happening. Andrews was just brave enough to put them on paper and earn from them (and leave her family well-provided), too. She died in 1986 but her stories (and their horrors) live on. And they all started with Flowers.
L33Doug

Post by L33Doug »

Interesting take. I love reading books that have been put through the "Hollywood Machine." Can't wait to see what was left out. Thanks.
Bjallen1974
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Bjallen1974 »

These books have and will always be the ones you hate but also have to finish. being a mom I really disliked the treatment of the kids.I couldn't see how anyone would hurt kids.I do believe the books told the story better than the movie
anne_lobaton

Post by anne_lobaton »

Interesting.. Must be hated at first but when you have to read it,it's quite humiliating. You think that it was just a fiction but for me as I'm reading it,I know I'm in a real world. may be red by an adult but for sure it will alow children.

Return to “Classic Books”