Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Re: Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Post by Amheiser »

I recently saw Flowers in the Attic on tv and I felt like there must have been a lot left out because it was kind of a boring movie. I had no intention of looking for the books because I wasn't impressed with the way the story was told. That's how it usually seems to go with movies, for me the book is better than the movie. After reading all the posts about these books, I can't decide if I want to read them or not.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
MrsAmyM
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsamym.html

Post by MrsAmyM »

I did a book report on this in fifth grade. Needless to say, it did not go over well with my teacher.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Read the first one as a young teen, and just thought it was too weird for words. Had no interest in pursing the series further.

As for it having a basis in truth, I'm pretty sure I heard at some point that that was a rumor deliberately started to improve book sales, but it was a long time ago. I could be mistaken.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
cheshiregator
Favorite Author: Lois Lowry
Favorite Book: A Little Princess and The Giver
Currently Reading: Six Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiregator.html
fav_author_id: 2653

Post by cheshiregator »

MrsAmyM wrote:I did a book report on this in fifth grade. Needless to say, it did not go over well with my teacher.
That actually made me laugh out loud :lol:
Wndr_Wmn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wndr-wmn.html

Post by Wndr_Wmn »

I need to reread the series, I read them in my late teens and loved them. Their lives are so tragic but you can't stop reading! I liked both Flowers In The Attic movies despite their differences, I thought they did a great job with the redo.
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I read Flowers in the Attic when I was younger and loved it but not the movie adaptation- haven't read the sequel--- is it worth the read??
cheshiregator

Post by cheshiregator »

salberson 10 wrote:I read Flowers in the Attic when I was younger and loved it but not the movie adaptation- haven't read the sequel--- is it worth the read??
I think Petals on the Wind was but not really anything after. Personal opinion though
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

I have read every nook in the series but nothing can compare to the first. The writing has a way of sucking the reader in and making them feel as though they are also experiencing the abuse that the children have. While disturbing, this book is very interesting from a psychological viewpoint and returns to the age old discussion of nature vs. nurture. The rest of the series goes deeper into the topic as well as the final book of the series which is a prequel told from the grandmother's point of view. It shows that what we experience can be passed on for generations.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I didn't realize there were others in the series! I really think I will look into it! Thanks Ya'll
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

The movie adaptations were nothing compared to the books.
I don't think I could be able to put myself through reading the series ever again but it was an experience.
Flowers in the Attic was the best of the series that I read, it had the best writing and overall plot.
As the series went on the storyline became a bit more ridiculous and gross.
I got to the 3rd or 4th book in the series and finally had to stop because I couldn't take the disgust I felt while reading anymore.
I don't think this is a strong series and I'm surprised my mother suggested the series to me when i was 12.

I think this is for those that are older and I think the first book Flowers in the Attic stands well enough on its own.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
cheshiregator

Post by cheshiregator »

mandap24 wrote: Flowers in the Attic was the best of the series that I read, it had the best writing and overall plot.
As the series went on the storyline became a bit more ridiculous and gross.
I got to the 3rd or 4th book in the series and finally had to stop because I couldn't take the disgust I felt while reading anymore.
I stopped after the third as well. In addition to the storyline really stretching the imagination, the "gross" parts no longer seemed to matter to plot and just felt like they were there for shock value. I would still say Petals on the Wind is a decent read.
babygirl21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babygirl21.html

Post by babygirl21 »

In my opinion the books and movies both sucked.Thats just my opinion!!!!!!
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

I haven't read these books but I read "My Sweet Audrina" by the same author, VC Andrews, when I was in my early teens. I thought it was a horror/thriller novel and then I found out it was...not. It scarred me for life. LOL

Is it true, that VC Andrews books are marketed to the YA crowd? Her stories are so disturbing and lurid. Not appropriate for teens at all, in my opinion.
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

I read them all when I was younger (hid them from my parents of course) Unfortunately, after VC Andrews died, her family continued with her books and they just werent the same. That being said, the movie adaptations were horrible beyond words and did a terrible dis-service to the actors involved, in my opinion

-- 30 Jul 2014, 10:38 --
Charlotte Reese wrote:I haven't read these books but I read "My Sweet Audrina" by the same author, VC Andrews, when I was in my early teens. I thought it was a horror/thriller novel and then I found out it was...not. It scarred me for life. LOL

Is it true, that VC Andrews books are marketed to the YA crowd? Her stories are so disturbing and lurid. Not appropriate for teens at all, in my opinion.
They are in the Horror section at my bookstore. I know I wouldnt let my 12 yr old daughter read them!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I read this series a long time ago, somewhere around seventh/eight grade and I fell in love with V. C. Andrews. I was constantly checking her books out of the library. I saw the older edition of the movie, but have yet to see the new ones on Lifetime. My mother watched them and said they were really good, but I still can't get her to read the books. If I remember correctly, this part was in the third book so spoiler if you haven't read it, but I remember rooting for Cathy when she was stealing away her mother's handsome new man. I was so engrossed in it!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod

Return to “Classic Books”