A Review of Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

A Review of Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther"

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Wertheris a perfect example of the graceful art unrequited love can be. Its prose is about as much like poetry as prose can get, a fact that makes for a deeply emotional study of a young man's downward spiral, albeit, yes, a bit flowery here and there. Yet, despite its eloquence, it's length is not intimidating in the least, and its protagonist is all too relatable, facts which had me nodding, after my first reading of it, to Werther's words, "Be on your guard... and take care not to fall in love!"
I wasn't expecting much more than the usual philosophical masterpiece, a funny thing to have thought, I see, now that I've written it down, no masterpiece being usual. It's typically slow moving with a nice punch somewhere around the middle to keep a reader paying attention, and a good kick at the end to keep him from thinking his time was wasted on it. In the case of the world's first bestseller, however, one of the few bestselling novels that can be called both notable works of art and miniseries delicious, the ball starts rolling almost immediately, and, even though the outcome has already been told us in roundabouts on the introductory page, we can't help but keep turning the pages, fascinated by the mind of the miserable guy who started the craze of dramatic young characters in fiction that still hasn't ended, much to our delight.
The rest of the cast isn't any less affecting. Goethe has seen to it that Lotte is a pretty girl with a sympathetic and balanced head, her affections for Werther seeming a little deeper than they're made out to be, so we are sorry for her when she falls entirely out of herself after learning Werther has shot himself through the eye, not that the great uproar within her thus that has everyone she knows fearing for her life prompts her to attend Werther's burial. We wonder if Albert doesn't know exactly what he's doing when he has her give Werther's servant the pistols Werther asks him for in a letter just before the close of the novel. He's, after all, well educated and shrewd, not oblivious to the fact that Werther is a passionate guy. By the time I reached the last page, the juice of the plot was dripping from my fingers!
The only thing to slow the action is a little bite of even older writings that, of course, any eighteenth century author in his right mind had to add in if he was to sell a book, because then just as now nobody thought anything written in their own age was any good. They consume about four pages and, if one is of the attitude for them, they can be interesting, all of them having mystical and melancholy elements. If not, one excuse I can offer in Goethe's behalf is the probability that, as he knew his work here was shorter than most, he supposed he needed something to keep the ending from seeming rushed, which he didn't have to worry about, the entire narrative being very appropriately and consistently paced.
In all, this is one of those classics anyone can enjoy. It's short enough that a casual reader doesn't have to worry about boredom and written well enough that any literature buff can say it's worthy to be called the first great tragic work of European fiction. The emotions it conveys are very real to everyone who has suffered the same fortunes in love we see Werther suffer throughout the novel, and any other sap will be pulled so deeply into Werther's frustrations and pains he'll feel they're his own. If that's the essence of any good book, then The Sorrows of Young Werther is truly exceptional.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

The title of this book piqued my interest. I loved reading your review.
billday10
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: grapes of wrath
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billday10.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by billday10 »

I saw a link to a psychiatry article in the Lancelet, in The Atlantic yesterday. It went into the backstory about Goethe's two friend groups, and how writing this was cathartic for him, but led to suicides amongst its readers...quite dark
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I read this book many years ago and I need to reread it. I remember that my literature teacher said that the launch of this work caused countless suicides in Europe.
Mariam369
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mariam369 »

I loved the manual about the book, and were curious to read it
Jedothek
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jedothek »

A simple mechanical question: i dont get the premise of the first pages of the novel. Is Werther just on vacation? How did he choose this little village as a place to vacation? Is he a professional artist? Is he independently wealthy? What is his social class? (This matters inasmuch as he clearly considers the villagers to be of a different class than he.) i’m sorry if my questions show stupidity: im sure any 18th century reader would understand the setup.

Return to “Classic Books”