Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post by pricklypurple » 25 Jun 2018, 08:35

It's a great book and a great story about love and friendship. This is a story that I absorbed so many years ago, but that made such an impression, I never forget it. This is unlike so many books that I forget almost as soon as closing them.

Northernbird84
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Northernbird84 » 19 Jul 2018, 09:30

I read this book when I was 15, I am 34 now and I still hold this book in high regard. I remember being teased because I cried as we read it in our English Literature class. I wont say why as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

TaaraLynn
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn » 19 Jul 2018, 09:41

It's intersting to see that many have read this book in school. This was not on our reading list. I've always known of the movie first, until recently. So, I would definitely love to read the book first.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss » 25 Jul 2018, 16:22

I was so disappointed when this was taken off the curriculum. It was a fantastic book to teach. The kids and I loved it. The English was good, the story was great and it was accessible to everyone. A timeless classic.

smacky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by smacky » 27 Jul 2018, 01:57

even me I read of mice and men when I was I'm high school the book was educative I really enjoyed it

AnnaKathleen
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Currently Reading: Jealousy
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: Falling to Pieces by E.L Green

Post by AnnaKathleen » 10 Aug 2018, 12:02

I loved Of Mice and Men, even though it broke my heart.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

blossomjin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossomjin.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by blossomjin » 15 Aug 2018, 21:40

Of Mice and Men was one of the core texts for my school when I was doing my GCSE's and still to this day I know that book like the back of my hand. I thought that I would hate it considering how much I reread it, but it is a book close to my heart. I associate a lot of good things with this books and wish that more people I know didn't find it as traumatizing.

blossomjin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossomjin.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by blossomjin » 15 Aug 2018, 21:43

Dream Catcher wrote:
11 Jan 2014, 09:58
I studied this book during my last year of secondary school. It was a great book and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone as well as the film. Although, when I turned the first page someone had written "George Shoots Lenny" on the inside cover. This didn't ruin it for me however, which is a great thing because it was such a good read with lots of motifs which were quite interesting once you thought about them in more depth. Great story, tempted to re-read it.
That happened a lot in my school too.

Return to “Classic Books”