Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kokunda
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kokunda.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Re: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post by Kokunda »

I have just completed this too and I really enjoyed it. The book had so many messages and symbolism that made it one of those great reads in line with Animal Farm and Metamorphosis. It was so simple in its setting yet so powerful in its message. Needless to say, I loved it.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

This book was good but it made me cry. I understood why it had to end that way but it was still heart breaking to me.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This is one of the few books that always makes me cry! Short but powerful novel.
samantha13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by samantha13 »

I think that Of Mice Of Men a very great book to read if you need something to do. I read this book a lot and I still can’t get over the ending. It still make me cry I will read it again and again.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The story I am going to tell you is absolutely true. If you've read the book you'll know what I'm talking about.

When I was a sophomore in high school I read Of Mice and Men and some time thereafter I was watching cartoons. It was one of those Bugs Bunny cartoons where the dog is chasing him. Bugs Bunny hides behind a tree and when the dog runs by Bugs hits him over the head with a frying pan. Well, I'm sure you can imagine the graphics - the dog is stunned and cross-eyed and there is a circle of stars revolving around his head as he tries to stay on his feet and as he is about to fall over he says, "DuhhhHHuuuh, tell me again about the rabbits George." I swear to God I lost it ... I was laughing so hard I was practically on the floor. I still have to laugh whenever I think of it. :lol2:
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I just finished reading this book too. I think Steinbeck leave us with an optimistic message. George and Lennie do not achieve their dream, but their friendship stands out as a shining example of how people can live and love even in a word of alienation and disconnectedness. I loved it!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Jesster1979

Post by Jesster1979 »

Of Mice and Men is truly one of the most well-crafted and honestly written pieces of all time. To expand on “honest”, I mean that we can empathize with George’s changing moods, and his attitudes towards Lenny. He clearly cares deeply for him, but is often frustrated by Lenny’s lack of average intelligence and logic. I have re-read this book many times, and it never fails to provoke an emotional response. I have no doubt that this book will survive the test of time.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Dream Catcher wrote: 11 Jan 2014, 09:58 I studied this book during my last year of secondary school. It was a great book and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone as well as the film. Although, when I turned the first page someone had written "George Shoots Lenny" on the inside cover. This didn't ruin it for me however, which is a great thing because it was such a good read with lots of motifs which were quite interesting once you thought about them in more depth. Great story, tempted to re-read it.
Weirdly enough, I sympathize with your reaction to getting a major plot point spoiled. I tend to appreciate whatever was spoiled for me even more so than if I was going in blind. I think it's because I can see how the author builds up to the point and think about the nuances in real time, rather than analyzing passages retroactively.

That being said, an upperclassman also spoiled the book for me, but because we weren't studying the book in class yet, the comment meant nothing to me at the time. When I did read the book, I was blown away!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I've read this book several times through the years. It was first introduced to me in school. This was the first book we read that I realized most of my classmates weren't actually reading the assigned books but rather reading the cliff-notes for them. They really missed out on this one. Another student and I got into a debate in class (I can't even remember about what now) but most of the other students couldn't contribute because they hadn't read specific passages. I wasn't getting all the questions right about symbolism and things because I hadn't read the answers in the guide, but I still felt I got more out of this book then most.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

I went to an ungraded school for 5-8th grade. There wasn't much of a curriculum and not much required of students. A student teacher handed me a copy of this book and said "I think you'll like this". I loved it. Went on to read everything else Steinbeck wrote. What I like about Steinbeck is that he always has empathy for the Outcasts. He shows compassion for both Lenny and George, recognizes the pain in both of them. He similarly treat the "bums" and "whores" of Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat with respect. Grapes of Wrath and In Dubious Battle show his empathy for the poor, the working man.

Of Mice and Men is still my favorite work of his. One of my all-time favorite books. I've read it several times and it still moves me.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

JRicouard wrote: 16 Jan 2014, 12:34 I am going to be the total oddball here, but when I read "Of Mice and Men" when I was about 16 years old I could not stand it. I am a reader and this was one of those books that I had to push myself through. I have pledged that I will reread it at some point since it is such a classic but I found it so dull at that age I can not get myself to even go to the library and borrow it! Your posts are giving me hope that it is not as awful as I remember but I still feel very cautious about it.
Not an oddball, too much. It wasn't my favorite book. It may be because it is too realistic of what could happen, that too many sincere people don't know their own strength or the impact of their decisions or thoughts. That is to me very very disturbing.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

I've read Of Mice and Men three times, and the ending gets to me every time. Even though I know what's coming and I can see the buildup towards the inevitable end, I still wish the ending would be different. One thing I really enjoyed about the book was the depth that could be obtained from such a short read. There are lessons about morality and ethics (should one shoot a dog in immense, incurable pain, or let them live) and lessons about the historical role of different groups of people.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I read "Of Mice and Men" when I was in high school as part of my English class. I loved it then and I love it still. It has drama and friendship and something for everyone. Especially in todays society with everything going on I feel it is also still relevant. Plus Gary Sinise is in the Movie adaptation and you can't really go wrong there!
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

“A guy goes nuts if he ain’t got nobody. It don’t make any difference who the guy is, so long as he’s with you.” One my favorite quotes of the book, it hold so much significance.
Berry :wine:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

A great book and classic. I really liked the symbolism and constant foreshadowing that Steibeck used here. It was truly a masterpiece.

Return to “Classic Books”