The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joepwow
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joepwow.html

Re: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Post by joepwow »

This was one of my favorite childhood books, but agree didn't fully understand it until I was older. It is always a sad read, seeing as the boy ages how he uses the tree and the tree gives and gives and not getting anything in return. It's a sad acknowledgement of how we as people often abuse the love that we receive.
lemming
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lemming.html
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello

Post by lemming »

briannamarie19 wrote:I remember reading this as a young girl and always crying but never knowing why it was so sad. This was definitely and interesting interpretation of the meaning behind the book.
Thank you for the feedback!

-- 05 Jan 2014, 15:50 --
joepwow wrote:This was one of my favorite childhood books, but agree didn't fully understand it until I was older. It is always a sad read, seeing as the boy ages how he uses the tree and the tree gives and gives and not getting anything in return. It's a sad acknowledgement of how we as people often abuse the love that we receive.
Yeah perhaps it also shows how loving too much almost invites abuse and does both the giver and receiver harm
Sweetirishleo7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetirishleo7.html

Post by Sweetirishleo7 »

I just read this book to my kids, a 6 yr old boy and a 10 yr old girl, for the 1st time a few nights ago. My 6 yr old boy actually teared up and couldnt understand why the tree would give all of himself away and die. He also couldn't understand why the boy didnt show any concern for the tree. My 10 yr old tried to explain to her brother that the tree loved the boy so much and wanted to make him happy and thats why he gave all of himself to the boy. But he just couldn't get it. Personally, I wish I would have read the book to myself before reading it to them. I do not recommend reading this to any age child if they have a love for nature. I'm 34 yrs old and I hated the book. I hated it so much, I threw it away 10 minutes after finishing it.
lemming

Post by lemming »

Sweetirishleo7 wrote:I just read this book to my kids, a 6 yr old boy and a 10 yr old girl, for the 1st time a few nights ago. My 6 yr old boy actually teared up and couldnt understand why the tree would give all of himself away and die. He also couldn't understand why the boy didnt show any concern for the tree. My 10 yr old tried to explain to her brother that the tree loved the boy so much and wanted to make him happy and thats why he gave all of himself to the boy. But he just couldn't get it. Personally, I wish I would have read the book to myself before reading it to them. I do not recommend reading this to any age child if they have a love for nature. I'm 34 yrs old and I hated the book. I hated it so much, I threw it away 10 minutes after finishing it.
The book certainly evokes a strong emotional reaction in most who read it. I never thought of it as being unsuitable for children, mostly because it portrays the boy's selfishness in an unmistakably negative light, although the consequences are subtler than they might be in some children's stories. Your comment about it being disturbing to those with a love for nature is interesting - I never thought of the story as perhaps being an allegory about what men do the environment. Thank you for the feedback!
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

This is a book that my mom and I fight about. She loves it, and she read it to me all the time when I was growing up. She sees it as a story about unconditional love, where the tree loves the boy so much that she will do anything for him, and that's beautiful. I see it as a very clearly abusive relationship, where the boy demands and takes and completely destroys this self-less beautiful thing with his inability to look beyond his own desires. Needless to say, my mom thinks that I am a destroyer of childhoods.
lemming

Post by lemming »

jhollan2 wrote:This is a book that my mom and I fight about. She loves it, and she read it to me all the time when I was growing up. She sees it as a story about unconditional love, where the tree loves the boy so much that she will do anything for him, and that's beautiful. I see it as a very clearly abusive relationship, where the boy demands and takes and completely destroys this self-less beautiful thing with his inability to look beyond his own desires. Needless to say, my mom thinks that I am a destroyer of childhoods.
I think you're both right - the boy abuses the unconditional love.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

Loveabull wrote:All of Shel Siverstein's writing is perfect. I think however it's better appreciated by pre-teens and up to adults. "The Giving Tree" is like "Love You Forever"...the cycle of life, sad but true.
I don't know, my third grade teacher read his poetry books to us every day after lunch. While there are more serious ones like "No Difference" and "The Little Boy and Old Man", I think they both have valuable lessons that should be taught from a young age, and that can be understood and appreciated by young ones more than adults often think. As you can see those two have stuck with me even now, years and years later. I also recall his more fun poems like "Police man police man, help me please! Someone went and stole my knees! I'd chase them down, but i suspect my feet and legs just wont connect"...oh yes, that was from memory. I also have Mrs. Mctwitter the babysitter memorized lol. My point is, Silverstein did a good job of mixing serious poems with just plain silly ones, and making them intellectually accessible to children. Yet nothing ever felt dumbed down, as children often feel adults have a tendency to do when addressing serious topics.

Back on the topic of The Giving Tree, I loved this book as a child and still do today. It was one of those "must buy for my children" books. It's also interesting to see what so many other people have gotten out of it. Thanks for opening this line of discussion.
lemming

Post by lemming »

Back on the topic of The Giving Tree, I loved this book as a child and still do today. It was one of those "must buy for my children" books. It's also interesting to see what so many other people have gotten out of it. Thanks for opening this line of discussion.
It's good bookclub material cuz it's so open to interpretation, a part of many people's childhoods and such a quick read. I don't know much about silverstein and ended up reading the giving tree because it was mentioned in an episode of family guy. I'd really like to get hold of "now here's my plan" cuz it seems more geared at adults and to showcase more of his humour you mentioned, although according to the wiki some people see the titular cartoon as pessimistic, even though he says he didn't intend that at all.
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

That doesn't surprise me. I noticed his last book of poems had a darker feel to them as well. I thought they may have been some of his poems the publishers saw might work for a children's book and put them together themselves; especially because the book had been published after his death. I wondered if he never meant for some of those poems to go out into the world as they did.
lemming

Post by lemming »

ALRyder wrote:That doesn't surprise me. I noticed his last book of poems had a darker feel to them as well. I thought they may have been some of his poems the publishers saw might work for a children's book and put them together themselves; especially because the book had been published after his death. I wondered if he never meant for some of those poems to go out into the world as they did.
Which book do you mean? I had a look at "runny babbit" which was published posthumously but that seemed light in tone
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

Every Thing On It. Don't get me wrong, there are still some great poems, but I probably had a funny look on my face the first time I read:

"The Game"
I'm glad you came.
Let's play a game.
Called Crook and Police Dog Rover.
I bite your eye,
And now you die,
And now the game is over.
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I remember this book well. It was really sad but I've never actually thought about its meaning until I got older.
standi69
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Mislaid
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standi69.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by standi69 »

I loved this book and so did my girls. We thought that when the boy was little he gave the tree everything just like children do to everything. When he grows up life gets in the way, it is sad but in old age the boy and the tree found each other again as best friends and gave what they had.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

standi69 wrote:I loved this book and so did my girls. We thought that when the boy was little he gave the tree everything just like children do to everything. When he grows up life gets in the way, it is sad but in old age the boy and the tree found each other again as best friends and gave what they had.
Standi69, in what ways do you see the little boy giving the tree everything? I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts on this.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I love Shel Silverstein's work, but I really did not like The Giving Tree as a kid. I remember my teacher reading it to us in school and thinking that it was sad and very unhealthy. As an adult, I appreciate it more, but it's still not going to make my top ten list.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Return to “Classic Books”