The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Re: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Post by KLyons1 »

My least favorite Silverstein. As others have said, I disliked it because the boy never gives the tree anything. My frustration with his lack of appreciation and courtesy outweighed the lessons of sacrifice to be learned from the tree.

Where the Sidewalk Ends, on the other hand, is a book I have given to each of my nieces and nephews, because there's something in there for everyone :)
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
audre_child
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audre-child.html

Post by audre_child »

I was read this as a child, but didn't fully understand the context and meaning of the story until later in life. It is a very emotional book I found myself greatly intrigued by.
pt_12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pt_12 »

It has been a recurring book throughout my life. It makes me more sad now. Not even depressed -- just sad. Because I have a stronger sense of empathy, because it connects humans to nature both literally -- in both definitions of the word -- and allegorically. It tells us that we take a lot for nature, it tells us that we take recurring people in our lives for granted, tells us about our parents, our friends, our pets. It poignantly tells us about aging.
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

When I read it has a child, I was sad but didn't understand why: how can I feel for both characters, that's not how books work, there is a good guy and a bad guy. Those were my thoughts as a child. I have re-read the book and I now feel for both the tree and understand that a person can feel for both the antagonist and protagonist in a story.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

This is a really sad book. It is a classic because pretty much no matter your age, you will experience a strong emotional response from reading it. I like it a lot.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

This is definitely a book that could touch people of all ages; children learn something different from it at different ages; adults find connection to it based on past experiences. Definitely a book to buy, treasure, and bring out for a read throughout the years. <3
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

This was the first Silverstein book that I read. I read it countless times as a child and eventually understood the true meaning. I really liked it but I do believe Silverstein has better poetry.
I think there is a strong lesson within the book and think it's good for children to read.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Post by darkandstormyknight »

I remember reading this as a kid! It made me sad, still does. I think I thought that something was wrong with their relationship back then, but it really hits me now, I don't think I really got it back then.
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

I was read this story when I was very young. (Probably second grade or so) I remember enjoying the book, and thinking that it was nice that the tree and the man in the end had each other.
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

I'd say I enjoy his poetry books far more than this one. The boy never gave anything back to the tree, he just took everything until there was nothing left but a stump. He should've given something back, like planted another tree close by so that tree wouldn't be lonely while the boy was away or something.
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I'm always so sad when I read this book. I've actually stopped re-reading it entirely because it makes me so sad. I agree with your thoughts on it. It would appear that this is the message the author is getting across.
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

I love Shel Silverstein's book but this one was my favorite. Nowadays I can't find people who've heard of him. The Giving Tree was such a good book!
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

This is my favorite book to read to my kids. Yes its sad, but it has layers.

I once talked to my 7yr old about how stories can mean something more than just what you read, and pulled this book out as an example. I told her " Mommy is the tree, and mommy simply wants you to be happy." Then we talked a lot about how happiness comes from within and others cant make you happy if you are not.

Its a book full of lessons for all generations.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
ariesdollface
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariesdollface.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre" by Enrico Massetti

Post by ariesdollface »

did not expect to find a forum on The Giving Tree. it seems so appropriate though because it's an amazing book that is also really very widely read (at least by the people i know). I don't remember how old i was when my mother brought this book home but i know that i was reading this as early as 6 or 7 years old. it always made sad, and angry with the little boy. but it's such a true reflection of the many asymmetrical relationships we encounter in life. it's pretty impressive that a book can resonate so widely. i suppose that's about as good a measure as any to consider a book a work of greatness.
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre" by Enrico Massetti
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

Maybe I should go re-read this book (it's been years since I've read it). I remember being sad but I didn't think deep enough into it to see what a lot of these other people saw. But I loved Shel Silverstein as a kid, but I don't remember this one being my favorite from him.
Wind Wise wrote:I'd say I enjoy his poetry books far more than this one. The boy never gave anything back to the tree, he just took everything until there was nothing left but a stump. He should've given something back, like planted another tree close by so that tree wouldn't be lonely while the boy was away or something.
I never thought about giving him another tree friend but that is a brilliant idea!

Return to “Classic Books”