Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Post by Joe Candle »

Dracula by Bram Stoker is an interesting book; I've read it with great pleasure. Considering that this is a never-getting old classic you shouldn't expect anything extraordinary new in this book, but anyway if you wish to come to terms with the classical vampire books that this book is definitely worth it.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

This book made me know what was called vampires
Noblefausty101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noblefausty101.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Noblefausty101 »

I've seen the movie, didn't read the book. I really enjoyed the movie. Made me imagine the world of vampires monsters and humans living together.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

One of the og horror stories there are! Read it a few years ago and would definitely re-read it
Mpilis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mpilis »

How I love vampire books! Therefore, I gladly took up the vampire classics. For its time, it was a bold work, inspiring fear in readers, but not widely known, and today the novel "Dracula" has already become a legend itself. I will not describe the plot and characters. They are known to everyone thanks to pop culture, feature films of different years "based on" and "screen adaptations", with one or another degree of accuracy conveying to us the plot of the book and their interpretation of the characters. And I would like to dwell on the pros and cons of the book itself. The book is written in the epistolary genre. I would not call myself either a fan of this genre or an opponent. But in the course of reading, I caught myself thinking that, glancing at these letters and excerpts from diaries, I read very carefully, trying not to miss the crumbs of the information that interests me. And I read without stopping. Perhaps that is why I fully felt how something evil penetrates the lives of the heroes. The main plus of the book is the main character, a kind of classic vampire in our understanding. An image woven from European folklore and traits characteristic of the heroes of the era of romanticism. One of the main advantages I think is the presence of the character Renfield, Dracula's crazy henchman. His image is very important, he personifies the destructive effect of a vampire on people, his ability to subdue the human will, breaking the psyche. A good but not the best vampire novel. Let's not forget that it was written back in 1897. Perhaps that is why for our contemporaries the plot is not dynamic enough, and the descriptions are lengthy. Personally, I did not have enough emotional tension, a sense of horror, albeit fleeting, that books on this subject should evoke. Still, I highly value Stoker's book first and foremost as an exemplar of the classic vampire book. I would love to read a modern vampire book with the same classic vampire approach.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I love horror books all thanks to Dracula played by Christopher Lee. Last year, I read Dracula by Bram Stoker. First off, the book has about 1000 +pages and I had to read it on an app. Overall, I enjoyed it although it took me up to a month to finish reading it.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

I've read the book a few times by now. I usually end up re-reading Dracula after watching or reading some form of modern vampire entertainment and then wanting to revisit the classic. I think Bram Stoker's Dracula is the most terrifying and best written vampire story out there. Anne Rice's series comes close in some respects but I believe the original did it best.
Anik Mahmud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Anik Mahmud »

I love this book and Dracula movies..this book is very interesting for me.I watched many of dracula movies..Really this book is lovely and interesting.
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amberly Ayra »

There are many Dracula movies but they hardly resemble the book. When we see the character in another story, sometimes they show him very cliché. That's why I think a lot of movie writers haven't read the book. But okay, I guess somehow Dracula inspires them. If they made a very attached movie, people would feel very calm compared to the others. However, I highly recommend Dracula, it is one of my favorite books.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

One of the best vampire stories of all time. This storyline gave the vampire stories a background.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie in many versions. I think I will also try out the book.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I never read it because I always thought it be a weird half assed story. I am Romanian and it seemed to me like it was an insult to my culture. Now I realize that it's just someone's imagination. But why is it in the classics.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I'm yet to read this book. This is one of a few classic that I'm yet to read.
chrltt3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chrltt3 »

I believe Stoker portrays the perennial fear of the 'other' in his character of Dracula, reflecting the shift of Fin-de-Siecle Gothic from distant, Rennaissance settings to the contemporary, industrialising present; deformed, supernatural villains to evil being hidden in the minds and souls of people around us... in short, as the Gothic genre started to close in on its readership, Dracula hopped on a boat and invaded (yet integrated into) this English imperialist society, corrupting its residents and almost creating his own race. This arguable fear of immigrants is still seen today, as newspapers sensationalise stories of packed boats reaching British shores, inciting fear -and almost blame- for those with different cultures to us, seeking a better life.

I would definitely recommend reading Dracula -especially as we near Halloween! - because, once you have trudged through the rather unstructured and laughable middle, you can witness the fall of the creature who is wrongly cited as the 'classic' or original vampire; the creature who is an amalgam of the Byronic tropes and Nosferatu, civilised yet savage; the creature whose foreign 'otherness' is exacerbated since he renders our fear of death trivial, inspiring instead a terrifying fear of immortality...
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I found it very difficult to read. It was written from different perspectives at different tines and I found it quite confusing.

Return to “Classic Books”