Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Northernbird84
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Re: Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Post by Northernbird84 » 19 Jul 2018, 07:29

By far one of my favourite books. Parts gave me chills, such as when the seemingly abandoned ship floats into Whitby.
I may be biased as Whitby is one of my favourite places in the world to go and I visit as often as I can. I know the Abbey and I know the scenery so well that at times I place myself within the story. This is a book I can reread over and over again.

The novel is horror, whereas the film focuses on Romance. The two - whilst both good - are very different beasts.

I highly recommend it.

Hannah_Vibbert
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert » 01 Aug 2018, 01:00

This has always been one of my favorite books. I've read it several times throughout the years and always seem to find something new to live about it but the reason I was initially drawn in was the visuals that I would get while reading. Though lengthy and somewhat boring, the descriptive passages paint beautiful pictures to go along with the narrative.

Abigail R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 108
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R » 01 Aug 2018, 08:33

This book has been sitting on my shelf forever! I have heard before that it is a slow read so I haven't been in the mindset yet to read it. I will have to finally give it a try soon.

Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Melekwe Anthony » 25 Sep 2018, 00:08

"Dracula" isn't just any book. Unlike the film and other books on vampires. I think Stoker really brought out the romantic-horror he wanted that can not be replaced or further improved.

The thing about "Dracula" by Bram Stoker is how it holds you in place for minutes without breath. You have suspicions when you read it: "was he the driver? How would John escape? If Lucy gets blood from Hon. Arthur, wouldn't the Count come for him? Mina would have to un-tie John's book"

Despite being a horror book, "Dracula"
Still has it's comedy, like when they (find out who THEY are yourselves) discovered Lucy's mother had opened the windows for the garlic to go out and the Professor's reaction.

The book also has beautiful wise quotes. One of which is "knowledge is stronger than memory, we must not trust the weaker"

Enjoy the book

Pinknails10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Pinknails10 » 01 Oct 2018, 02:23

Dracula evil drinks blood of humans and has a dark alter. Vampires and woman victims turn evil.There is a good ending they put stagger in Draculars back.Dracular and his bitting victims cruel way to live. Interesting novel Mina lucky not to be bitten. Thank you

Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Melekwe Anthony » 12 Oct 2018, 14:07

Review of Dracula By Bram Stoker
Published the good days, Dracula has become a sensation till now as even the latest episodes of 2018 serial movies have the protons of the vampire lord.

The story is written with combos of Diaries, Journals, newspapers and so on. Making it hard to say this book is written in first-person. This complex but simple narrative begins with Jonathan Harkers.
Jonathan is a solicitor who goes on a journey to Transylvania to give detail to a rich Count. To his shock, the Count is a Dreaded monster. His name...Dracula. Stoker points out his main quality- "the dead travels fast".
Jonathan is questioned beyond the house sale unknown to him that the Dracula is headed for England. He lives Jonathan to his doom.
The character Lucy becomes a pray for the count bringing in together Prof Van Helsing, Mr Morris, Dr Seward, Mina Harkers, and Lord Arthur to her aid but it her loss, they must find a way to set her free from UNDead.
The tides rise again when Dracula goes after her friend, Mina as a lesson to her husband, Jonathan and the latter men who try to seek him out.
The best part I like about this book is
"Knowledge is stronger than memory, we must never trust the weaker"
In this book, I think this the guide.

Return to “Classic Books”